70mph 144 11.30%
75 mph or faster 33 2.59%
Voters: 1274. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2003, 02:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
What's speed....

Say Guys....
I realy enjoyed readin this poll...lol, when I was over in FL, back in nov, on my vacation, & on villa bound after our meet with EdieG & Brett, we had 5th wheelers leaving us in spent diesel smoke...no kiddin, I was touchin 70....and I almost climed out of the astro van...as I thought I had stopped...LOL, I could NOT believe it...who were those guys...EX- GREYHOUND BUS drivers or what....at one stage 6 in a row passed us, all I could do was gawp...and a little wave...bye bye U gone...or was it the case of LAST one 2the next Truck-Stop buys the BURGERS.
I think I managed abt 21 mpg...Chris.....

Old 01-01-2003, 07:53 PM   #16
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
I have gone 89mph with my all of my 31ft. in tow!!!! I have the ticket for proof. He gave me a reckless op and the speed, But I got the op dropped, the cop said he was pacing me for 15 to 20 miles. I told the court why did he keep right behind me for so long if he felt I was driving reckless!!! It was a 4 lane about dusk just me and him on the road... I know I did not pass him and no one was behind me and I never saw him come up behind me. So he had to be going a hell of a lot faster to come up behind me!!! If you have to know I have Nationwide full on the truck and a rider for $10,000 for the A/S. Now I had a temp lic on the camper WHY, I had just picked it up for the dealer 2 or 3hr before!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-03-2003, 02:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

SOB on it's side

DaPlumber,

I was thinking of you yesterday when the local news was showing a SOB on I-4 in the median on it's side.

"Due to excessive speed, the driver was unable to stop for slower traffic and lost control trying to avoid a rearender"

Be safe!!!

John
Old 01-03-2003, 05:02 PM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Try dodging an 18 wheeler's tire carcuses if you are doing much above 60. I had one blow in front of me just past Knoxville on the Interstate. It looked like I was doing the cone swerve test like in the Hensley video.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'll drive the extra time knowing that if certain emergencies come up, there will be some margin that I will be allowed by not exceed 60.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 12:55 AM   #19
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
If you read my post I said "It was a 4 lane about dusk just me and him on the road... I know I did not pass him and no one was behind me and I never saw him come up behind me. So he had to be going a hell of a lot faster to come up behind me!!!" I do not drive like this in traffic!!!!!! I will run with the Big Rigs if they say its ok...
Old 01-08-2003, 10:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Daplumber

Your story does demonstrate the capabilities of the slippery shape of the A/s design. It does inspire confidence when towing at run of the mill speeds.

I am aware that there has been A/S / tow vehicle testing done at a test track. Slalom & Lane change. Wonder if anyone has tried towing a bullet on the Bonneville Salt flats.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:25 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

towing speed

We have towed our 31 foot in excess of one hundred thousand mile and proud to say have never exceeded 55 mph, always in the right outside lane
Old 03-12-2003, 07:08 PM   #22
Rivet Master

I find that I can tow very comfortably at 60, get along fairly well at 65, but am exhausted quickly if I try to run 70. Things just keep happening too fast for my reaction times with truck and trailer.

On the other hand, I drove a couple thousand kilometers on the German autobahn a couple of years ago in a small rental Opel diesel and seldom dropped under 150 kph - about 93 mph.

Mark
Old 03-12-2003, 07:10 PM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm a total speed demon, but, when I pull the trailer, I barley make 60. Ususally 55. BTW, the speed limit for trucks, RVs and most trailers around here is 55, even with a 65 speed limit.

Personally, I don't think 85-90mph or even 100mph is fast for a car that is built for the speed (not pulling a trailer). I think those that pull a 2 ton tralier beyond 70 have a death wish. Plus, the amount of fuel my V8 eats at 55-60 is HUGE, let alone going faster where it would eat more. At that point I think it would be gallons per mile rather than miles per gallon.

Gotta love John HD's 167mph jpeg post! It's my new screen wallpaper for the week!

Regards,

Eric
Old 03-16-2003, 08:43 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I have towed between 65 and 75 mph. My trailer towed like a dream at those speeds, and that was with the old axles, shocks and tires. No sway control or WD hitch either. You people that tow at 55 mph have got me pondering though. I would just be worried that someone would rear end me traveling at that slow a speed.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 04:25 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Poll: Average speed you tow at?

Greetings Pick!

If you have ever had a trailer begin swaying for whatever reason, you would understand my reason. Nearly two decades ago, a spring mount on my nearly new Nomad failed, punctured a tire, and sent the trailer and tow vehicle into a 180 degree skid - - had I been going any faster than 50 MPH (actually, it was probably more like 45 MPH as I was on a grade about 3/4 of the way to the crest) when this happened, I wouldn't have had any hope of gaining control of the rig. Also, I avoid the Interstates just for the reason you mention, at least where the posted speed limit for RVs isn't 55 MPH as it is here in Illinois - - I stay to the secondary roads where 55 MPH is the usual speed limit. When towing either trailer, I utilize pull-outs or stop in the small towns that I pass through to allow traffic to pass - - even though I am traveling at or very near the posted 55 MPH limit most of the time. The plus of sticking to 55 MPH means more than 12 MPG towing with my Suburban under most circumstances (I have found that I can safely use overdrive for about 60% of my towing; and the Suburban how has more than 103,000 miles with no major drivetrain repairs) - - it remains to be seen what will happen with the Cadillac.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 09:04 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Getting rear ended is not a concern for me. There are few reasons in my opinion only (not trying to say tisk, tisk cause we are all adults here), anything above 60, is dangerous towing anything. Can it be done? Sure, Pick, you're livin proof. I know others do too. Have I on occasion slipped above 60 to maybe 65, yup. When I noticed I did, did I taker her out of worp? YOU BET!

Hey, I'm on vacation. I am not in it to run a race. Sure I want to get there and back like it were yesterday, but I also want to get back in one piece. Anyone see the accident in Wisconsin late last year? I went through there a few days after it happend. Not a pretty sight, even after all that time. It doesn't take much.

Now, when Bambi isn't around, I know most will freak out, but 80 is not uncommon for me. Is that just as nuts. SURE! Will it stop me, prob not, but adding over 2 tons of dead, unevasive manuvering weight behind to the equation gives me serious enough pause to not be as liberal with my right foot!

Regards,

Eric
Old 03-19-2003, 11:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Angry Too fast under any condition

I'm darn glad the cop wrote DaPlumber a ticket for doing 89! Did the cop have to drive mighty fast to catch him? Well, duh, he'd had to go around 100 to catch up then pace at near 90. The cop had to risk his own life and limb to do this, but DaPlumber considers the cop to be the problem.

Well, consider this: at 89 mph DaPlumber is traveling at nearly 131 feet per second. His 31 foot AS and his tow vehicle combine to a length of at least 49 feet. A fast reaction time for a human is about 1.5 seconds. That means neither you nor I can make the decision to move our foot from gas pedal to brake in less than that amount of time. 1.5 seconds times 131 feet is nearly 197 feet. DaPlumber traveled four times the length of his tow vehicle and trailer before he could put his foot on the brake. Add to that his braking distance and guess what? Had anything or anybody gotten in front of him there wouldn't be any way of avoiding a collision. Added to such recklessness he did it at dusk when visibility is at its worst. Reckless driving? I side with the cop - God Bless him!
Old 03-20-2003, 08:16 AM   #28
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Got your point Forrest, but I doubt very much, even at 60, had anything or anyone come between him and the airspace in front of him, would he have been able to do anything either.

Now let me say that with trailer in tow, I don't condone more than 60 mph, but I regularly exceed 85mph on the open highway without the trailer in tow.

I posted a thread a few weeks ago about costs of speeding tickets and I mostly got a bunch of self rightous chest beaters that wanted to do nothing but preach. All I asked for was data and got a whole lot more which wasn't asked for nor appreciated. Personally, I wouldn't praise anyone for getting or not getting a ticket since ye without sin cast the first stone......

Regards,

Eric