View Poll Results: "Youth" section to forums?
No, There's not enough interest to redesign the forums. 15 22.73%
Yes, One "Youth" section in the "Our Community" Forum 45 68.18%
Yes, "Youth" section including multiple sections devided by age- up to 15, 16-20, 21-29 6 9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2005, 02:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl8ton
I am 25 and own an Airstream. It would be nice to talk to other AS owners from my generation. I think the number of young AS owners is going to grow as coaches get handed down from older relatives. Airstreams and anything vintage is growing in popluarity with the younger crowd too.
Just curious - I wonder what the 25 year old crowd do when they camp as opposed to the 40 year old crowd - hmmm drink - yep/check all sorts of drinks (nope probably still in to the beer or possibly the boomba juice from the College days) Okay so we all drink something - Smoke well by the time you get to 40 you might figure out that it was the biggest mistake you ever did when you were younger than 25 - but lets move on from that topic.

Play cards - yep/check - poker, euchre or bridge who cares....hike and see the local sites - yep/check..... hang out with people who don't have kids - yep/check (well in our case cause we don't have any - never have and never will other than other peoples kids) Hang out with people with kids - yep /Check cause they are pretty cool too and most times the kids are fun pets too - onto leisure activities - baseball, basket ball, horse shoes, badminton, tennis - winter camping skiing (well that one is a bit scary as you get older but slidding down on your A/S might be a better description.

Hang out with the 50/60 set yep/check - their stories are great, their experiences are funny and they have no stress being recently retired. And then when the day is almost done - for some at around 8-9PM you pull up a chair for a bit of quiet time before a long night of either sipping or hmm sensor this>>>>>>>>>> or playing cards - I guess for quite a few TV and Video games is their thing but before it starts you hang with the 70-80 set to learn some pretty interesting history and to hear some pretty amazing stories of how our two Countires ever made it this far.

People who are into RV'ing, or Boating are a breed unto themselves they are fun exciting and most like the same things - Airstreams, travel and adventure whether it be in a 17 foot or 34 foot land or water.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:12 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Sounds reasonable enough to me - that is having a forum for the younger crowd. Say what you want about everyone getting along regardless of age due to the common interest of 'streaming, for the most part that's true........BUT there is this thing called the generation gap - don't discount it. Just my 2 cents. P.

Old 06-26-2005, 02:05 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
I don't think of it being divided from the generations... Having been traveling in the WBCCI since I was 11, I have seen many things and learned a lot of how the club works along the way. I'm not proposing this be a forum for ONLY the younger generations, just a "Welcome" mat into the forums. I know what it is like, no matter what you say there already is an "us-them" attitude, it's not necesarilly a bad thing, just childhood programming. I am much more comfortable with all generations of A/S owners than I once was. The club, it's rules and general breakdown can be very intimidating- even for a seasoned member. I was 20 when I bought my first A/S, and had been travelling with WBCCI for 8 or 9 years prior to that. Many of the A/S people are very friendly and inviting, but some are not. When you're new, you can make 10 new rally friends and all it takes is that one grumpy A-hole to make you second guess getting involved again with the club. I'm not trying to say this is a generation thing, just in my experiences it has been. The thing I'm proposing is to give new/younger A/S owners a place that they feel welcomed always, because they know it was made for them. Allowing them to grow deeper, more permanent roots. I love hanging out with all generations, but when it comes down to it i'm mor comfortable with 18-25 year olds than other ages. Im lucky in that my mother is very outgoing and well known (which can be good or bad) she has been around to introduce me to people, helping me overcome my shyness. But even still, being 22 and well able to fend for myself- I found myself questioning if I wanted to attend a rally she was not at. I am very close with her friends and the members in her generation but still wish I was ablr to influence more younger members to attend rallies with me. This weekend I was at the Scussett Beach Buddy Rally/Rendezvous and at 10pm everyone had been beaten up by the wind and heat and was in bed. My girlfriend Tovah and I found ourselves wanting to venture out to do something, like go to a bar, a dance club... Throughout the weekend I wished someone else our age would be there, luckilly we had a car to drive and Tovah had family nearby so we visited her grandfather to waste some of the day. Anyways, at this point im rambling- I know I am going to recieve criticism on this topic as well as support, but hope in the end administrators add the section and then i'll be proven wrong or right. Maybe there are not as many of us out there as I think- But I believe there are.

WBCCI # 13657
++Take a look at my restoration photo album++
http://picasaweb.google.com/ChadsAirstream
JeepinAudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Oh Gosh golly as my parents used to drill into me - if you want something that bad and nothin else works for ya - then just keep asking!!! you may just receive.

I'm not opposed to any new forum - just was trying to understand this "so called Generation Gap" as it is obviously new to Peter and I and if you insist we have now moved into an "age" where hanging out with 25 years olds may not be too fashionable for us anymore - or we are too blind to see that we are not "hip" or bring down the competition at the local bar or hang out or what ever then I guess we will have to accept that the Younger crowd are just not cool any more tee hee just pulling your chain.

Go for it and since we are on the subject...

and I don't think I have to put it in the Classified section...

Wanted 44 year old couple who love dogs, have no kids (or at least hang out with you anymore) that are into vintage Airstreams, like to drink and carry on, like some adventure DIY'ing on your rig (s) and like to travel give us a PM.

