Voters: 1274. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2005, 01:12 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I have a tough time keeping it @ or below 65, We have gone several thousand miles towing a camper. Towing the SOB we started with a S10 Blazer was a white-knuckle experience, even with weight distribution bars. Upgraded to our current truck and it towed better. The Trade Wind tows great and at times I forget it is back there for brief moments.

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:47 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
The sweet spot on my rig is 67 mph. But get a little tail wind and it creeps up over 70 on the interstate.

Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:36 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I think my average towing speed is alot lower than 55 mph.

The higher averages reflected on this poll would indicate alot of Interstate travel. We tend to avoid the Interstate Highway system and take a more leisurely drive along the scenic byways with lots of stops to take in the local attactions. That's the most fun in "getting there"!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:48 PM   #60
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
WOW! Hope none of you travelling at those high speeds ever gets a flat!

Shari

Traveling solo, I drive hard but with the Airstream my role as a responsible driver takes on a different dimension. My passengers and the drivers around me expect that I know what I am doings and towing within the law.

Towing, I tend to run 62-68, sometimes a litter slower or a bit faster; it all depends on the road conditions, terrain, visibility and wind. Towing fast is very fatiguing.

We have never had a flat and Id like to keep it that way. While at Jackson Center, I saw a couple of Airstreams that were in for body repairs due to wheel/tire failures. I dont plan to have this experience but hope to respond in a safe manor.

One thought that always stays in my mind, Im pulling an Icon/Legend/Art and something that always brings smiles and compliments along the way. I want it to be clean; the impression it leaves will be remembered!
Old 07-21-2005, 05:11 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Tire Rating

Correct me if I am wrong! My 30 foot Excella has Goodyear marathon tires on it that are speed rated at 65 miles per hour. Doesn't that mean that it is unsafe to exceed that speed.
You guys must be using different tires or are you unaware of the speed rating?
Personally when towing in third gear I prefer to drive at about 65 miles per hour to get the power curve benefit but try to keep it under 60.
Al
Old 07-21-2005, 05:50 PM   #62

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl
Correct me if I am wrong! My 30 foot Excella has Goodyear marathon tires on it that are speed rated at 65 miles per hour. Doesn't that mean that it is unsafe to exceed that speed.
Al
Al, its a known fact that excessive speed lowers the rated capacity of any tire. I may drop a line to Goodyear and see if they can send me something that would reflect the capacity of the Marathon as speed increases.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:52 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I tend to drive fast most of the time but it seems with the trailer in tow I stick to the speed limit very closely, which in Canada is mostly 60'ish mph. I did travel with a group a month back who were mostly comfortable at 50 to 55 and boy, did I notice a difference in gas mileage with the 455 engine running a tad slower. The nice part of this, but maybe it's bad too, is that the Airstream tucks in so nicely behind the wagon and tows so nicely it's easy to just get moving and stay moving and it's virtually non-existant back there. I do believe it surprises a lot of people, particularly on very long mountain climbs, to have both a 1957 Pontiac stationwagon pulling what's obviously a very old trailer pass them and disappear in the distance. Barry
Old 07-26-2005, 11:41 AM   #64

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Al, its a known fact that excessive speed lowers the rated capacity of any tire. I may drop a line to Goodyear and see if they can send me something that would reflect the capacity of the Marathon as speed increases.

Jack
I just got my response from Goodyear.

"Thank you for contacting our website.
Unfortunately we do not have data that documents the weight carrying capacity of a Marathon trailer tire relative to speed.

The Marathon trailer tires are speed rated for 65mph.

We do have a Recreational Vehicle Tire and Care Guide, which we have mailed to you. It provides useful information on tire pressures, load capacities, speed ratings, etc.

Thank you for writing and have a good day."

So the bottom line on this issue is that once you exceed 65 mph. you are overdriving the Marathons.....and what this translates into is the max load capacity of the tire starts its downwards curve.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:30 PM   #65
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
[QUOTE=jcanavera]I just got my response from Goodyear.

Jack,

Thanks for following up on this:

Response from Goodyear, the Marathon trailer tires are speed rated for 65mph and the this issue is that once you exceed 65 mph you are overdriving the Marathons...and what this translates into is the max load capacity of the tire starts its downwards curve.

We start vacation on Saturday, so I will be more aware of this information from Goodyear, what an eye opener!

Since Diesel prices are $2.50+ I don't mind watching the speed more closely.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerbadbrad
Because most roads are not completely flat though, I accelerate to gain speed while descending a hill so as to take advantage of gravity (pedal is at about 3/4) I usually let off before I reach 80 mph though. Then when I begin ascending the next hill I keep the accelerator pedal at 3/4 and allow the momentum from my weight and speed to get me to the top. I will increase acceleration only if I drop to less than 50 mph. This is how experienced truckers drive. Cruise control costs money by decelerating down hills and accelerating up them.
bbb
That's what I've been doing too. Only problem was that on our recent trip to Alaska the worst bump always seemed to be at the bottom of a hill. They mark them with orange flags stuck into the shoulder of the road. Just when I'd see a nice downhill grade to pick up some speed, I'd see those orange flags and have to slow down right at the bottom.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:17 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
62 to 63 mpg

I have settled on 62 to 63 mph; whichever speed the cruise control locks in on. This puts me at 1900 rpm, which is the torque peak for the Duramax. I didn't calculate the mileage for the St Louis trip, but some fast mental calculations puts me right at 15 mpg pulling the 28 Classic.

Since fuel has soared, I find that the big trucks have tempered their speeds a bit. Most passed me at not much more than I was doing. I actually passed a few. Nice thing is that with the smaller speed differential, the wake of the semis is barely felt.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:04 AM   #68
1 Rivet Member

I just towed my streamliner home yesterday and It wasn't enjoyable to say the least.
18 wheel rigs passing me ( and they were flying ) would cause a fish tail if I were driving any faster than 40-45.
I WILL be finding a better way to have control before I start on any long trips
Old 08-18-2005, 08:37 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
More information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine sam
I just towed my streamliner home yesterday and It wasn't enjoyable to say the least.
18 wheel rigs passing me ( and they were flying ) would cause a fish tail if I were driving any faster than 40-45.
I WILL be finding a better way to have control before I start on any long trips
If you want help from the forum, we will have to know a few things. What is your trailer, your tow vehicle, your hitch, and your sway control, if any?

Even without sway control, a properly hitched tow-vehicle/trailer combination with adequate tongue weight should not be that unstable. By properly hitched, I mean having sufficient hitch weight, the ball at the proper height so that the trailer is level, and the tow vehicle not nose up due to excessive hitch weight.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:42 AM   #70
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
Sunshine Sam,

A few questions that would be helpful in addressing your tow issues.

1. What age & length Airstream are you towing?

2. Tow Vehicle?

3. Are you using any weight distribution or sway control hitch?

4. Have you checked for trailer contents for weight loading?

5. Trailer tires (are they trailer tires or passenger tires)?

6. Condition of shock absorbers on Trailer and Tow Vehicle?