Old 11-08-2005, 10:37 AM   #71
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
We settled for the least disliked fabric on our 2004 Classic as well. I bet there are dozens of Airstream owners who could recommend fabrics that would be more appealing to a broader spectrum of customers.

John
We are waiting for the Safari SE package to be available in the 30' Bunk plan to get our coach. It is supposed to come out after the first of the year. Since the amarillo is no longer available (it seemed to come close to fitting the African theme) my wife has decided that we will get the midnight sun interior and substitute our own linens. In fact, she has already purchased all of them...both bunks and the queen comforter as well as Egyptian cotton sheets for all of the beds. We plan to get the ultra-leather sofa so that leaves only the dinette and draperies. She felt that she could live with the fabric that comes on the dinette and the valances. I expect she will have new draperies made too.

I agree that Airstream needs to conduct some focus groups on decor choices. I don't like the interior options for the CCD's (too retro) but the Classics are too '80s formal. There should be some middle ground in there somewhere that would be contemporary, but not retro but still warm and inviting and still be casual. Maybe there should be a special set of fabric options for the SE line since they are a blending of the International and Safari lines.

BTW, if you are curious, my wife chose a tropical/African motiff for our bedding. The tableware has a tropical/palm/banana motiff with banana leaf place mats. Everything ties together with either palms, shells, or banana leaves in subtle shades of green and tans.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:41 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Ditch the bedspread

Airstream should ditch the unbelievably bulky and totally impractical bedspreads. There is no good place to stow the bulky things. I gave the spread from my '25 to Goodwill and I gave Bill Thomas the spread from the '28 when I upgraded. I figured they could use it to spiffy up my old trailer for sale.

The bedspreads do look nice when a trailer is on display for sale, but that is all they are good for. I find that an attractive blanket works a lot better and stows easily.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:47 AM   #73
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Maybe ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I don't like the interior options for the CCD's (too retro) but the Classics are too '80s formal.
The reason that I like the decor in my Classic is that it is not formal. The valences (see photo) are simple and colorful as is the couch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valence.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	16144  
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-08-2005, 12:00 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
We are waiting for the Safari SE package to be available in the 30' Bunk plan to get our coach. It is supposed to come out after the first of the year.
We have a 28" International, but if they do build the 30' Safari Bunk with the SE package,(please build it, if you do, the buyers will come ) we may be looking to trade. We really like our current AS, but the bunk model with the SE option could be the supreme family traveling machine. The midnight sun interior does look good with this option.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:24 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
Airstream should ditch the unbelievably bulky and totally impractical bedspreads.
The bedspreads do look nice when a trailer is on display for sale, but that is all they are good for. I find that an attractive blanket works a lot better and stows easily.
We was wondering what to do with ours, and decided to keep it should we ever decide to trade up for another Airstream in the future. The only way to get it to a reasonable size was to put it in one of those Space Bags and suction the air out to compress it down. We bought a nice heavy fleece cover that looks, and feels, much better.

https://www.spacebag.com/spacebag
Old 11-08-2005, 01:48 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Airstream should ditch the unbelievably bulky and totally impractical bedspreads. There is no good place to stow the bulky things. I gave the spread from my '25 to Goodwill and I gave Bill Thomas the spread from the '28 when I upgraded. I figured they could use it to spiffy up my old trailer for sale.

I agree with you, except my wife does use the bedspreads (we have twins) to keep the dust off the beds when our trailer is in winter storage. Other than that the bedspreads (and bed pillows) go into storage when our trailer comes out of storage. I wish they could be deleted for a reduction in price on a new trailer.

Also, now that we've had the trailer for a full 2 seasons, I wish there was a practical way to get rid of our Corian counter top extension. We've never used it, it weighs a half ton, and it's just another item that added cost to the new trailer, but (like the spice rack previously mentioned) isn't particularly useful to us. Perhaps some people may find it useful though.

John
Old 11-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Also, now that we've had the trailer for a full 2 seasons, I wish there was a practical way to get rid of our Corian counter top extension. We've never used it, it weighs a half ton, and it's just another item that added cost to the new trailer, but (like the spice rack previously mentioned) isn't particularly useful to us. Perhaps some people may find it useful though.

John
I have a friend with a 30 Limited that finally removed the counter extension because it is so heavy that it bent 3 sets of hinges. WIth all of the counter space on the 30 and larger trailers, there is really very little need for a counter extension.

You could remove it and replace it with a wide magazine rack to cover the holes. Craftsman advertises a wide rack in Airstream Life and I have made several for myself and friends.

On our 28, the extension is useful because counter space is fairly limited. However, I use it only for the coffee maker or toaster and it goes right back down when not needed. Ours is wood, which takes care of the weight problem.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-08-2005, 05:31 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
I have a friend with a 30 Limited that finally removed the counter extension because it is so heavy that it bent 3 sets of hinges. WIth all of the counter space on the 30 and larger trailers, there is really very little need for a counter extension.
We had 1 hinge break in half on our 30' Limited during our trip back to PA from MT last month. The hinges that Airstream uses apparently don't support the heavy weight of the counter extension.

John
Old 11-08-2005, 09:35 PM   #79

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:

Yes John we think the same thing. Not only is it bulky but it's no good (too stiff) to use as an extra cover. We probably will pull it off next spring and put it in a bag to store and put on a spread that is at least useful.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:38 PM   #80

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:

John
Interesting that my 2004 Classic 30' slide out came with the wood extension. I wonder when they made the change to Corian or vice versa? My trailer was built Oct 2003.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:47 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
I'm just learnin'

One petty thing that torques me is the pocket full of keys I have to carry for this little thing ! Two or three of these locks should be keyed alike !

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:27 PM   #82
Craftsman

Hey you revived the thread after more than a year.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:32 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1970 23' Safari
1956 16' Bubble
Jamul , California
I have to agree on the keys.
All the compartments should at least be the same.
Gotta ask why this "design improvement" thread is not a regular "Designers Cafe" hang out? Not a gripe area but an improvment-designs update area.
Stream Safe-
Bob U-
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1970 Safari 23' Land Yacht
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:30 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, nobody mentioned a strippo. How about a stripped model for beginners. Take a basic Safari and leave out the microwave oven and use that space for kitchen storage. Leave out the roof air and install a third basic vent. No floor carpet, all vinyl flooring. No bedding, covers pillows etc. Leave out the radio and sound system. Make the fold out table with one top, not two. Install a stove top only, no oven Etc.
Now, I would make this trailer pre-wired for everything. Owner wants to add A/C, Oven, Fantastic fans, Stereo, Microwave Etc. everything justs fits in place and plugs in.
Sell the strippo at an affordable price and let the owner slowly bring it up to the level they want as they can afford to.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote