View Poll Results: Do you own multiple Airstreams?
Why in the world would you need more than one at a time? 7 9.72%
I can only have one at a time... 12 16.67%
I only have one but am looking for a second - and will keep both! 16 22.22%
I have two - that's enough 18 25.00%
I have two - and I am just starting my collection 7 9.72%
Oh geez, I have three 9 12.50%
Gotta have more - I have four 3 4.17%
It's a slippery slope - I have five 0 0%
I'm a true collector - I have six 0 0%
I'm in trouble now...I have enough for a different one every day of the week or more! 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Well, we started with an '05 Int'l CCD but found that we wanted more when we began researching Airstream's history. We found a cute '67 Globetrotter on ebay an hour from home. We had to drive to mid Ohio for our '61 Overlander Int'l but love it more than the first two. Not far from home again (5 miles) is soon to be #4 a '62 Globetrotter- as soon as we see the owner fishing there this spring. I would not describe our passion as overboard but our neighbors would. They are like collectible cars but much better on gas and insurance. #5 ('53 Flying Cloud) & #6 ('56 Cruiser Overlander) will be 13 panels we found while dropping the '67 off for restoration. Aluminitis is so infectious! Some people are Ford people and some are Chevy people- we are Airstream people. And of course everything is for sale for a price- so its not to say we wouldn't part with one down the road- but the process of the restoration is half the fun of it. The other half is the joy of looking in your rearview mirror and having to squint!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
2 is better

I never really thought about having 2 but my Safari turned into much more of a redo that originally anticipated so I wanted something that was ready to use. Plus, the recently acquired Bambi sat in that storage lot for a long time and was screaming for someone to take care of it.

TB

Old 03-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We've had two at a time, though most of the "number 2's" were parts sources for the primary trailer. The only time we've had two "real" ones, we were looking to sell the second trailer.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
I have two, but need to sell one. Anyone want a great '72 Globetrotter?
But I'm sure I can't afford it!

I would never give up my '61 Bambi but would love to have a 20 to 23 foot preferably dual axle but I could be persuaded. Ahhh, if wishes were....
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
We Have Three.........................

Well,
Why do we have 3? First there's the wedding gift thing. We told the girls they each get a restored Airstream for a wedding gift or a PHD gift what ever comes first and then one for me. That requires 3 to start with. Then it goes to the thought process I need one for long trips, one for short that leads me down the 2 Airstreams in the drive path, one in storage and one done waiting for the wedding, now it is 4. Then you have the issue of the 68 was from a Unit member that was concerned with a young couple with kids in a 61 24' and not having enough room so I'll cut you a deal. Then the 68 can never be parted with because of the Kings and the 10 years of memories of fun we had with it. The 59 and 4 years of putting it back together and then the oldest telling me it's hers. The 88, heck man that's my dream trailer and I just had to have John Becker's trailer so that stays.

I'm now short one becasue Elaine needs a trailer, so all in all I'm destined to be a 4 trailer owner.
Ed
Don't worry if you can't follow this because I'm still trying to find room for the 4th.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
You're making a two car hauler out of your Excella? WOW Have you posted your plans or progress? I'd love to see that.
Carol, not much progress to report. The trailer was used in a deer camp for about 10 years and the inside was in REALLY bad condition when we got it. Thats when we decided to turn it into a car hauler. The only work that has been done to date is gutting the trailer. Susan and I have moved a couple of times since we bought the trailer and we just haven't had time to work on it. I'm really hoping next year will be the year that I can actually work on it .

I'll try and dig up a picture of one that was done the way I plan on doing ours.

Brad
(Alumatube's other half)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
One!!!!!!

Hi, one is all I can tow at once, can afford, and have room to park. [just barely] Some day if and when we move to a place with a larger piece of dirt I might want one smaller trailer to restore/remodel and then sell. Choice #10 "I'm in trouble now" should say "I'm a dealer now."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 224 (Large).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	55608   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 447 (Large).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	55609  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, one is all I can tow at once, can afford, and have room to park. [just barely] Some day if and when we move to a place with a larger piece of dirt I might want one smaller trailer to restore/remodel and then sell. Choice #10 "I'm in trouble now" should say "I'm a dealer now."
Every time I see that photo of your A/S sitting right next to the house, it amazes me. I really have ample room and still don't like to back in more than needed. Bet you even back in using only the mirrors, am I correct?
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #23
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I currently have two, but I'm on my third Airstream. A co-worker said that she saw another one sitting on the side of the road with a For Sale sign and asked if I wanted the phone number. "Of course," I said. Aluminitis is very additive. Hopefully I will sell one, and, of course, I am looking at the one on the side of the road "for a friend." You know, Alan needs one before our North Georgia rally in April. Yep, that's it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Where there is One...

there is always more...

We did have three but now have two - at one point we owned 4. Caused by a silly whim we sold one and felt a huge void so bought another immediately.

Two vintage - but one day will buy new I am sure....when we no longer want to play with the toys and just use them like normal people do
Old 03-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #25
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
We have two. The Caravel has been a member of the family for over 15 years. A couple of years ago a friend saw the Overlander for sale at the side of the road and gave it to his brother for his birthday. A year ago the brother had to move to Texas. At the going away wake he gave me the pink slip (title in California) and left town. It needs a bit of work. The biggest surprise was when my wife did not go postal over the new piece of yard art..

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
We're down to three...
  • The '71 Sovereign that will always be the first and last Airstream we ever own
  • The '49 Liner that may someday...sometime...maybe? be restored
  • The '08 25' FB Classic that took us two years of planning, convincing, saving, mulling over, and agonizing about to buy...but man, gray tanks and water heaters you don't have to go outside to light are nice!
Old 03-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Love the comments!

I find myself relating to many of them...especially:
  • "when the right {fill-in-the-blank} comes along"
  • "but one day will buy new I am sure....when we no longer want to play with the toys and just use them like normal people do."
  • "The {fill-in-the-blank} that will always be the first and last Airstream we ever own"
  • "A {co-worker, friend, relative} said that {s}he saw another one sitting on the side of the road with a For Sale sign and asked if I wanted the phone number. "Of course," I said."
  • "Only {one, two, three} but that is all there is room for"
  • "I never set out to have more than one. There was just a cute little {fill-in-the-blank} {along the side of the road, on Craig's List, on ebay, in a storage lot} with a "For Sale" sign on it, that seemed to be calling my name"
I even find myself asking "Why in the world would you need more than one at a time?"...then I come back to my senses! Maxwell needed a sibling - that's why!

Don't forget to vote in the poll whether or not you post a comment!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I'm the only one with 4 (so far)