View Poll Results: "Youth" section to forums?
No, There's not enough interest to redesign the forums. 15 22.73%
Yes, One "Youth" section in the "Our Community" Forum 45 68.18%
Yes, "Youth" section including multiple sections devided by age- up to 15, 16-20, 21-29 6 9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2005, 02:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
Thumbs up "Airstream Youth"

I would like to get a poll to find out how many people would support having a new section added to the "Our Community" section for younger generations of Airstreamers. My thought is to have a Section for younger members of the Airstream lifestyle, this would have a few sub-sections for real youngsters up to maybe 15 years old, then 15-20, and 21-29. These would allow a place for people that have met at rallies a place to chat, or new Airstreamers to make friends and gain support that would eventually help them make their first step towards attending a WBCCI rally.

WBCCI # 13657
++Take a look at my restoration photo album++
http://picasaweb.google.com/ChadsAirstream
JeepinAudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
One for now

Probably one lump group for younger forum members would be enough for now, as long as it is expandable in the future if interest warrants.
You could have subsections about younger-person oriented entertainment, travel, and other issues targeted toward younger Airstreamers.
If you get into the "under 18" crowd, those groups would most likely need to be segregated and more heavily moderated for content and language, so I don't know if that would be feasible.

Old 06-19-2005, 05:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I like Overlander's idea.
I'm going to be 32 next month, and I tend to think of us younger Airstreamers as being more mature than many our age.
I think of the older Airstreamers as young at heart compared to their peers... giving us a large overlap of interests for a wide range.

So if anything, one section for the 18 and younger whippersnappers would suffice, IMHO. I imagine threads with such heady topics as:

"How do you ditch your parents as you're dragged around the country all summer?"

"I met this total hottie at some KOA in Alabama. So we're makin' out near the dump station, and.."

"Top 5 ways to sneak beer from the trailer while Dad's still inside"

"If I have to visit one more 'world's biggest ball of (insert packing material here)', I'm gonna commit Harry Caray!"
Old 06-19-2005, 07:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
can us oldies who "think young" be involved too? Anyway if enough think this is a good idea to add I am all for it too.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
How many requests for a youth section have you received before starting this thread?

As I remember, that's how the pet forum got started. Several different people asked the moderators for a pet section.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:30 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
I tend to think that the "youth" is more of a feeling than the actual numerical age. I would be perfectly happy with the single forum section, I have met a lot of people my age that would attend more rallies if they knew others would be there. Currently, I know of someone asking "Are Chad and Tovah going to be at the rally?" If there was an area that they knew was theirs, that they knew the "belonged" they might come to the site and check on what others are doing more often. I would like to believe that the inapropriate conversations would not likely take place due to the fact that they also know that the forum is open for all to see, the "youth" section would not be closed to anyone- anyone that thought they should post a question, answer or give advice would be welcome to do so. This would just give the younger generations a place to aim for when coming onto airstreamforums.com, and also older generations a way to track the progress of younger generations in the Airstream community.

WBCCI # 13657
Old 06-20-2005, 07:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Bring on the youth!

I concur. I'm 35, soon to be 36, and my wife is 30 and two boys are 4 and 2. I like the idea of having a place where us young, 3rd generation Airstreamers, can relate...

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:19 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
bump... i just want to get a few more people voting on this...

WBCCI # 13657
Old 06-23-2005, 04:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Just wondering if you will be required to show ID before posting ??

Garry
Old 06-23-2005, 08:43 AM   #10
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I think this is a good idea. While the adults are planning activities, the kids could also be planning what they would like to do. They could also communicate with others their age about activities while there. At our last rally, it was the adults that were finding out who were bringing children with them for their own children. This would give them a place to connect and feel a part instead of being dragged along for the ride.

I know this comment leans more toward the children than younger adults, but I'm like Alan, I think all of us are young at heart!
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
As an inbetweener - nomad - I do not see the difference or the need. This is not a senior citizen site either nor a Midlife crisis one - in fact if some of us were not so trusting with our personal information non of us here would know each others age.

It is a matter of participating in a "site" forum - questions and answers - chit chat and eventually people will meet either through pm's or participating in a forum Rally.

I think this age thing just forms an "us - them" attitude.

To me if you are under 40 and own a vintage or a newer powered or non-powered airstream or you are over 40 and own a vintage or a newer powered or non-powered airstream - the conversations would be no different - they are all about Airstreams the neat things, the bad things that don't work people complaining and people drooling and of course the things we all like to do with them or the places we like to travel.

If I was 20 I would not consider if the person I was talking to about where the best beach spots to camp are, or if they knew how to work the black tank valve was 40 years old - nor if I was 40 would I care if they were 60 years old.

Singles to couples may be a bit different as is Vintage to Classic - purely to narrow down the vast topics and to zero in on the product specific - but these forums certainly don't stop everyone here from mingling and pipping in on any topic.

I have not seen so far anyone saying this forum is too old and stuffy - boring - probably more like behind the scenes "Mom are you ever going to get off the computer so I can talk to my friend I just met at the International Rally - or make arrangements to meet a freind at the up coming Metro Detroit Forum Rally. Or How about Dad get off the box so I can find out about how to re-attach the shell over the wheel well - we are expecting rain and I don't have all day to play around.....

Fooooood for thought.......
Old 06-23-2005, 10:24 AM   #12
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
I think this age thing just forms an "us - them" attitude.
If I was 20 I would not consider if the person I was talking to about where the best beach spots to camp are, or if they knew how to work the black tank valve was 40 years old - nor if I was 40 would I care if they were 60 years old. Fooooood for thought.......
I think it is more for younger folks to connect, and find out what others their general age have planned, or would like to plan. For example, if John and Susan want to know if there is a co-kart track near where they will be staying, and if any other young people would like to organize a field trip there. If nothing else, they would be able to learn if they should bring their tennis racket, or a batting helmet, or just a Playstation.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:06 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

I am 25 and own an Airstream. It would be nice to talk to other AS owners from my generation. I think the number of young AS owners is going to grow as coaches get handed down from older relatives. Airstreams and anything vintage is growing in popluarity with the younger crowd too.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
If you younger ones feel you need the contacts, go for it. If not a sub-forum, you all can certainly start threads for particular topics of interest at any time. Just wink if you want us "aged-ones" to stay out of the conversation As for me, I find myself chuckling. . .like GT, I could care less if the ones posting are 20-something newbies or over-the-hill, even-older-than-I's. . .everyone's view seems interesting and somehow relevant on this AS forum, and it's the diversity that keeps me coming back. But then, maybe that very difference in perspective about this topic is why the younger ones need the subforum anyway. Just my thoughts ~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote