Old 10-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #141
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I have question about the iPad and a digital newspaper subscription.

I'm thinking of getting an iPad because it will be cheaper to subscribe to the NY Times digital edition than the mail edition. I get the mail edition now and it is pretty poorly mailedócomes late, out of order, in clumps, not at all, or when it isn't supposed to be. In 2 to 3 years the iPad would pay for itself.

The good thing about print is portability. I can take a paper in the truck and read it, read it in restaurants, and of course, that most important place, the toilet. This assumes wifi ios not available. Using 3G networks means more expense and they aren't always available either. With the digital edition I get on my laptop, every story and every page of that story have to be individually downloaded. If that is necessary with the iPad edition, the Times is not portable. Why shouldn't it be if they can download an entire book at once?

I spoke to 3 people at Apple and the first two didn't seem to know what I was talking about; the 3rd said I could download the whole paper. I e-mailed the Times. The 1st e-mail was never answered, the 2nd was answered in a manner that was impossible to understand. I exchanged e-mail with a Times media columnist and he says it can be downloaded. I'll go to the Apple store in Denver in several weeks and ask them to demonstrate it.

Has any one of the many Mac users out there used the iPad for newspaper reading? NY Times?

After I get this figured out, I have to see if I can download the paper from the iPad to the MacBook.

Gene
Gene,

While I haven't read the NY Times on a iPad, I have on my Kindle. You have two options on the iPad. The first is to subscribe to the times though the NY Times application downloadable through the app store. The second is to download the free Kindle application and subscribe through the Kindle store. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Rion

GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
What's the difference in quality and cost Rion?

Gene

Old 10-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #143
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
What's the difference in quality and cost Rion?

Gene

Gene,

Are you talking about the iPad vs Kindle or the delivery of content on the two devices?

As for for the difference between the iPad and Kindle. I have the 1st generation iPad and the 3rd generation Kindle. I like the iPad for it's display and the fact that I can access the web, email, and generally get some work done with it. The Kindle I like for it's display in bright light and looooong battery life. My iPad lasts about 9 to 11 hours on a charge, but my 3 year old Kindle still lasts several weeks if I don't have the wireless turned on, if the wireless is on it still lasts about a week.

The Kindle I can read in any normal light indoors or outdoors, obviously I need a light when it gets dark but I purchased a small reading light that I use on airplanes and when the wife is asleep. The iPad becomes very difficult to read in direct sunlight, but when the lights go out, the iPad is still readable. The other thing that I like about the iPad is the built-in iTunes app, so I can listen to music while I'm reading, surfing the web, etc. or watch videos while I'm waiting in the Airport, I can put on headphones and drown the world out. The Kindle will read some content to me if it is enabled, but I don't really like the computerized voice.

As far as reading the New York times, the cost for the NY Times app is free and according to the NY Times website and then 99 cents for the first four weeks and $20 a month for the tablet app version of the paper thereafter. The price for the Kindle version is $19.95 per month via the Amazon Kindle store. When I do read the NY Times on my iPad, I just access it via their website, but the pictures don't always come through. On the Kindle, I'm not crazy about the way in which they organize the information, I would prefer to see the front page of the paper like you do online, so kudos to the iPad on that count. Also my Kindle is black & white, so no color pictures anyway.

As for the price of the hardware. the iPad2 32gb is $599 for the wifi model and $729 for the 32gb wifi + 3G model. There is also a small monthly fee for the 3G service on either AT&T or Verizon. I have the iPad1 32gb with wifi only and it suits my needs just fine, but there are times that having 3G capability would be nice, however, I can usually find a wifi hotspot somewhere to connect to the Internet on. I originally paid $799 for my iPad the week that it came out. As for the Kindle there are a number of versions now, but I would highly recommend a version that doesn't include the "free offers." I personally don't want ads showing up on my Kindle when I'm trying to read something. So I think that the price is going to be in the neighborhood of $189 for the Touch or Keyboard 3G version and no monthly 3G access fees. My 3rd generation has a keyboard and find it helpful and if I remember correctly paid $259 for it. I don't know about the touch version, but it seems like it might be okay. Personal preference I guess. My problem with the Kindle Fire is that I'm afraid that the screen technology is going to have the same problems as the iPad in bright light and basically be unreadable.

One last thought on both. The liquid paper display on the current generation Kindles is higher contrast than mine. I don't find the contrast on mine to be a problem, unless I've been using the newer technology. The iPad2 has a faster CPU and other various improvements, though I cannot say that I've noticed anything that would make me run out and plop down my money for the new version.

Alternatives, one thing that I do like about the Kindle is that I can download the app from Amazon and read my Kindle content on my computer, iPhone, and iPad in addition to my Kindle. On the iPhone side, I recently finished reading the Newbie's Guide to Airstreams, Boondocking: Finding the Perfect Campsite on America's Public Lands, and Monica Bennett's book An Airstream Travel Trailer's Storybook of Recipes Vol.1 on the Kindle for iPhone app.

As for the quality of the two, both are well made and I haven't personally had any trouble with either device.

Sorry for the dissertation length response, but I hope that the above helps, please let me know if you have any other questions or feel free to send me a PM if you would prefer.

Happy Airstreaming,
Rion
Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Rion, no apology necessary for the dissertation which answers a lot of questions. That's very helpful. Last time I looked a refurbished first generation 16 GB iPad was $400. That may be all I need.

