Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2018, 04:57 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
By far, our 'bad' camping experiences have been when we broke our mantra.
'never go camping on a holiday weekend'
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:49 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholder View Post
No, no. I completely agree with those. And I’m not meaning even necessarily flying. There are tons of great Airbnb that we have stayed in, etc. Our frustration was more of the additional complication of having the trailer versus driving one of our other cars, quick and easy, and staying in a resort. I think I’ve gotten a skewed view from a frustrating last year of isolated situations.

As for the days of packing prior for my wife, how do you guys find you streamline that process more efficiently?

We take ours out several times per month to give an idea of usage/frequency.

Our suggestion: FWIW, Before you sell the Airstream take your wife to a nice resort a couple times per year first. We really love the luxury of both forms of travel. Nothing like hiring a driver or being pampered at a world class hotel. Other times nothing beats your own bed and the locations where you have no hotel options and enjoying the luxury of the Airstream. Different styles; different packing and planning but both fabulous...sure better than staying home even when you live in a resort destination. Count blessings.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Different strokes for different folks. If you're tired of it, move on to something else. If you want to me back, then do so. It's all good as long as you're doing what you want.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:09 PM   #84
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
The points have all been made except for my favorite. My trailer has wheels and, whenever the weather is bad, we move to another location.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:18 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Jholder

I think that you have to figure out what works for you. We are campers. We prefer camping over staying in a motel. My kids used to ask me why we could not be like other people and just stay in a motel. My response was that a motel is too similar to our home where we have control over everything. I have always enjoyed the challenge of tent camping and yet being comfortable. Now that we have an Airstream we have found that we really enjoy camping without hookups. This typically gives us more space and privacy, is less costly but more importantly gives us many more places to camp. I know of a COE Campground where we could drive to on any weekend in the summer and get a lakeside camping site, but there are no hookups.

Our kids flew my wife and I out to Northern California for a ten day trip. We rented a VW Beetle and stayed in Airbnb’s and had a blast, but we were always checking out campgrounds so we could return with our Airstream and take our beagle with us. My wife will never go on another trip without Bandit.

We like nature and being outside. We are campers. Do whatever works for you.

I think expectations can be a problem too. Last year your beach trip was great, but this year the weather was terrible and this affected your enjoyment of the trip. Sounds like your kids enjoyed the trip though. Sounds like you made some great family memories. I hope that you continue to enjoy your family camping adventures. Maybe just don’t expect too much and be prepared for any weather.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:30 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholder View Post
What was your biggest frustration? Plus, one of our frustrations has been the fact that, especially in our area of Tennessee, camping has exploded, so we are rarely able to get a site anymore without advanced notice. That kind of kills some of the spontaneity.

Same in much of California, unless you book within seconds of the window opening , good luck. There simply aren't enough campgrounds. City , county and coastal commission pen pushers have made it near impossible to build anything these days.
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:44 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Last fall we spent months on the road camping. Each National Park we visited was very crowded, and were told it was due to foreign tourists. Good for business, not so good for the enjoyment of the Parks: We managed to dry camp outside the Parks and drive back in to catch a bus in order to walk a couple of trails.

But with Sagebrush rebellion being supported by the actions of judges and the reduction of public lands in the offing, and public lands being made available to other private interests, such as logging, mining and oil drilling, the availability of sites for boondocking will be reduced. In addition, the use of public funds to build new RV campgrounds will be declining due to budget cuts.

The RV experience may soon be a thing of the past, or in any event sharply curtailed. So I for one will continue to pull my trailer around and enjoy the experience while I still can, such as it is.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:12 AM   #88
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Wow, reading some of these comments proves to me that tbe average AS owner today has a lot more disposable income than i ever had. More power to you!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:51 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Another frustrating aspect about making reservations:
Lots of times you don’t know you won’t be able to go until after the time to cancel reservations, so...
You lose your money and the spot sits there empty but no one else can camp there because you’ve already reserved the spot.
Even if they won’t refund your money, they should make the site available to someone else.
They ought to also give refunds.
They shouldn’t make reservations the only way to procure a site then charge a $10 reservation fee.
They shouldn’t charge $10 to change or cancel a reservation.
The ways they rip us off...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:52 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
We’re feeling this misery right now as I type my response. We’re at a rally with many nice people...but this unbearable cold has us trapped in the Airstream and...day 5 of this!
Pshaw!
At least you are at your leisure in your airstream.

