Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2005, 07:08 AM   #1
Craftsman

Airstream Product Improvements

I would like to start a new thread to get forum members ideas for things that Airstream could include as standard or offer as options to improve Airstream trailers.
My idea is to bring back the double door on the longer trailers as an option. I think that this was a great feature that should still be offered.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
...My idea is to bring back the double door on the longer trailers as an option. I think that this was a great feature that should still be offered.
Craftsman,

You're just jealous that we have one and you don't.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
Craftsman

True, so true
Old 08-28-2005, 10:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Good topic!

I'd like to have an option of getting 2 reclining chairs instead of the full width coach across the entire front of our trailer. These could be of the Lazy Boy style, so you could put up a foot rest and recline to watch TV (or whatever), but they would also fully recline into full length beds if needed.

I'd also like the option of deleting the 2 Zip Dee chairs that seem to have come as standard items in Airstreams ever since time began (?) and either have a choice of getting an Airstream without any chairs, or else with the type of chair that fully reclines (with foot rests), and with colors and graphics to match our Airstream. I prefer to carry my chairs in my truck and keep the owner's manual where the Zip Dee chairs were originally stored.

John
Old 08-28-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

The fold-up main table always seems to me to be of unimaginative design and low quality material. One of the first interior improvements I made was to replace this table with an oval design in lamimated hardwoods. Nick.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:59 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

More bunk options on more trailers

for those of us that have kids.
bdogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:06 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
A pre-wired exterior cellular phone antenna and outlet.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Ditto on the Lazy Boy recliner and cellular prewire options!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:43 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
How about they first start with resolving all the quality issues posted on the 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, etc. Quality Issues threads....

Once Airstream resolves those issues, we would have really liked an option for a much nicer bed mattress, such as a Comfortaire or SelectComfort air regulated air mattress that can adjust soft/firmness for each occupant. We ended up having to go get one aftermarket and cut to the shorter RV mattress length. (My wife and I used to think the adjustable air mattress thing was a big gimmick, but then just before and after her back surgery, her doctor PRESCRIBED an air mattress for her recovery, and it has made the world of difference in our sleep patterns and ability to rest. We will never go back to regular spring mattresses!)

The option to have a propane, 110v AND 12v fridge/freezer would have been nice.

The option to have dimmer switches for our lighting would be really cool!

Don't know if it can be engineered into the current framework, but a self-leveling trailer (with automatic jacks like you see with those really expensive SOB buses) would be a nice option.

Oh yes, a four season, fully winterized version (e.g. water pipes wrapped, insulated, and enclosed away) of the A/S would be a nice option.
If I think of any more, will post!
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I'm with sarmimi--maybe they should just do better quality control. The trim staples should be shot in so the points don't cause bleeding arms as you walk to the bedroom.

The wall of the shower should not be separating from the fiberboard of the hallway. The kitchen corian should not be pulling away from the wall.

The wall electrical outlet receptacle should not be crooked.

What in h is the workforce like in OH?

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmimi
How about they first start with resolving all the quality issues posted on the 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, etc. Quality Issues threads....

Oh yes, a four season, fully winterized version (e.g. water pipes wrapped, insulated, and enclosed away) of the A/S would be a nice option.
If I think of any more, will post!
Sign me up for the 4 season model, and while they're at it, why not offer us drawers that stay shut as a standard item (your reference to quality reminded me again of that sore subject).

Also, although our trailer has a dimmer switch on the lights over the dinette, your suggestion also reminded me that it would be really nice to have adjustable, swivel, his/hers bedroom reading lights (ours are stationary now), and separate dimmers for each light would be very nice (per your suggestion).

John
Old 08-28-2005, 01:09 PM   #12
_

. , .
craftsman

didn't you order a new tube? shouldn't it be arriving soon.

i am very happy with the 34 kingsford edition.....the wood in mine is very nicely done and 99+ free of defects....for those wanting a hardwood table, they do weigh more and the only bit of wood on mine that was defective was the hardwood table..it had a very tiny crack in one board that was filled but is still there....as agreed and they are shipping me a new table to arrive tuesday.....

visited with a couple who had a new 34/slide with all the extra goodies except hickory.....their coach was really well made too. i'm convinced the guys on the line take a little more care with the long classics.

i like the idea of a thread devoted to innovations and possible improvements and how these changes might/not work....lets get creative and keep the quality issues on those other threads. bitchin' really chokes creativity.

as for 2 doors on the long ones......it wouldn't be that hard for them to modifiy a floor plan for this.....there would be some loss space to create another path out. and an awning strut to deal with, but not that they have a door that opens the other way....they could use that....cool.

my primary issue with more 'holes' is that there really is alot of movement in the long frame/shells. my door gaps change whenever the tubes not PERFECTLY level. also getting the slides to move right really requires careful efforts. i think these issues just go along with the semi mono shell design.....but i'll put that elsewhere.

as for recliners.....i really love this idea too. so much so that i added the moho glide/recline/stool/shivel chair to mine.... and i may eventually pull the sofa and do the 2 chair mod.....have to hide the electrical bits/batteries somehow since they are under the sofa.....

and you really can order'em with this. be prepared for $$ shock though.....the ultra leather sofa upgrade is only 200$ or so while the recliner with stool is a grand!

they seem to be doing the most 'creative' stuff with the safari....bunks or office or front bedrooms or rear doors or special edition....maybe because this is the volume model right now....

and make that exterior cell antenna good for ALL wireless needs.....

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:11 PM   #13
Craftsman

The air mattress at least as an option is an excellent idea, as well as all the others posted especially the prewired exterior cellular phone jacks. Come on, cell phones are here to stay at some point probably replacing all others. Everyone must have at least one idea that they would like to see implimented. Most large co.s pay for focus groups here's a chance to let Airstream know what you'd like to see. Even if it's just for fun.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:12 PM   #14
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Improve Airstream Trailers

I agree with Kistler. I sure would like to know who is their quality control person. Because he's/she's not doing their job!

Short of the inconvience of taking it to an authorized service center to correct those things that should of been caught in Ohio, I can't understand why AS doesn't do it right the first time? It cost them $$ which cuts into their profits.

Let's get AS Ohio to get their act together first, then see about "other" improvements.

R/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:28 PM   #15
Craftsman

The quality issues while valid, are another thread. As for the double doors, they did in the 90's! Here's what I'm talking about. Now isn't that nice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_curbside-med.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	14293  
Old 08-28-2005, 03:47 PM   #16
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Some small items

Put in a useful magazine rack in place of the paltry rack that is in there now. I have modified a number of trailers with a 18" wide rack that provides space for 2 8 1/2 wide books side by side. That material cost difference would be pennies.

Offer the option of reading lights on the valances over the foldout tables. I modified my prior trailer and saved the fixtures when I traded it. I was actually measuring today to put the fixtures in the new trailer.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

I agree two doors would be nice. Even my 1997 21ft Sunline had 2 doors.

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 03:57 PM   #18
Craftsman

John , I know that you have built added a number of usefull accessories for both your 25' and now 28' Classic. One of the first things that I built was also a double wide magazine rack. (The one that I feature in my ad in Airstream Life. )It's made from quatersawn whie oak ( one of my favorite woods) But I have also made them from Red Oak.
Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mag rack.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	14294  
Old 08-28-2005, 04:29 PM   #19
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
But I have also made them from Red Oak.
Jack
Mine aren't quite so fancy.

I have a wide rack now laying on the back seat of my car, destined for a friend whose pre-wide-body 25' Classic didn't even include a magazine rack;. nada! When I built mine for the 28', I offered to build him one for the cost of the material. It is about as easy to build two as to build one when the tools are set up. His is stained Classic Oak while mine is simply clear varnished.

I'm lazy, so I simply buy dimension red oak from Lowe's and run a 3/16" rounding router bit on the corners. I do have some 5/4 red oak planks in the shop that I can resaw and run through the planer if I need a special size or don't want to run to Lowe's. I assemble everythhing with the pneumatic nailer and glue where appropriate.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Are you saying if I had paid more I could have gotten quality? As far as I'm concerned, it does not matter.

Kistler

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote