Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: your towing speed
55mph 167 13.03%
60mph 477 37.21%
65mph 460 35.88%
70mph 145 11.31%
75 mph or faster 33 2.57%
Voters: 1282. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2015, 08:10 AM   #281
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
You know, every now and then you come across a situation when driving that isn't to your liking. Often there's little you can do about it so you just have to "suck it up" and move on. In this case, there could have been any number of reasons the bus was traveling slowly but, unless he was in a minimum speed zone, it doesn't look like there was any poor driving, only driving to suit the comfort of the passengers on the bus. There would be no reason for the bus driver to make his riders uncomfortable just to make your descent down the hill more to your liking. It's a bummer for you, sure, but you just have to deal with it at the time. Full disclosure here; I'm a bus driver. I do take notice of people around me on the road, but my first priority is my rider's comfort and safety.

That said, I can remember only too clearly getting stuck on a forty mile stretch of narrow, English road behind ten or more steam driven vehicles doing 10mph. The law requires them to pull over from time to time to let people past but, when there's a convoy of said vehicles on a narrow road, it's not always possible to be "nice" to the other road users. I just had to throttle back, wait for an opportunity to pass and enjoy the smell of burning coal and lubricating oil. GDSF - Great Dorset Steam Fair
👍🏻 like button needed.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:43 AM   #282
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I am not sure about safety and slow speeds. When leaving Durango there was a 6% grade, and the speed limit is 65mph down hill. Most cars are speeding down this hill.

I was doing about 55mph to maintain control and going fine in 2nd gear, UNTIL a bus probably in 1st gear going 40 MPH! I had just come around a bend when I spotted him and had to burn up my trailer brakes attempting to decelerate to this dangerous speed, dropping down into 1st even. Mind you, this is not a difficult grade. There are curves, but all very drivable. I was maintaining a perfect 55mph. But once I'm behind him I'm going 35-40mph in a 65mph downhill where most cars are speeding. Before I was just coasting down the hill, perfectly in gear at a safe speed. Now I'm applying my trailer brake, over and over and over, to keep from plowing into this guy. Mind you, I'm tanks full going to a dump station after 18 days boondocking. I was not pleased. And mind you, this is not a 1-mile stretch, this was over at least 3-4 miles.

I eventually got to a place where I could pass and lay on my horn. That's not safe. That's dangerous. There was a line of vehicles slamming on their brakes behind me.

There is being safe, and then there is being asinine.

I typically tow around 65mph, if the speed limit is 70mph+ I stay in the right-hand lane and out of the left.

The only question is the "at fault".

If you weren't prepared for a vehicle stopped, not slowed, well . . . . Doesn't matter about "why" the bus is slow.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Were I the bus driver I'd have called the highway patrol about your before and after behavior.

Try it in an eighteen wheeler. As truckers say, "a bus full of schoolchildren or nuns". Be sure to shave that morning as you'll make the national news.

Now you know why I've posted so many times about trailer antilock disc brakes (and VPP hitches). Only takes once.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:36 AM   #283
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
I am not sure about safety and slow speeds. When leaving Durango there was a 6% grade, and the speed limit is 65mph down hill. Most cars are speeding down this hill.

I was doing about 55mph to maintain control and going fine in 2nd gear, UNTIL a bus probably in 1st gear going 40 MPH! I had just come around a bend when I spotted him and had to burn up my trailer brakes attempting to decelerate to this dangerous speed, dropping down into 1st even. Mind you, this is not a difficult grade. There are curves, but all very drivable. I was maintaining a perfect 55mph. But once I'm behind him I'm going 35-40mph in a 65mph downhill where most cars are speeding. Before I was just coasting down the hill, perfectly in gear at a safe speed. Now I'm applying my trailer brake, over and over and over, to keep from plowing into this guy. Mind you, I'm tanks full going to a dump station after 18 days boondocking. I was not pleased. And mind you, this is not a 1-mile stretch, this was over at least 3-4 miles.

I eventually got to a place where I could pass and lay on my horn. That's not safe. That's dangerous. There was a line of vehicles slamming on their brakes behind me.

There is being safe, and then there is being asinine.

I typically tow around 65mph, if the speed limit is 70mph+ I stay in the right-hand lane and out of the left.
You sure say (I) a lot.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #284
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would rather see someone going down the grade at 40mph and under control than someone out of control because they lost their brakes.
You complain about the bus doing 40. What would you have done if the bus would have been stopped all together? Obviously you were out driving your field of vision.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #285
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
If that's the speed the bus driver felt safe driving then good for him! Bus indicates multiple passengers in which case the driver was behaving responsibly. Your response was one of surprise and anger. Perhaps driving defensively would've been less stressful.

When I drive in the mountains, I drive at a speed comfortable for me, a speed that allows for me to maintain control of the vehicle and trailer.