Gene
Old 10-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #145
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Ashland , Oregon
Just got our Airstream; had been traveling in a class B, Roadtrek, with limited storage. one MacBook Pro, 2 IPads and 2 IPhones. Future trips - add one more MacBook Pro.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:58 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Um...I'm just recently bi-lingual.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #147
Silver Spud

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sagle , Idaho
One other point about the iPad. This is an Airstream forum, right? So I assume you therefore are out and about in your 'Stream. That alone makes the iPad WITH 3G (phone & data) capabilities worth the extra bucks. When we hit the road I just buy a month worth of use ($14.99) and we can check campgrounds, use maps, read Trip Advisor for restaurant reviews, get campground reviews, follow our stocks, check e-mails, keep up on the news, etc., etc., etc. while cruising down the road or at many campgrounds where there's no or sucky wi-fi. If you get an iPad (and I LOVE mine) and you have a penchant for traveling, don't fail to get one with 3G capabilities.

The Silver Spud
BillB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #148
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Um...I'm just recently bi-lingual.
What other language besides English? Both the Mac and PC are polyglots.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #149
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB44 View Post
One other point about the iPad. This is an Airstream forum, right? So I assume you therefore are out and about in your 'Stream. That alone makes the iPad WITH 3G (phone & data) capabilities worth the extra bucks. When we hit the road I just buy a month worth of use ($14.99) and we can check campgrounds, use maps, read Trip Advisor for restaurant reviews, get campground reviews, follow our stocks, check e-mails, keep up on the news, etc., etc., etc. while cruising down the road or at many campgrounds where there's no or sucky wi-fi. If you get an iPad (and I LOVE mine) and you have a penchant for traveling, don't fail to get one with 3G capabilities.
Good point. Additionally, the iPad's back is aluminum just like the Airstream. Mine is covered by its case and besides I don't usually spend time looking at the back of my iPad.

Cheers
Old 01-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #150
3 Rivet Member

I travel with a 24" iMac and a MacBook. I tend to meet a lot of Macs in Airstreams. The two seem to go together well.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #151
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
This thread is at 150 posts, but I don't see and actual poll here.

Or did I miss it somewhere?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Gene,

I am getting in late here. I have a first generation iPad and I download our local newspaper when on the road. My daughter just got a new Kindle and she also downloads the paper. The Kindle does provide a "nice" look when reading the paper. The screen is similar to the actual print but it is black and white and you can't see the entire page but have to refer to a list of articles/stories.

The iPad is in color and my paper comes in with full page layouts with good quality pictures. I have not looked at the NY Times so I can't speak to that. We use our iPad extensively while on the road. The second generation iPad has some nice improvements from ours especially with the maps and the voice directions.

If you go in this direction I would suggest getting the one with 3G capabilities. I have never liked the whole WiFi experience. I don't want to drive around to find a hotspot and even when I do they are often weak signals. While at home, my iPad is connected to my computer via the router in the backroom. I do not pay anything extra this way. When we are on the road I only have to pay by the month for my connection. This is how we were setup during our trip down to the Baloon Festival. We did banking, emailing, photo sharing, stock market checking and paper reading, not to mention weather checking and trip planning. We do like our iPad.

Dick
Old 01-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #153
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
My vote ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	apple door.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	149196

Click image for larger version

Name:	apple too.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	149197

Sergei
Old 01-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Aage, you are right, the poll has disappeared. It was pretty old anyway.

Dick, thanks for the answer. I bought the 16 GB iPad2 with Verizon on Black Friday and saved a bit. It is quite elegant though the touch function doesn't always seem to work easily and it is easy to hit the wrong things.

The NY Times app. is about the worst I have ever seen. Crashes numerous times, touch functions sometimes don't work, updates that make story I'm reading disappear and never to be found again, and many other issues. The Times content is great—perhaps the best general news paper in the US, but they hire contractors to do circulation and digital. They hire incompetent contractors who are awful at what they do. I expect the Times would have a much higher circulation if they did it in-house. However, it is easy to read when you have the story (can make type much larger) and the entire paper downloads into the iPad anytime I have wifi. Getting the subscription changed from a mailed one took 3 phone calls and hours of incompetance, but I eventually got it done. My experience is common.

I haven't bought a data plan as I don't need it now. I wanted to have the option though. The data plans are set up to rip us off and they don't disclose all the absurd nuisance fees they add on. It comes out $20 or $30/month, though probably reality is more like $30 or $40. I think if these companies were straight with us, and charged less, they might have a lot more business.

So I curse the Times many times a day, but the content is excellent, and I'm saving about $200/year on my subscription. I used to read the WS Journal, and though the editorial pages were extreme to me, the news pages were objective. Since it was taken over, all reports are that news is now editorialized. A lot of their top reporters have left and some went to the Times.

The use of the iPad is similar but different than a "normal" computer. It is isn't that hard to type on, though I'd hate to write a lot on it. I got a bluetooth keyboard from a vendor whose name I can't remember, and it will be useful when I have a data plan. The cheaper Apple cover works pretty well, though I have doubts it will last several years. It is much hard to use Safari as tabs open in strange ways and I don't want them. You have to be careful where you touch because things happen suddenly and I have no idea how they happened, while other touch functions are clunky. I know the idea is the iPad is for consumption of content, but they went too far and made other things too difficult.

Color is excellent, speed ok (my MacBook is so fast it makes the iPad seem slow), antenna inadequate and I can't find a high gain antenna that I can plug into the one port. It is nice that I can be sitting in front of the TV and if I want to look up something I don't have to go 20' to the laptop and can check it on the iPad—that is laziness. Glad I have it, but it is a work in progress and the NYT app sucks.

Gene

Tags
mac or pc