View Poll Results: Is background noise an issue for you?
Yes, it makes parks much less enjoyable. 3 12.00%
It can be an occasional issue. 8 32.00%
Not really a problem. 8 32.00%
What noise, I don't hear any noise... 6 24.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
aliso viejo , California
Smile Blocking out background noise.

Is background noise a problem for any of you? Do you have any of the following issues?
Trouble sleeping at parks.
Other campers noisy neighbors.
Need to sooth a child or pet.
Want to increase focus or block out annoyances.

I work with a company that builds electronic parts for Airstream and we would like to know if the addition of a noise masking sound generator would be an helpful for Airstream users?

Please let us know if sound blocking would be helpful. Your help and stories are welcome!

Matt

Old 04-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I like to use the air conditioner on fan, AC or the heat pump to conceal noise especially squealing and shouting kids, roller skates, big wheels etc. Early morning lawn mowers are a nuisance as well. I use it to drown out outside noise to sleep and also to keep the dog from being tempted to bark at noises he hears and to muffle his occassional bark. On the road I put on the radio's rear speakers in the bedroom to be less distracted from truck and road noise but that doesn't work as well. There are also times, but not as often, that I have to listen to my music just to keep from hearing someone else's.

Interesting idea Matt.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Quesnel , British Columbia
I am a shift worker and sometimes am bothered by those things. I think you have a good idea, but I'm not sure there is a lot of room for innovation. There are already options like running the fan, using the stereo for noise... and gizmos you can buy and plug in like you propose.

I'd be interested on hearing your thoughts on how you'd improve on this...
Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Noise Masking

We find the Dometic 15K AC/heat pump is so loud it masks almost all outside noise when running in either AC or heat pump mode. It also masks the television and stereo system sound output! It is the most significant noise irritant we experience with the Airstream, particularly as it cycles on and off during the night. The LP furnace fan and water pump are also extremely loud.

In this owner's opinion Airstream should focus on reducing the noise output from the internal appliances before worrying about masking noise outside the trailer. If the internal appliances were quieter, I'd be able to hear the outside noise and perhaps then be interested in a white noise or some other sound suppression system.
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
(formerly doug&maggie)

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The use of the vent or AC fan is a good white noise generator. There are also white noise/soothing sounds CD's available, if one needs them.

I would hate to see a gadget added that duplicates the functions of other items, that would increase costs for an already costly item.

I think that what most want is the highest quality workmanship in what are already beautiful units.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
For me I've been quite impressed how quiet it is. Generally quieter than motels I stay in. The RV'ers tend to go to bed early.

Once in a great while I'll be camped next to a scout group etc. which can get noisy. But at least for me, that has been infrequently.

My Dometic AC white noise will cover just about anything. But I haven't yet used it for that purpose.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Interesting concept but as others have pointed out, it may be redundant.

If the AC is running, it's a hot day/night which = exhaustion (like most Canadians, I don't handle the heat very well) and I could sleep through an atomic blast!

I have only stayed in one RV park and if that's any indication (as tpi wrote) RVers do go to bed early. When I walked the dog at 10:30 pm, I was the only one up! I think the state/provincial campgrounds attract the late-night party types.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
I lost 82 percent hearing in one ear and 80 percent in the other. The more hearing loss, the more sensitive one becomes to noise, regardless of the source. Ones ability to make sense of it all is compoundedly difficult as the number of sound sources increase.

So adding white noise for the sake of white noise is not something I would want... If I wanted white noise, I would look for something like a portable Hepa system that at least provides a service with the loss of quietness.

If I really want to deal with noise, and could afford it, I would subscribe to Lyric hearing aids (Lyric Hearing Aid - Extended Wear Hearing Aids - Invisible Hearing Aids), which makes everything go dead silent when turned off!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
NA

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude , WNY
Thumbs up

These werk well for me, with the added benefit of musik.

Bob
Old 04-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Rarely does outside noise bother us. The noisy furnace, A/C, stove fan, Fantastic Fans and water pump are more of a problem and Airstream should deal with that, but they won't. A simple white noise generator would solve any problems for light sleepers. There are plenty of CD's with nature sounds that could also mask noise.

I think you would have to sell Airstream on this and since they cut costs all the time, it would have to be really cheap and use the standard sound system.

You might also look at a thread where people are saying they are having lots of trouble making the sound system, BluRay player and TV work together. If you are supplying those electronics, maybe you need to solve those problems. One of them: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...ml#post1136972 I think this is showing up elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Gene
Old 04-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Blocking out background noise.

My home is located on a very busy county highway, and unfortunately, my partents chose to build the home much too close to that highway so almost any campground is quieter than my home. There have only been two times since 1995 when I have been parked in a location where masking the exterior noise would have been beneficial and both of those times I was parked in unknown campgrounds and my neighbors were having beer bashes . . . I was just relieved that I was only staying overnight in each of those locations.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #12

2007 25' Safari
Cresco , Pennsylvania
I use Bose headphones with a book on tape on low volume. Once I am asleep the noise doesn't bother me. I've also used a pillow over the ears.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
I'm an apartment dweller when I'm not camping. Campgrounds, including the state parks I've visited, have uniformly been quieter and more restful than staying home!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

"In a perfect world, I'd be given enough time to wrap up one emergency before the next one starts." Freefall2013
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Tub City , British Columbia
Is it those constant ocean breakers that are hard to sleep through?

I would not want to add any artificial noise to my camping experience. After a while your mind tunes out what is not of concern but still allows the unusual to be heard. (eg camping gear walking off, or increase in wind, or animals, etc.)

Dave