I assume (& hope) the folks behind me are doing the same and paying attention.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:56 PM   #286
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
1,000 mile trip-
Some speed limits 70-75 mph-
Never exceeded 65 mph-
They can all go around me.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #287
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
We just got back from 1,000 mile trip and I echo the 65 max.

Interestingly enough the only hairy moment of the trip was within 10 miles of storage on the way home when a truck driver with one of those dollar store chains decided to make a left turn across traffic with a red F-150 bearing down on him. She hit her brakes and stopped about 15 feet from him and fortunately I was driving my usual cautious self and had plenty of time to slow enough for him to finally clear both lanes. I guess red pickups are just to hard to see in broad daylight.... glad my Tundra is Spruce Mica green.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:45 PM   #288
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
You sure say (I) a lot.
Yea, I do.

So we disagree. But the arguments and judgements are heard. I (the word again) would rather be honest and take in the feedback either way. Rather than reply with the negativity that one could easily do or just lie to make everyone think happy thoughts about this guy.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #289
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Maybe Airstream and the insurance companies should consider offering anger management classes. ��

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:53 PM   #290
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The only question is the "at fault".

If you weren't prepared for a vehicle stopped, not slowed, well . . . . Doesn't matter about "why" the bus is slow.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Were I the bus driver I'd have called the highway patrol about your before and after behavior.

Try it in an eighteen wheeler. As truckers say, "a bus full of schoolchildren or nuns". Be sure to shave that morning as you'll make the national news.

Now you know why I've posted so many times about trailer antilock disc brakes (and VPP hitches). Only takes once.
Agree completely, if you are looking far enough ahead, locking the brakes is not necessary.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:02 PM   #291
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Yea, I do.

So we disagree. But the arguments and judgements are heard. I (the word again) would rather be honest and take in the feedback either way. Rather than reply with the negativity that one could easily do or just lie to make everyone think happy thoughts about this guy.
So if there had been an accident ahead you would have driven into it. I was taught by my father to allow enough room in front to stop if the vehicle in front stops instantly. Not always possible, but with a clear road in front.......I speak from experience, I almost drove into the back if a twenty mile an hour dump truck. My own fault, didn't practice what I preach. Good brakes on Dodge, and Avion. Be safe.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #292
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
I will reiterate.
Most St type tires are rated with a Max speed of 65 mph. This isn't average but Max.
While it may be possible to tow faster you need to realize you are consuming tire life so just don't complain if you get shorter tire life than some other folks.

While you are at it maybe you should run the engine of your TV above the engine "redline" on the tach. You know a little extra exercising won't hurt anything in the engine will it?

FYI There are an increasing number of ST tires that are now speed rated with the speed symbol ( like with the letter L which is 75 mph). I would strongly suggest that if you insist on running above 60 you switch to speed rated tires.

Look for the letter after the Load Index numbers that come after the rim size.
An example might be ST245/75R16 108/104L
The 108/104L is the Service Description and should be molded on the tire sidewall.

More on Service Description HERE.

Also I would not accept the word of a tire dealer unless they were willing to put it in writing that your tires with DOT serial xxxxxxxxxx were rated for operation up to 75.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #293
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I will reiterate.
Most St type tires are rated with a Max speed of 65 mph. This isn't average but Max.

Mine are rated at 82 MPH [Carlisles] but 70 is a max for me now. [I know you said most]

While it may be possible to tow faster you need to realize you are consuming tire life so just don't complain if you get shorter tire life than some other folks.

While you are at it maybe you should run the engine of your TV above the engine "redline" on the tach. You know a little extra exercising won't hurt anything in the engine will it?

We get your point, but unless your tow vehicle is an antique, Modern vehicles have rev limiters and it is impossible to over rev them. Because of this, vehicles such as my 2014 F-150, don't even have a red line on the tach.

FYI There are an increasing number of ST tires that are now speed rated with the speed symbol ( like with the letter L which is 75 mph). I would strongly suggest that if you insist on running above 60 you switch to speed rated tires.

Look for the letter after the Load Index numbers that come after the rim size.
An example might be ST245/75R16 108/104L
The 108/104L is the Service Description and should be molded on the tire sidewall.

More on Service Description HERE.

Also I would not accept the word of a tire dealer unless they were willing to put it in writing that your tires with DOT serial xxxxxxxxxx were rated for operation up to 75.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #294
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Precisely the reason I switched to 16" LT load range E tires-

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #295
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Precisely the reason I switched to 16" LT load range E tires-

To help others could you post info on the original size and LR and the LT size, LR and Speed Rating?

One other thing to remember. If you review Goodyear and Michelin web site info on RV application you will find statements about tires having a 75 mph limit in RV application. This no matter even if the tire itself is rated for greater.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote