Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2009, 07:33 AM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I must confess, I started this thread to illustrate a point. There is a simular, but basically the exact opposite thread on the Casita forum here: Casita Vs. Airstream? - The Casita Club Forums

My point on that thread, and actually here also, is that if you poll a certain group of people, i.e. Casita owners about Casitas, and Airstream owners about Airstreams, the outcome of the poll is pretty much guaranteed.

Casita owners in general, are biased toward the trailer they own, as are Airstream owners toward Airstreams. As I stated in the other thread, sort of like asking what is better, a Ford or a Chevrolet in a Ford forum. And, like some of the threads I've seen her...."Do you like your X brand truck for a tow vehicle?"

I actually own both, a Casita and an Airstream. I consider them very much different. Sort of like a mini van and a limo....each with their intended use.

Thanks for your participation, and I opologize for the "setup". Have a good one.
So, what point were you trying to make? And to whom? Airstream owners? Casita owners? Yourself?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Casita owners in general, are biased toward the trailer they own, as are Airstream owners toward Airstreams. As I stated in the other thread, sort of like asking what is better, a Ford or a Chevrolet in a Ford forum. And, like some of the threads I've seen her...."Do you like your X brand truck for a tow vehicle?"
Owning neither an Airstream or a Casita (but having shopped for both), I've got to ask - did you need a thread to confirm this? I don't think you were throwing rocks at a hornet's nest, but none of this is a great surprise.

I don't think the term "bias" is the right one to use either - it's a loaded word. Both threads showed that a majority of the folks were reasonably knowledgable about the other trailer, and made a decision not based on bias, but rather based on picking the right trailer for their wants, needs, and budget.

My $0.01...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Here's Why.........

I was fortunate enough to spend last week with my family in a state park. Just so happened that a Casita was there also, it was very cute and not a common sight in this neck of the woods.

As an owner of different name brands and types of trailers I certainly appreciate others but this is the only picture I took of any trailer all week long. This is all I will ever need to know what the difference is.

Enjoy........... Greetings from the Tinman --- local artist work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tinmanfront.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	78492   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02443.JPG
Views:	930
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	78493  

tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I for one found both threads to be interesting - I get a little discouraged at times when posters get challanged on their topics - after all a forums purpose is to talk about all kinds of things..

I also wonder had Wally been alive today, if there would be a fiberglass Airstream trailer - he was one of the first to make a fiberglass trailer back in the 50's - in fact we had the only remaining "Wally Bee" at our restoration rally last year.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:06 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Owning neither an Airstream or a Casita (but having shopped for both), I've got to ask - did you need a thread to confirm this? I don't think you were throwing rocks at a hornet's nest, but none of this is a great surprise.

I don't think the term "bias" is the right one to use either - it's a loaded word. Both threads showed that a majority of the folks were reasonably knowledgable about the other trailer, and made a decision not based on bias, but rather based on picking the right trailer for their wants, needs, and budget.

My $0.01...

Tom
How true!
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:52 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I am actually not biased toward either brand of trailer over the other. Like I said, they each have their intended use and they do it well.

The point I was trying to make is, if you ask people's opinion of a certain brand of anything, on a forum for that "thing", you will most likely get positive comments. Ask people's opinions of Airstreams on an Airstream form, you will get generally positive comments about Airstream. Ask people's opinions of Casitas on a Casita forum, you get the same generally positive comments. The same holds true of almost anything, hence my comparison to the vehicles.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Erie , Pennsylvania
The casita appears to be a neat little trailer that is light weight and functional. I feel that whatever brand it out there they are more functional now days then they used to be. Designers have been very good in utilizing less space. My love for AS started when I was going through a pile of old magazines in my grandmas basement. I was probably 8 at the time. There was a picture of Nixon talking with astronauts. The astronauts were in the back of the AS. I remember thinking how cool the AS was and vowed someday to own one. That picture is now hanging in my current unit. I have never felt that way about any other rec vehicle. I have always wanted one and now I am lucky enough to own one. I cant ever see myself owning any other brand of trailer. I have and have always had aluminitus.
rollingbubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #28

1974 29' Ambassador
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I know this is an old post. But I just found it.

As an owner of 3 Airstreams and 2 Casitas there is give and take with both. The Airstream may be roomier but the Casita is much easier to tow, repair and easier to get into small camping areas. All of my Airstreams were vintage and my husband and I refurbished each one. (1964, 1978 and a 1974). We actually full timed for 10 years in one.

It's the little things, when we needed parts for just little things we had to get online and look for parts. The Casita we can be on the road and go to Ace or Home Depot and get the parts. Not to mention all the worries with the Airstream's skin.

Don't get me wrong...I will have another Airstream....it's a love affair...But for real great camping in wonderful comfort and not to mention the gasoline.....the Casita has it. The down side is it's not for full timing. (you need a home base because the Casita is more months not years)

I really feel that Wally would of taken a trip in the Casita because it has the same essence that he was producing. Air dynamics, small and light with all the comforts of home.
c2bajart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:39 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
Carpeted walls a reason not to purchase a Casita?

My 2003 Airstream has carpeted walls.
nayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #30

1986 30' Airstream 300
Auburndale , Florida
I too looked into buying a Casita, but the over head height was a deterent. I thought wow I could pull it with a ranger. I also thought how neat they are but I looked at the prices as well. The Casitas are not cheap. The same money bought me a 22' Argosy barely used for $3000. The interior looks brand new dated , but new. I will spend a couple hundred dollars on cushions and probably $800. on a rock guard for the 360 window. So lets just say for $5000. I have got a trailer about the size of a Bambi with all the anemities, still light enough to pull with a smaller truck. There is no signs of water damage inside or out and this pleases me for a trailer of this many years. I work around auctions used cars and campers. I see the horrible workmanship on all these composite trailers. The walls separate. The roofs leak. The window gaskets shrink. The list goes on and on. I feel as though anyone who has done they're research on RV's would never buy anything but an Airstream of course I'm including Argosy in that statement as well!!! LOL
charlietuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I think if you talk to those who have owned Casita's will tell you they are a quality unit - I used to own one - the company is incredible to work with - they stand behind their product - much better than Airstream. Also when you compare how much a new Casita costs vs Airstream - there is no comparision - Castia is way more value for the dollar - But just like C2 above (hello from Tijeras and welcome to the forums!) there is something about these Airstreams that keeps you coming back - talk about addiction - once you get your first wiff of Aluminum - its all over! LOL

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:31 AM   #32
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
I think if you talk to those who have owned Casita's will tell you they are a quality unit - I used to own one - the company is incredible to work with - they stand behind their product - much better than Airstream. Also when you compare how much a new Casita costs vs Airstream - there is no comparision - Castia is way more value for the dollar - But just like C2 above (hello from Tijeras and welcome to the forums!) there is something about these Airstreams that keeps you coming back - talk about addiction - once you get your first wiff of Aluminum - its all over! LOL

Ken J.
I gotta disagree on Airstream not standing behind their product. Under our warranty, Airstream has and still continues to make me happy. No issues here. I call them and they bend over backwards to make me happy. Even small minor issues, they are on top of it.

Airstream for me was an awesome decision.

opinions vary,
Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #33
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
We have a local manufacturer, Scamp, in Minnesota that makes a trailer similar to the Casita. I see lots of Scamps. I don't think I've ever seen a Casita in Minnesota.

I never gave Scamp/Casita much thought because the trailers are too small for what I want to do.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Our friends bought a gently used Casita. They seem happy with it but did mention not even long after they purchased the Casita that they'd like to get an Airstream Bambi someday. Had they shopped with more patience, they could have bought a used 16 foot Bambi or Sport in the same price range as what they paid for the Casita. The GVWR of the AS 16 Sport or Bambi is also the same 3500 pounds as Casita. But what's important is they enjoy the Casita. It seems solid being in just two fiberglass pieces and they last a long time.

As for getting better mileage than a larger unit, IMO, it depends largely on the efficiency of the tow vehicle's engine, among other things. Their Dodge Dakota is not happy towing the Casita and struggles up hills and the mileage isn't great even with empty water tanks. So much for towing with a smaller vehicle. Sometimes a slightly bigger TV with an engine that's up to the task gets far better mileage than a smaller TV or a grocery-getter that's struggling.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I believe there is also a similar unit called a Burro
Old 10-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
There is also U-Hauls,the U-Hauls have a double wall construction,I have an 85 that I am bringing back to life. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #37

1974 29' Ambassador
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Hi to Ken J in Tijeras!!! Nice rig.

I have noticed while shopping for an Airstream the owners have said, We are going to get a Casita. Then while shopping for a Casita the owners have all said, We are going to get an Airstream. Both units are made real well and both have the diehard following.

Just last weekend my nose was pressed against the window another total rehab Airstream.....I have been repairing them and rebuilding for 30 years....and when I see one sitting in a field somewhere I get the itch.....I know these units just like a heart surgeon knows the chest....

But we went newer and in totally perfect used Casita....(which we have mod. out completely, yet leaving it in factory shape) and for once it was great to take it out without rebuilding.

We looked at Bambi's and there weights were still to high for my liking. Totally filled ours weight out at 3300. Plus I'm towing without a sway or equalizer hitch.....You don't even feel the trucks. One of the best things is, if we are off in hitching you just pick the trailer up and put it on the hitch.

But like I said.....it's a love affair and another rehab is going to come home with me one day.

Cris
c2bajart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #38
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
I looked at the Casita website, and you guys are kidding on wanting one....Right?

But opinions vary.....

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Thumbs up

I love all old campers. We started out camping in my '62 Corvair van...then got our '61 Scotty, then the '64 Bambi II. I have also owned and sold four other Scottys after resurrecting them and a Compact Jr. fiberglass trailer. This trailer is much like a Casita except it has an elevating roof much like a VW bus and a rear entry door. It was tall enough for me to stand in it.

I will be working on the Bambi II after Winter...and it along with the Corvair van and '61 Scotty, is a keeper. If anyone ever offered to GIVE me a 19' Scamp (also fiberglass) fifth wheel trailer to pull with my Corvair pickup truck, you bet I'd take it! What a rig that would be! This "cool" camper thing really is a disease!

Ben
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Coolness comes in many forms

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
I love all old campers. We started out camping in my '62 Corvair van...then got our '61 Scotty, then the '64 Bambi II. I have also owned and sold four other Scottys after resurrecting them and a Compact Jr. fiberglass trailer. This trailer is much like a Casita except it has an elevating roof much like a VW bus and a rear entry door. It was tall enough for me to stand in it.

This "cool" camper thing really is a disease!

Ben
I'm with you on this, Ben! I love old campers too. The Compact Jr. is a really cool design. I'd LOVE to get my hands on that Wally Bee. It would satisfy all my trailer needs! We have had 2 fiberglass "egg" trailers. We only have our Boler now. The Boler was the forerunner of the Casita. I help organize rallies every summer and we get 70+ trailers. I think I have "glass" class and aluminitus. They are not mutually exclusive.

Take a look at my website (bolerama.org) to see how cool these little trailers are.

Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote