Old 04-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Columbia , South Carolina
Awning with Screen/Tent attachment

Does anyone have experience with those awnings which have the detachable/attachable screen/tent flaps? Sure sounds good in theory, but I haven't seen them in practice on Airstreams.

I have a 2009 27FB Flying Cloud, lived on it full time for about 8 months. Loved it. Still love it and heading out on a long journey from South Carolina to NC, VA, MD, then across to Denver, and beyond. Leaving in about 4 weeks and am getting the Silver Parachute all spritzed up. Denver will see me getting flexible solar panels. A long held dream.

Anyone out there with experience on the awning screen/tents? Please give whatever advice you have.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
We made our own after seeing prices for the new ones. We made it out of screen panels used for the 12x12 pop up structures. We put snaps on the trailer and made a skirt with material to hang down at the bottom of the trailer. We love it so much we are currently making one for our 86 trailer we are restoring.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrParachut View Post
Does anyone have experience with those awnings which have the detachable/attachable screen/tent flaps? Sure sounds good in theory, but I haven't seen them in practice on Airstreams.

I have a 2009 27FB Flying Cloud, lived on it full time for about 8 months. Loved it. Still love it and heading out on a long journey from South Carolina to NC, VA, MD, then across to Denver, and beyond. Leaving in about 4 weeks and am getting the Silver Parachute all spritzed up. Denver will see me getting flexible solar panels. A long held dream.

Anyone out there with experience on the awning screen/tents? Please give whatever advice you have.
I had a "rope & pole" awning & "add a room" made for my 59 Ambassador International about 10 years ago. The walls were done in the same sunbrella fabric as the awning. The screens go from about 2 1/2' from the ground up to the top of the wall. They also have roll up fabric blinds built onto the wall that are secured down by velcro, if you want to cut the wind or add privacy. The wall sections zip onto the perimeter of the awning. The created room is 18' X 10' & is the best thing I ever did to the trailer. The room is large enough to create a folding chair room layout, it keeps the bugs out in mosquito territory, wind & rain out in stormy times, plus we like to use it in the colder shoulder seasons with a portable propane heater. As it has multiple configurations, you can set it up to suit a variety of conditions.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
Formally 'tiger'

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Skatiero and Colin
Do either of you have pictures?
Thanks
Old 02-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrParachut View Post

By far and away, Zip Dee has made the finest products of what your looking for.

They have been on top of the "best" awnings, rooms, etc, for many years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeocamperAS View Post
Skatiero and Colin
Do either of you have pictures?
Thanks
Ahhh, somewhere I'll hunt around.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
I have one for my Interstate, which has a Fiamma awning. I like the extra enclosed space, but I don't bother bringing it unless I'm going to be occupying a site for at least a week. The time to set up and tear down isn't worth the effort for shorter stays.

Plus since the edges have to be staked down all around, it's not really usable at paved campsites.

Last time I used mine, an unexpected thunderstorm caused me to take down the screen room in a gawd-awful hurry and pack it away wet, and retract the awning lest the wind tear it apart. It's more weather-resistant than the awning alone because it is staked down better, and because the wind doesn't get underneath as easily if I roll down the plastic windows to cover the screen. But considering what I paid for it I didn't want to take the chance of damage. Checking the online Weather Channel 10-day forecast to make sure there won't be any wind gusts over about 20~25 mph for the next several days before setting it up would be a prudent move.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0073 resized.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	205548   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0074 resized.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	205549  

Name:	DSCN0075 resized.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	205550   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0077 Resized.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	205551  

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

"In a perfect world, I'd be given enough time to wrap up one emergency before the next one starts." Freefall2013
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
Here is ours. You can see more photos on this thread: (post 56 is ours)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...3&d=1374799395
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1184525512.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	663.6 KB
ID:	205566   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-531212611.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	577.7 KB
ID:	205567  

Old 02-13-2014, 10:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
Sorry, the link didn't work. Not sure why I can't get it to work- sorry.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
Sorry, my link won't work. Not sure why.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Virginia Beach , Virginia
While screen room additions to awnings are neat I wouldn't have one until I retire. Simply I'm often away from the trailer for 12 hours and the gust of wind of heavy rain could damage the awning and the airstream. I'd probably go with a freestanding screenroom instead. With luck you might find one on deep discount if you buy before spring.

Paula

Today is a gift,
that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:15 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
While screen room additions to awnings are neat I wouldn't have one until I retire. Simply I'm often away from the trailer for 12 hours and the gust of wind of heavy rain could damage the awning and the airstream. I'd probably go with a freestanding screenroom instead. With luck you might find one on deep discount if you buy before spring.

Paula
I actually have one of those as well, a lighted Coleman Instant Canopy. It includes four battery-powered LED light fixtures permanently attached to the rafters. To enclose the canopy, I got the Instant Canopy Screen Wall. And to provide a solid wall to serve as a wndbreak, privacy screen, or to block late afternoon sun, I also picked up a Coleman Instant Canopy Sunwall. Actually three of them, so I can provide solid walls on up to three sides if I want. The sunwalls can attach either with or without the screen walls. To date I've only needed to use two sunwalls at the same time, though, on the south and west sides of the canopy in midsummer.

I use the Coleman canopy, with or without the screen walls or sunwalls, far more often than I use the Fiamma Privacy Room attached to my awning. There's more flexibity about where to set it up, especially handy for campsites where a picnic table is provided but there's no roof over it. Alternately, by setting up the canopy right alongside the awning, I can extend my shady space when there's no tree cover.

Plus, if a sudden storm pops up, I don't have to worry much about the canopy damaging my Interstate, unlike the awning. If the canopy is destroyed, I can just toss it in a dumpster. On the other hand, if the awning was destroyed, I might have to borrow a tall stepladder and spend several hours removing the danged thing from the Airstream before I could drive it home.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

"In a perfect world, I'd be given enough time to wrap up one emergency before the next one starts." Freefall2013
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
We love our screen tent. We can put it up in less than five minutes-- more like three! It more than doubles the size of our living space, and we like to hang a sheet from one end of the awning and project movies for the kids. It's a blast! It takes the same amount of time to take down if a big storm is coming and we need to put the awning away. I was really bummed when I realized that the awning on our "new" airstream is longer, so the screen tent we made wont fit! We will include it in the same when we sell the '29 this spring and I will have to sew another for the the '32. Bummer. It works great for us!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Topeka , Kansas
Do we just contact Zip Dee to get the panels? Is there such a thing as an awning being too long to safely add the additional weight? We have a 34' AS and the awning is pretty long.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Airstream Forums mobile app