Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Been there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knunut View Post
Mach 1 ( Sorry, couldn't help it. )
I've hit Mach 2.3 - but wasn't towing anything... Previous life.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #198
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Tow speed or vehicle speed when a large unit is being driven is affected by wind and hills when cruising, My 28foot behind a Dodge Ram diesel gets 14 mpg towing about 62-63 mph. When headed west, the mileage is less than traveling east. In my motorhome this is always true...prevailing winds dictate this. On I-10 across the southern states the mileage may vary by 20% as the winds off the Gulf of Mexico can be strong, from west to east.

AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
For those with a high speed tooth, in Texas on I-10 headed east from El Paso to almost to San Antonio the posted speed limit is 80 mph.... The herds of deer , not individuals cross the road at night at a slow pace. One can generate a lot of venison steaks at 80

Speed uses fuel. When riding my Gold Wing on that stretch of I-10, 80 mph drops the mileage to 25/26. By contrast, 65 is the mid 30s. Driving 55 brings the economy meter close to 40 mpg.

Recently on a short stretch of dual lane highway, I tried for several miles to keep up with traffic in the new TV at 75 and see how it felt. Single digits on the lie-o-meter. It towed fine. But watching what happens when letting up on the throttle and seeing the speed decay (even with an engine brake) slowly makes me aware of the much greater distance I would need between me and a vehicle in front to react and think to put on the brakes.

65mph is at 2,150 in 5th (of 6) gear or the recommended towing rpm suggested by Cummins. 55 mph in 4th runs the engine to 2,300 rpm. I will see this summer which gear and speed works best in the southwest heat. I find it easier to run at slower speeds and not be tensed up.

My Airstream is over 9 feet tall and 8.5 feet wide. Anyone coming up from behind that does not see this should not be driving. There are some highways with posted minimum speeds which are usually below 50 mph. I am willing to tow at a reasonable speed of 65 or less depending on the road undulations, heat levels and my level of alertness. That level drops quickly at higher speeds due to more concentration on all aspects of the driving environment.

The goal is to arrive alive.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #200
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Limited
Cornwall , Ontario
Average Speed

We tow our 34' at 55MPH. Even if the limit is at 70 MPH it does not mean you have a good control, anything can go wrong, plus you are consuming so much more fuel at that speed, at least my truck does.
Thanks, Ken
Old 03-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #201
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Speed and fuel economy

I had to respond to one I missed... on a motorcycle... In 2007, traveling solo on my BMW K1200RS, across one of the states between Texas and California, I thought it would be interesting to get some high speed in. So, for an hour on I-10, I had the Beemer at about 130+ mph. Only for an hour, though as it was using fuel at about 30 mpg....so, fuel stops required. And, this must be a factor in towing as well. More average speed, more frequent fuel stops...less "overall average speed" but more fuel consumed.

I also have a 40,000 lb bus which at 60 mph I get 9 mpg. At 65 + mph, less than 8.
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #202
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post

The goal is to arrive alive.
AND SAFE !!

Andy
Old 03-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #203
4 Rivet Member

QUOTE: An informative thread. An airspeed indicater, really?
Paul

I love instruments. So, I became interested in Andy's suggestion about an airspeed indicator a few years ago. As a result, I bought one from Aircraft Spruce. It reads 1-100 mph.

I use it just to keep aware of one of the important conditions influencing towing performance: wind conditions.

I was amazed at how accurate the airspeed indicator is. When my speedometer/GPS says 60 mph, so does the airspeed indicator. That is, if no wind is present.

However, if the speedometer shows 60 mph and the airspeed is 70 mph, I know I have a 10 mph head-on headwind, or perhaps a higher headwind coming from an angle.

The reverse is true of tailwinds.

Of course, for any given headwind or tailwind, the airspeed often jumps by 5 or 10 mph momentarily, reflecting wind gusts which are usually present.

Regarding sidewinds, the airspeed often is very jerky, moving up and down with the gusts. Overall, airspeed readings when encountering sidewinds seem to not be influenced up-or-down except, as noted, for the quick up/down movements of the indicator to reflect the gusts. However, I at times get the feeling a sidewind may show a slightly lower airspeed overall, perhaps because the sidewind is creating some sort of "vacuum" as it pushes the wind aside. I'm really not sure about this.

When being passed by or passing traffic, the airspeed jumps wildly until the passing/passed vehicles are gone by perhaps a hundred yards or so and the prevailing wind currents are no longer disturbed by the vehicles.

Along with flags waving and grass swaying and dust swirling and the correspondent influence on trailer handling, I find the airspeed indicator a useful tool while towing. I use it to predict my fuel mileage (higher or lower) while on the road and to be more aware of how the wind is affecting the trailer handling on any given stretch of road.

Is the airspeed indicator a necessary towing tool? Of course not. But I can say the same of many things I've added into my hobby's inventory over the years.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #204
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I do find the airspeed indicator an interesting idea how much do they cost?

I think a real useful addition to the towing tool box of instruments would be an airhead indicator.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #205
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
QUOTE: An informative thread. An airspeed indicater, really?
Paul

I love instruments. So, I became interested in Andy's suggestion about an airspeed indicator a few years ago. As a result, I bought one from Aircraft Spruce. It reads 1-100 mph.

I use it just to keep aware of one of the important conditions influencing towing performance: wind conditions.

I was amazed at how accurate the airspeed indicator is. When my speedometer/GPS says 60 mph, so does the airspeed indicator. That is, if no wind is present.

However, if the speedometer shows 60 mph and the airspeed is 70 mph, I know I have a 10 mph head-on headwind, or perhaps a higher headwind coming from an angle.

The reverse is true of tailwinds.

Of course, for any given headwind or tailwind, the airspeed often jumps by 5 or 10 mph momentarily, reflecting wind gusts which are usually present.

Regarding sidewinds, the airspeed often is very jerky, moving up and down with the gusts. Overall, airspeed readings when encountering sidewinds seem to not be influenced up-or-down except, as noted, for the quick up/down movements of the indicator to reflect the gusts. However, I at times get the feeling a sidewind may show a slightly lower airspeed overall, perhaps because the sidewind is creating some sort of "vacuum" as it pushes the wind aside. I'm really not sure about this.

When being passed by or passing traffic, the airspeed jumps wildly until the passing/passed vehicles are gone by perhaps a hundred yards or so and the prevailing wind currents are no longer disturbed by the vehicles.

Along with flags waving and grass swaying and dust swirling and the correspondent influence on trailer handling, I find the airspeed indicator a useful tool while towing. I use it to predict my fuel mileage (higher or lower) while on the road and to be more aware of how the wind is affecting the trailer handling on any given stretch of road.

Is the airspeed indicator a necessary towing tool? Of course not. But I can say the same of many things I've added into my hobby's inventory over the years.
When meeting an oncoming vehicle, the airspeed indicator will add your spped and theirs for the maximum reading.

Then very quickly, the needle in the gauge will oscillate from maximum to just about zero and then back and forth reducing the maximum and minimum rapidly, until it returns to it's original position.

Andy
Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #206
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Airspeed Indicator

Curious to know where you installed the airspeed indicator you purchased from Aircraft Spruce. And is it a pitot tube, or something else?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #207
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
I agree with Happycamper. I've seen far too many trailers passing me up going 70-80 mph and only to find their recklessness end tragically.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #208
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgZep View Post
Curious to know where you installed the airspeed indicator you purchased from Aircraft Spruce. And is it a pitot tube, or something else?
You can install the airspeed indicator wherever you wish in the tow vehicle.

For a "pitot" tube you can use 1/4 tubing.

The tubing is hooked into the meter, and the business end protrudes a little forward of the tow vehicle grille, so that any wind deflection from the grille does not interfer with the air going into the tube.

Andy
Old 03-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #209
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
I do find the airspeed indicator an interesting idea how much do they cost?

I think a real useful addition to the towing tool box of instruments would be an airhead indicator.

Jim
Jim.

Aircraft Spruce is a 1/2 block from Inland RV.

The cost for cheap airspeed indicators at Aircraft Spruce start at $ 132.95.

They have several different speed limit available, and all at the same price.

0-80, 0-100, 0-120 and 0-150 miles per hour.

Then, if you wish perfection, they have a better altimeter that goes for $ 1365.00.

Then if a person whats to kick that up a notch, or two, then add to the airspeed a sensitive altimeter.

When your way out in the boonies, are you slightly climbing, slighly decending,or perhaps on a sort of level highway? After a long drive sets in, it becomes more and more difficult to make that judgement.

That also adds to the fuel economy question.

With a sensitive altimeter, it will let you know which way your traveling, at 20 foot increments. They cost starting at $ 152.50 and up to alomst $ 4000.00. Yes, four thousand.

I used both the airspeed and sensitive altimeter, which both more than proved their value when traveling long distances.

Andy
Old 12-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #210
Nips n Nouie

1968 26' Overlander
Inman , South Carolina
We try to keep it at 63 mph running at 2400 rpm. Mileage is a solid 12 mpg. We tow a 68 Overlander with a MB ML 320 6 cyl gas. I would feel better with 50 more ponies, and know I am underpowered from time to time.

We tow in the Piedmont and coastal plain of the Carolina's, so no major, or sustained grades.

Had this conversation at our first rally a few weeks ago, and a point was made and accepted that much above 65 you are beating the Airstream up for no good reason.