I am enjoying the cold as I bundle up, drive to work in a cold car, sit at a drafty desk, drive home in the dark, stop at the grocery store and load up in the cold and dark, and then finally get home.

Once I finally get home, I am doing pretty much as you are. Fixing a meal, relaxing and reading or listening to music, and watching a little tv before bed.

In my opinion, winter cold weather is a pain unless you are 28 and have no real job and live in Denver and like to snowboard.

But I wish you sunny skies and warm conversations on your journey.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
As we still work we are making a conscious decision to not camp between fall back and spring forward except for a few rallies in October, November, and December.
Weekend warrior camping stops in October and resumes in March except for special events.
From spring forward to fall back we can get off work and make it to a campground before dark.
Between fall back and spring forward it is already dark when I leave the shop. I don't want to go any further in the dark than the 2.5 miles from the shop to the house.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 01-05-2018, 09:08 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Interesting post and discussion and one my wife and I have weekly if not more. After 45 plus years of "camping", multiple types of equipment from canoe/tent to 40' MoHo, to now our fourth AS.

I am tired of it, especially now that I am retired. We crossed the US three times, now, all of which I'd seen for work, but promised my wife we would travel by RV. We've seen some terrific places and on the whole met some great people.

But, and this is the key, I enjoy being home, even today at -2 with bright sunshine and snow on the ground. I volunteer extensively as does my wife in using our Therapy Dogs, plus I rehabilitate and train, virtually all on a volunteer basis. Just as an aside I've stayed well over 5,000 nights in motels, thought I'd gotten used to them, but not really, just don't like it, even the top levels of Marriott etc.

So, traveling next week to FL and will be searching out a campground that sells sites and use it in the winter. Possibly use the AS at other times for short trips etc. But extensive travel is in all probability over. The comforts of home are simply too enticing, at least for me.

So, the gist, it's all individual; we have good friends, older than we are who can't wait to get the AS out and travel. Others use their only two weeks a year and so on with others.

As you and all others know, the decision is yours, but you certainly are not alone as you can tell from some of the posts. Look for the possibility of a great, loaded 2017 30' Twin for sale along with an immaculate 2015 F350 6.7 Diesel, as I want to buy a house in FL.

Our Best

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I love the comfort of a warm house from fall back to spring forward, but from spring forward to fall back I am ready to go.
Maybe in retirement I will spend the time from fall back to spring forward in southern Florida, Arizona, or California...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 01-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #94
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Vancouver , British Columbia
Just recently purchased an Airstream after another very disapointing 2 week vacation staying in "pet friendly" hotels (even the dog disliked some of them) and searching for restuarants. Did I mention the food poisoning?
Love having the enjoyment of sleeping in our own bed, cooking our own food, relaxing and enjoying a chilled glass of wine. No need of humping suitcases in and out your hotel everynight.
If you think camp grounds are busy and you have to book ahead just try the overpriced hotel industry.
Lost 5 friends this past month.
Everyone comes to a time in their lives where a change is needed, do what makes you happy and enjoy life.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:35 PM   #95
2 Rivet Member

2011 31' Classic
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum - as I write this post I’m on my 3rd trip in my 2011 31’ Classic I purchased this past summer. I’ve always wanted an Airstream & finally living my dream. But I approached it with two overarching drivers.

First, I have subscribed to The Minimalist podcasts and attempting to simplify my life & “things” so that taking care of those things is not such a huge hassle. And I apply that philosophy to my camping essentials.

Secondly, with the exception of food, most everything in my Airstream stays in the Airstream. I have dedicated chairs, kitchen stuff, bathroom essentials etc. I don’t want to pack & unpack, except things like food & washing linens.

I want to be in a ready position where I can decide on a whim to leave in the morning, pull out my Good Sams app, find a destination, and be gone in a couple hours without a lot of rigmarole. And I did that on my last 5k mile trip. Not a single care in the world or park reservation. It can be done if you keep it simple and focus on the sights you will see and the people you will meet.

Sandy
geekvswild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Travel lighter, much lighter. It greatly helps to keep the trailer stocked with its own lightweight dishes, silverware and a couple of good knives and a cutting board; along with a sleeping bag for cold nights, blankets in the cupboards, sheets, pillows. My trailer is parked in a storage lot so I turn on the frig when I start the trip, knowing I can't stock it until that night when it's cold and that's fine, I just eat out that first travel day and then buy groceries that evening for the frig. No frozen, pre-made soups or anything else. Why make it hard to leave? And BTW - why is it just your wife doing all the packing? Could you help? I take one suitcase with all the clothes I need, and lay it flat-side down in back of the truck and pull clean clothes from it every evening for the next day, and stash my dirty clothes in their own bag inside the suitcase. The AS closet holds weather gear and hiking poles and my boots. Keep it simple, simple, simple.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekvswild View Post
I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum - as I write this post I’m on my 3rd trip in my 2011 31’ Classic I purchased this past summer. I’ve always wanted an Airstream & finally living my dream. But I approached it with two overarching drivers.

First, I have subscribed to The Minimalist podcasts and attempting to simplify my life & “things” so that taking care of those things is not such a huge hassle. And I apply that philosophy to my camping essentials.

Secondly, with the exception of food, most everything in my Airstream stays in the Airstream. I have dedicated chairs, kitchen stuff, bathroom essentials etc. I don’t want to pack & unpack, except things like food & washing linens.

I want to be in a ready position where I can decide on a whim to leave in the morning, pull out my Good Sams app, find a destination, and be gone in a couple hours without a lot of rigmarole. And I did that on my last 5k mile trip. Not a single care in the world or park reservation. It can be done if you keep it simple and focus on the sights you will see and the people you will meet.

Sandy
Double Ditto,

We can be on the road in two hours at the most. While we like to cook ahead and load up the fridge with our favorite stuff at times we don't even do that. There are Wall Marts and Food stores galore in all directions.
We have also learned to stay away from the highly popular destinations June through mid August. That still leaves us with months of travel opportunities The only standing reservation we have that is and annual thing is our favorite Northern Michigan August retreat for two weeks.
We delayed getting into Air Streaming until I fully retired after working for 52 years of my life non stop.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #98
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
According to the Airforum member list, there are 116,038 registered members on the forum. The only thing we have in common is that we all own, have owned or want to own an Airstream. Other than that, you will find 116,038 differing opinions on how to use them!

I will agree that the money spent on an Airstrream, tow vehicle, and related costs will buy a whole lot of nights in a resort. But it all depends on what you want. If you ever watch Hotel Impossible on the Travel Channel, you might think twice about your future hotel stays. I would rather sleep in my own space than hot bunking in rooms that may not meet my standards for cleanliness.

I agree that being restricted to extended holiday weekends presents a challenge to finding campgrounds in the most desirable places. However, I don't like to plan and reserve every nights stay three months in advance of a trip. Being able to alter plans to move on when the weather changes or a location doesn't live up to the hype is important to not being stuck in a miserable spot. We have been able to find spots on short notice in Yellowstone, Yosemite, and other high demand parks. But you just have to go with the flow....or not!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

I find that the quicker I clean out the trailer and restock with clean bedding, towels etc the easier it is. The longer it sits waiting for me to do this in the driveway, the less motivation I have.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #100
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Yes, I totally agree with a lot of the sentiments expressed in this thread but every time I reconsider the 100 or so hours of labour on my 310 to every 1 hour of actual use, one of those Carnival cruises pulls into harbour with thousands of people spewing body fluids from every orfice....... or I do get into an aircraft with hundreds of people that are potential hazmat material.

I can't do the airplane, cruise thing; just can't.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote