Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,278
Images: 33
I was just thinking might be time for a cruise to somewhere warm and let someone take care if me for a change.
__________________

__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
 
jholder's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB International
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 84
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
I go through these thoughts every winter up here thinking the money could be better used to go someplace warm each year. Also as was mentioned, places to camp are becoming harder to find open, so spur of the moment camping is harder to do.
Then, first trip out with stocked pantry, cool refreshment a pace away, our own fresh bug free bed with no bags to carry in every night and unpack, great home cooked meals, and all those thoughts get lost for another year. Well at least till it's time to winterize again.


George


This is EXCELLENT George! Thank you.
__________________

jholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
 
jholder's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB International
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 84
Images: 2
You guys have made such good points that have reenergized us and reminded us of so many things that we let fall under the radar in the moment of frustration. The meals is a great part that we didnít think about Ė healthwise, we just donít want to eat out every single meal, which was our situation when we stayed in a beautiful hotel recently. The place was gorgeous, but we literally had to go out for every single meal. We are thinking that on this next trip we go very, very minimum and see if we missed the stuff. Plus, we have so many clothes that we may start leaving extra stuff in there so that it will cut down the packing even more.
jholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
 
1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 146
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
So, you are ready to:

Book over-priced flights,

Be strip searched on the way through security,

Get bumped from the flight when you finally make it to the gate,

Sit in a seat that won't fit a skinny 5 year old,

Wait for baggage that was never on the flight to begin with,

Stay in a bed-bug ridden hotel room,

That had a porn movie filmed in it the day before,


Shall I go on?




You had one bad trip, and the weather was 9/10 of the problem.

Re-evaulate what you really use on the trip, eliminate the stuff that would be cool to use if you have time, and enjoy the rig for what you bought it for.



Regards,


JD
That's pretty funny. You paint the worst possible picture of one form of travel, then you encourage the OP to recognize that one bad trip is not the totality of AS camping experiences.

To the OP, a $50k trailer is indeed a huge investment, and you should carefully consider whether it is the right investment for your family. The great thing about AS is the resale value. But if you NEVER sell, it's a pointless value. Sounds like you use your trailer a lot, and if with even that much use it's losing its luster, maybe it's time to try something else, since those things JD listed don't happen all that often, just as having a whole week at the beach rained out doesn't happen all that often.
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #25
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,728
If you really feel that way - sell. You can always buy another and a hard used rig is a good deal for a AS dreamer with limited funding.

Yes, sometimes it does not work. We got real tired of the heat on our Fall trip and headed home. That dash included dealing with rain, fog and the front edge of a cold snap that included the white stuff. Not fun, but we picked the route, the time of year and the RV parks. It was not forced on us and we rested a week before rolling out again. This RV thing is not the right choice for many. For those that are willing to take the good with bad, learn, plan, and keep on chasing the adventure, there are a lot of green flashes out there to enjoy. But it's not the only way to chase adventure.

So, sit down, rest a bit, review the pictures from prior trips and evaluate where your future needs to go. Life is short. Do not beat yourself up. A luxery hotel room, lodge accomodation, cabin, or tent might just work better.

Hope to see you down the road .... or the new owner of your coach. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
weirdstuff's Avatar
 
2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,184
I know not everyone is able to do this but, the best solution to not having to do so much packing and unpacking, is to go out on longer journeys. Instead of doing multiple short trips, just head out for a month or more.

For me, packing for the trip is fun. It's the unpacking and cleaning up that is a lot of work....mainly doing all the laundry (clothes and bedding and towels), and then giving the trailer AND the truck a good exterior and interior washing....lots of work....but I try to think of it like it's my daily exercise for a few days.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:03 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 299
I'll jump on the "don't pack as much" bandwagon with this suggestion: before I became a full-time RVer, I kept my RV stocked with non-perishable food (canned goods, pasta, etc.) and clothes for all seasons. Not that I went out and bought separate outfits for RVing. When a shirt or pair of pants of mine started to get a little old, I'd just move them to the RV and then buy a replacement for everyday wear. I figured that when I was on vacation, I wasn't trying to impress anybody with my fashion sense.

Other things I did: at the end of a trip, whenever possible I'd dump the holding tanks and fill up with water and propane just before getting home. That way the rig would be ready to go anytime. All I'd have to do was start the fridge and drive away, picking up some fresh groceries along the way. I could get on the road in as little as half an hour this way.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #28
Lynnsr
 
lynnsr's Avatar
 
2018 20' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 74
Camping

Camping,
To us is a lot like all of life.

If youíre not enjoying the trip, the destination is not worth it.

LynnSr
lynnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:52 PM   #29
Rivet Master
 
Piggy Bank's Avatar
 
2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,501
We are both still working, so mostly do weekend trips.

We always put the trailer away clean and dry. During the camping season the trailer is stocked with bedding, toiletries, (yes get a separate hair dryer, shampoo, straightener, brush, toothbrush and set of makeup and leave in the trailer), clean towels, pots and pans, dishes, glasses, booze, condiments, and DVDs and CDs.

On a Friday to leave we need a duffle bag each of clothes, change of towels, cooler with food and drinks, soft cooler and picnic basket with crackers, bread, fruits and veggies, small tin of dog food, bottled water, and then the items that transport in the truck bed like the grill, charcoal, lawn chairs. I can pack that in about 20 minutes.

On Sunday when cleaning up the trailer I put the dirty towels in a duffel bag to take home, and hang up fresh towels in kitchen and bathroom so the trailer is ready to go next time. Duffel bags get repacked with the clothes we brought. Same for food.

I have done my fair share of resort type vacations in my life. They are getting more expensive, more crowded, and less "special". Traveling in our trailer lets us really feel like we ARE where we ARE. Campgrounds in Missouri are different than Kansas, or Minnesota, or Wyoming. City camping is different than nature-area camping in what you do.

Last year on Easter weekend, we camped in a state park not far from home, hiked on Saturday, went into the quaint town for Easter services, got back to the campground, headed back to storage lot, and actually made it to an afternoon MLB baseball game in the city. That's a lot of living in 48 hours.
__________________

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master
 
gaylejoe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 581
Gayle & I have been Airstreaming over 10 years. For the last 4 years we averaged 6 months each year on the road with the Airstream. Is it cheaper that other travel? Hell no. But we get to sleep in our bed and have our own bathroom, and especially traveling with our two spoiled cat's. After each year of traveling we have always had to have some type of work performed on the trailer.

I wouldn't trade our experiences for any amount of money. After being on the road for 6 months we can hardly wait hit the road again.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:18 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member
 
2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 457
Images: 1
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:23 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 28' Tommy Bahama
2017 23' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
New York , New York
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 57
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholder View Post
Then, part of us thinks sell it, put all that cash in a travel fund and just keep it simple.
I think most of us have gone through that mental math. As many others have pointed out here, it really depends on what you (as a family) enjoy.

To us it's like a second home, it's our space, we sleep better, we're more comfortable, the kids have a blast running around outside, whereas they are *miserable* in a hotel room where they do insane things like touch the trashcan.

As a huge bonus we can put our second home on the Cape, or Marthas Vineyard, or Acadia, or Mystic CT, or Lake George, or Woodstock VT depending on where you want it to be that week.

It sounds like you've been in it for a while but I think this is why almost everyone here advocates for starting small and growing into it over going out and grabbing a shiny new 33 Classic right out of the gate. If you love to travel you're probably better off starting with a newer low cost trailer and blending your time with more exotic hotel rooms and then figuring out your own balance from there...

Consider trading down to get a better balance, over a straight exit. Perhaps grab something like a CampLite or a newer pre-owned AS 16-23 footer.

m
mattskav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:27 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member
 
Burlington , California
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholder View Post
Hey guys! Well, to set it up, we just came off a 10 day bust of a trip that just didn't go as planned. We did this same trip last year to the beach and it was just like out of a movie....right on the beach, warm everyday, etc. Well, much like the majority of the country this last week, it was ice cold, stormed the entire time, massive winds, etc. So....we were inside 90% of the time which I know has skewed our sights.

But...we do go through this a lot....the ole Love/Hate relationship. We are very involved with the AS community and all of our friends know that's the main enjoyment we have as a family. But, as those of you who are the packers know, it's always a massive preparation time for my wife before we go, packing for days, un-packing for days, etc. Then just the additional trip planning, etc.

In this situation, we spent $1300 on the spot on the beach, $400-500 in fuel (since we were in a 3/4 ton truck).

We are also skewed a bit because this year has been one of out of the ordinary maintenance....all piddly stuff, but annoying. Faucets, minor leaks, some electrical goofy stuff, some awning rot. Plus, we are due for new flooring, as the vinyl is starting to curl in some of the corners. 2009 27FB, so I know we are due for some normal maintenance.

I know this has been a ramble, but I guess I'm just asking if you guys go thorough the similar. Part of us LOVES it and thinks there's NOTHING like it. Then, part of us thinks sell it, put all that cash in a travel fund and just keep it simple.

Thanks for letting me vent/ talk/ ask. Has anyone ever dumped theirs, regretted and came back? Or dumped and glad you're now resorting (which you probably wouldnt be on this forum anymore). Ha!

Justin
Isn't this kinda like walking into a bar and asking if anyone has ever given up drinking and never look back
PilotTyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #34
Rivet Master
 
2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 785
Images: 3
The need to reserve campsites far in advance is a problem! Hopefully more will be built over time.

We vacation by Airstream occasionally, and by air/VRBO occasionally. But Iím still working, so time is limited. When retired in about 5 years from now I hope to make longer trips, where the trailer would be much better.
__________________
Dan
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member
 
jholder's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB International
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 84
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattskav View Post
I think most of us have gone through that mental math. As many others have pointed out here, it really depends on what you (as a family) enjoy.

To us it's like a second home, it's our space, we sleep better, we're more comfortable, the kids have a blast running around outside, whereas they are *miserable* in a hotel room where they do insane things like touch the trashcan.

As a huge bonus we can put our second home on the Cape, or Marthas Vineyard, or Acadia, or Mystic CT, or Lake George, or Woodstock VT depending on where you want it to be that week.

It sounds like you've been in it for a while but I think this is why almost everyone here advocates for starting small and growing into it over going out and grabbing a shiny new 33 Classic right out of the gate. If you love to travel you're probably better off starting with a newer low cost trailer and blending your time with more exotic hotel rooms and then figuring out your own balance from there...

Consider trading down to get a better balance, over a straight exit. Perhaps grab something like a CampLite or a newer pre-owned AS 16-23 footer.

m


Yes. We have one of the newer 27FB Internationals and love it. We had a 24 previously.
jholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #36
Rivet Master
 
Iansk's Avatar
 
1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 537
Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
So, you are ready to:

Book over-priced flights,

Be strip searched on the way through security,

Get bumped from the flight when you finally make it to the gate,

Sit in a seat that won't fit a skinny 5 year old,

Wait for baggage that was never on the flight to begin with,

Stay in a bed-bug ridden hotel room,

That had a porn movie filmed in it the day before,


Shall I go on?




You had one bad trip, and the weather was 9/10 of the problem.

Re-evaulate what you really use on the trip, eliminate the stuff that would be cool to use if you have time, and enjoy the rig for what you bought it for.



Regards,


JD
If these are your travel experiences then maybe the universe just doesn't like you A day late to the hotel too.

I travel for work and pleasure, currently just driving around Texas for enjoyment, no trailers, no tents, just a big beautiful Deardorff and a tripod. Sleeping in a motel tonight, just finished a meal at a nice bar in Marathon. I guess I'll get eaten up tonight and wake up with food poisoning.

Alright JD, I'm done ribbing you.

I subscribe to a looser philosophy than others I guess, but I enjoy everything from hitting the road by myself to the chaos of a flight with my wife and children. My trailer(s) are an accessory to my life and not a definition of me. I could sell all of them for more than I paid, but you'll pry my truck from my cold dead hands (figuratively of course, if you really need it, it's yours).

I appreciate the OP's open and honest pondering, Recreational Vehicaling is a pain in the astronaut for sure, but if my children have one good memory from traveling in a trailer, then everything has been worth it. The blood, money, sweat, tears and invented profanities all add to my evolving character anyway.
Plus, without adversity, all the great times would just be... normal.

Hugs,
Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:51 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member
 
jholder's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB International
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 84
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
If these are your travel experiences then maybe the universe just doesn't like you A day late to the hotel too.



I travel for work and pleasure, currently just driving around Texas for enjoyment, no trailers, no tents, just a big beautiful Deardorff and a tripod. Sleeping in a motel tonight, just finished a meal at a nice bar in Marathon. I guess I'll get eaten up tonight and wake up with food poisoning.



Alright JD, I'm done ribbing you.



I subscribe to a looser philosophy than others I guess, but I enjoy everything from hitting the road by myself to the chaos of a flight with my wife and children. My trailer(s) are an accessory to my life and not a definition of me. I could sell all of them for more than I paid, but you'll pry my truck from my cold dead hands (figuratively of course, if you really need it, it's yours).



I appreciate the OP's open and honest pondering, Recreational Vehicaling is a pain in the astronaut for sure, but if my children have one good memory from traveling in a trailer, then everything has been worth it. The blood, money, sweat, tears and invented profanities all add to my evolving character anyway.

Plus, without adversity, all the great times would just be... normal.



Hugs,

Ian


Very true brother! Truth of it is the boys loved having the days inside for us to all just lay in the bed and watch lots of movies and make popcorn on the stove. I think itís us adults that put the pressure on it to be ďamazing.Ē My best memories are in that trailer on adventures together. I may be answering my own question
jholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #38
Some Guy
 
djarrett's Avatar
 
2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Nashville , Tennessee
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholder View Post
Plus, one of our frustrations has been the fact that, especially in our area of Tennessee, camping has exploded, so we are rarely able to get a site anymore without advanced notice. That kind of kills some of the spontaneity.

We too are in Nashville - We were once able to book stays 20 minutes away at Percy Priest Lake to Seven Points (great campground) and stay the weekend. No more. They are booked a year out. It's gotten crazy. We can't plan ... rather, we have to be on standby for a cancellation. Sort of makes it tough to get out ....
__________________
The Jarretts
Nashville, Tennessee
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2015 F250 TV-Petrol
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:14 PM   #39
Rivet Master
 
Iansk's Avatar
 
1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholder View Post
Very true brother! Truth of it is the boys loved having the days inside for us to all just lay in the bed and watch lots of movies and make popcorn on the stove. I think itís us adults that put the pressure on it to be ďamazing.Ē My best memories are in that trailer on adventures together. I may be answering my own question
There it is... as far as I know, we get one spin around on this ride called life. At least that's what my past lives told me when I ate some questionable mushrooms once. But seriously though, with all that I try to be my best at, parenting is my loftiest aspiration. Just so happens that aluminum travel trailers are a fantastic way to instill life lessons on the little ones. From tool use, to being a part of the team, to just spending time together in a bed made for Fraggles... I'm trying more and more to let go of the strain of expectations and just be a leaf in a stream, with a sail, and maybe a motor... now how many solar panels would I need to power the InstaPot and go upstream?

My 6yo can curse like a drunken sailor, so I must be doing something right.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:19 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member
 
jholder's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB International
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 84
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
There it is... as far as I know, we get one spin around on this ride called life. At least that's what my past lives told me when I ate some questionable mushrooms once. But seriously though, with all that I try to be my best at, parenting is my loftiest aspiration. Just so happens that aluminum travel trailers are a fantastic way to instill life lessons on the little ones. From tool use, to being a part of the team, to just spending time together in a bed made for Fraggles... I'm trying more and more to let go of the strain of expectations and just be a leaf in a stream, with a sail, and maybe a motor... now how many solar panels would I need to power the InstaPot and go upstream?



My 6yo can curse like a drunken sailor, so I must be doing something right.



Ian


Thatís the best!! Rock on, brother!
__________________

jholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how much wind is too much? funkill Off Topic Forum 19 08-22-2009 12:58 AM
how much wind is too much Barry Parkof Awnings 15 04-04-2009 01:19 PM
How much is too much, or too little - 1962 Globetrotter? gduffydc 1960 - 1964 Globetrotter 3 01-07-2009 03:39 PM
How much damage is too much? kaulike Ribs, Skins & Rivets 8 01-20-2007 02:10 AM
Carbon Monoxide: How much is too much? Lotek General Appliance Topics 3 01-08-2005 07:06 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.