PS. if you are approaching 50'ish or have not quite reached the 40'ish side of life - you are more than welcome to PM us for a good time too
Old 06-26-2005, 02:40 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
I wasn't trying to say we needed this to make friends, just saying it would be nice.... it's its easy enough to add a section to the forum. I know you can't go adding a section everytime someone asks for one, but thought this idea might have merit. I'm too hot and busy to joke around in my reply... were you joking or complaining? Maybe I took GT6921's response the wrong way, but i'll figure out what is going on later- got too much stuff to do tonight.

WBCCI # 13657
Old 06-26-2005, 04:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Jeepin. . .please rest assured that none of us are being critical. Everything we write here on this thread is written with a smile. I think the forum is pleased that we DO have young Airstreamers who enjoy the forum and our conversations. Yes, we may tease a little, but I think that you are entitled to a special niche because you are special! Without you and your voices, this forum could begin to seem stale-it needs your diverse, young, and energetic perspective. I think it's probably true for you that you also need and would enjoy a "youngun's" corner where you talk together just about those parts of your lives and airstreaming experience that pertain to your age. Go for it, enjoy your conversations there, but remember to jump back in here once in a while or we'll miss you! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:15 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

For the record I'm 24, married, no kids, an avid Airstreamer with my own trailer (haven't gotten around to joining the WBCCI yet though), and like the company of all age groups. Some of my best friends are over 40; some over 60. One of them I met on a Classic Winnebago site when I had my Winne. It turned out he lives less than 30 miles away, so our families have been camping together for 3 years now. They have 2 kids (14 and 21) and sometimes I pal around with them just as much as their Dad, but I enjoy the company of everybody. A lot of times when I'm camping I like to listen to the Oldtimers telling stories of yesteryear and drink some beer with 'em. You meet the nicest people while out and about, and age doesn't matter much. It would be nice though to have an area for the younger generation to post and chat, with no discrimination to the older folks.

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 09:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinAudiophile
.... Maybe I took GT6921's response the wrong way, but i'll figure out what is going on later- got too much stuff to do tonight.
Hey JeepinAudiophile you and I definitely need to sit down and have a drink

I like to poke fun and have fun but all meant in the best of intentions - and really was just trying to find out how the years have gone so quick and what was once our life style at 25 - seems to have slipped by without us even noticing - sorry if I ruffled your feathers certainly did not mean to.

Also meant it - you go girl and keep asking for your forum. I hope you get as much out of your new forum as we all get out of the various forums already in place here.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:18 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Sorry for being a pain... I was having a bad day and took the coments the wrong way. I was sun burned, it was 90 degrees in the house, my trusty old fan had just seized-up... anyways, im sorry for getting snappy- I wish I could go back and erase that comment to reply to it on a cooler day... oh well, have a nice day... it's another 90 degree day and i've gotta get out and work on the Tradewind in an attempt to have it ready for Region Rally.

WBCCI # 13657
Old 06-27-2005, 11:08 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Let's do it!

JeepinAudiophile -- I think you're doing a great job of explaining why it is you'd like to see a youth forum and I think you're right on. Those of us who've met you know that you and Tovah get along fine with all ages and you're not trying to put anyone down. Your experience and age makes you a great candidate to act as ambassador for younger people who might be intimidated by this mostly older AirstreamForums group. In fact, this very thread is an example of how we older folks, even though we're not much older and we have the same interests, can be very intimidating to younger people who speak out here. (Be careful though, you might get tagged to be youth moderator. )

Looks like you're idea is ahead in the poll right now by about 79%! So many of us are with you on this and I hope that it works out and that more younger Airstreamers will be brought on board. Three cheers for youthful energy!
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:13 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Hey there, thanks for the support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
JeepinAudiophile -- I think you're doing a great job of explaining why it is you'd like to see a youth forum and I think you're right on. Those of us who've met you know that you and Tovah get along fine with all ages and you're not trying to put anyone down. Your experience and age makes you a great candidate to act as ambassador for younger people who might be intimidated by this mostly older AirstreamForums group. In fact, this very thread is an example of how we older folks, even though we're not much older and we have the same interests, can be very intimidating to younger people who speak out here. (Be careful though, you might get tagged to be youth moderator. )

Looks like you're idea is ahead in the poll right now by about 79%! So many of us are with you on this and I hope that it works out and that more younger Airstreamers will be brought on board. Three cheers for youthful energy!

WBCCI # 13657
Old 06-28-2005, 08:30 AM   #26
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Looks like at this time, there are 36 people interested in starting a "youth area" here on the forums. That should be enough to get it rolling, and once it is, more people will likely come on board.

Oh, Andy!...
Old 06-28-2005, 09:54 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Okay - put my vote in - but went with the one section for now. Only because there is several sections that take up space that have only 1-2 posts in them.

So hope all you "youngens" have a hoot chatting back and forth

Psssst you don't mind if we check in once and a while to see if we can help with any of your quesitons

PSS Heat is a nasty thing - and it is hot here again today - don't mind the heat just the humidity that comes with it - just get all sticky
Old 06-29-2005, 10:08 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Honestly... I invite all people to check in on the youngsters, may be an easier way to track the evolution from A/S youth to A/S owner. The way i'm seeing it is as a place for the younger people to feel more comfortable aiming for on the site, all will be welcome to come into the area, and all youngsters will be encouraged to venture out and read the rest of the site. In my many years visiting forums about Jeeps, Hot Rods, Airstreams, GM's, etc... I have been able to learn a lot and you learn that there are a lot of people out there that are willing and able to help you through your personal, mechanical, electrical...etc. trials and tribulations and there is a place to go when you have a question or concern. Thanks for you vote GT, I also agree at this point that one folder will suffice perfectly well- if the need should rise we will expand. --Chad--

WBCCI # 13657