Old 08-28-2005, 02:28 PM   #15
Craftsman

The quality issues while valid, are another thread. As for the double doors, they did in the 90's! Here's what I'm talking about. Now isn't that nice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_curbside-med.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	14293  
Old 08-28-2005, 04:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Some small items

Put in a useful magazine rack in place of the paltry rack that is in there now. I have modified a number of trailers with a 18" wide rack that provides space for 2 8 1/2 wide books side by side. That material cost difference would be pennies.

Offer the option of reading lights on the valances over the foldout tables. I modified my prior trailer and saved the fixtures when I traded it. I was actually measuring today to put the fixtures in the new trailer.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:50 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

I agree two doors would be nice. Even my 1997 21ft Sunline had 2 doors.

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:57 PM   #18
Craftsman

John , I know that you have built added a number of usefull accessories for both your 25' and now 28' Classic. One of the first things that I built was also a double wide magazine rack. (The one that I feature in my ad in Airstream Life. )It's made from quatersawn whie oak ( one of my favorite woods) But I have also made them from Red Oak.
Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mag rack.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	14294  
Old 08-28-2005, 05:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
But I have also made them from Red Oak.
Jack
Mine aren't quite so fancy.

I have a wide rack now laying on the back seat of my car, destined for a friend whose pre-wide-body 25' Classic didn't even include a magazine rack;. nada! When I built mine for the 28', I offered to build him one for the cost of the material. It is about as easy to build two as to build one when the tools are set up. His is stained Classic Oak while mine is simply clear varnished.

I'm lazy, so I simply buy dimension red oak from Lowe's and run a 3/16" rounding router bit on the corners. I do have some 5/4 red oak planks in the shop that I can resaw and run through the planer if I need a special size or don't want to run to Lowe's. I assemble everythhing with the pneumatic nailer and glue where appropriate.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Are you saying if I had paid more I could have gotten quality? As far as I'm concerned, it does not matter.

Kistler

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:07 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
What would I like to see in new Airstreams? What would make me buy a new one?
Well let me tell ya…. That four season option would be one thing! Cutting the weight bloat would be another. And a second door would be a huge plus. Those are the Big Three.
Let me identify the market segment I would belong to…. For us, our Airstream is mobile quarters while traveling. The trip is the thing, not necessarily the destination. Except for the dog shows! That’s one of our primary reasons for travel…. To show the dogs! We generally stay on the show grounds so we are near all the action, and have our creature comforts close. We’re empty nesters, with pockets that are not all that deep. We spend a few weekends a year in campgrounds nearby, and take several lengthy trips each year.
Outside cell phone antennae would be nifty. I want the trailer protected from brownouts, power surges, and all power filtered and conditioned to protect my sometimes finicky electronics devices. Cable and CAT connections would be handy. A spot found to install generators for up to 50 amps, perhaps enclosed and a fuel storage area, or a planned space for me to install later.
As for those magazine racks you guys are all hot to have….. ummm….. no….. no wait! I could store the laptop in one!
I want the interior simple. Get rid of the carpeting! ALL the carpeting must go! I don’t run a vacuum at home, why in the world should I while on the road? Give me cushy, light weight, impervious flooring! I can always change out throw rugs for a different look or when they are dirty. And while I’m thinking about it, give me a kitchen sink with spout I can actually get something under! Like a Moen hi-lo setup. And how about some sort of pressure regulator or booster where I can actually get some water pressure there, more than a mere trickle! And some place other than the shower to store my outside collapsible trash can, broom, mop, small bucket, and (gasp!) ironing board! Figure out a way to have the microwave without wasting space around it or having to pull stuff out to use it! That pull out counter in our 1983 is one of my favorite touches, use it all the time!
In the bathroom, I can’t say I am discontent. Two more power outlets would be helpful, and using a riser unit for all toilets would be a good idea.
Bedrooms… better mattresses for sure! And those beds should be hinged to pull up so you can store long items in the area between the storage drawers. We did this when we first bought our 83… there I can stow grooming arms, short flagpoles, and several longish items, including support poles for the sunshade. And adjustable reading lamps over the bed! Maybe a halogen lamp on an arm that could be locked down for travel.
The closet…. I wish it had a sturdier bottom shelf! I stack heavier items there, under hung up shirts. Bruce finally reinforced the shelf so it would actually support some weight!
Living room… well, options to let those that select, have those recliners or reading chairs rather than the sofa. When I think on it, those chairs that make into a bed aren’t a bad idea. Of course, you would lose the under sofa storage but what do you REALLY use it for? I store bedding, table linens, booze, and my sunshade there. In any event, changeable covers for all upholstery! I really like that idea! Regarding window treatments, I don’t care one way or the other… I like my roller shades but would LOVE something like is on airline windows, where it rolls into concealed area. And I really want tiebacks of some kind on those drapes! I need to get those out of the way of the dogs… Calla hangs out on the end of the sofa and keeps watch through the curved windows up front.
Outside, well again, at least two more outlets! And better lighting, front and back, and maybe a low placed step light, with a light that actually lets me see where to stick the key to unlock!
Ya know? If I really thought about it, I bet I could come up with a whole list of things! Like using corrugated product for interior walls and cabinet cases, laminating other materials to fronts and backs… light, strong, and still able to make a fashion statement if desired.
Oh jeez. Let me think about this a little……. There have GOT to be some things that would improve an Airstream….. just one or two!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 08-28-2005, 08:57 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
A few more ideas...

Thought of a few more:

For us folks with no kids (empty nesters or just by choice) but with pets (which, there seems to be quite a few of us out there), how about an option for a pull out pet bed, perhaps stored under the sofa?

Or an option to have the same United Shade covers on all the side windows as are used on the ceiling sky lights and port windows (they are accordian style and work great! Much better than the roll-up tension shades). I know that the skylights and port windows don't open, so that might be an issue, but there has got to be some clever enough people at A/S or United Shade who could figure out how to make it work with a window that does open.

Don't know if there is even any RV appropriate technolgy out there, but how about a dishwasher option? We seem to entertain enough using our A/S that hand washing that many dishes for a dinner party is a real pain.

Or an option to have a stainless steel countertop next to the kitchen sink that will drain right into the sink to ease with dish drying, prepping foods, etc. Plus it will make the galley look more like a gourmet kitchen!

How about a tow hitch option for the trailer to easily attach a bike rack, ski rack, or other gear? I know this would start to add some weight to the rear and will accentuate sway, but maybe on those equipped and loaded as such, just balance it out by loading more weight to the front of the trailer?

An option to have a dedicated wine fridge would be wonderful - one where we could lay our bottles down sideways and have some sort of securing device for transit mode, with a digital thermometer to regulate the right temp for reds/whites/champagne - in fact, dual temp zones like those featured in a sub-zero wine fridge would be great!

Option to have an external LP gas hookup that we could easily attach a line to and connect our propane BBQ to (the after market T-adaptor we have is a pain - we have to disconnect with a wrench each time we have to fill the tanks, then re-attach. A simple connector located somewhere along the LP gas line or maybe in a lockable box on the street side or near the front would be great.)

An option to have an affixed ladder to access the roof for repairs/cleaning/polishing, etc.

An option to have higher end cushions for the dinnette area and sofa -e.g. thicker, maybe with a synthetic pillow cushion that feels like down.

An option to have a built in vacuuming system, like you see in some homes where you just connect the hose to a wall port, or just sweep dust and dirt into a suctioning vent, with the catch canister accessible from the exterior.

Well, as more ideas hit, I will post again!
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
good heavens

all i ask of my trailer is a cute, safe place to sleep when on the road. it still thrills me that the lights turn on.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
And, how about for flooring using some sort of that plastic molded sawdust type stuff that is being used in other construction methods. It would be impervous to water damage, it could be manufactured in single sheets exactly to the correct size, and it would not rot, mold mildew or absorb anything. It should have decent R Factor, and more than adequate strength as well without breaking the weight parameters.

Replacement floors could be made for those needing the full monte due to floor rot.

I am not an engineer and so there is probably someone out there that can give me a jillion reasons why this is a bad idea...then again, maybe it would work...

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:35 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Dump the cheap windows on the Safari line.

Other than that, keep making new floorplans and revising the older ones.

For example. I'm looking at the 25' SE, but would have loved the 31' Dinette if it had some more space between the couch and the dinette like the 30' without having a pass through bathroom in the main hall.

Alas, it's still the coolest coach on this rock, even without my suggestions!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:35 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
On the all season side, I would like to see double paned windows all around. Adding vents that blow hot air UP the trailer walls and windows will help cut down on interion condensation. I'd also like to see better insulation inside the walls.

Last night was a cold night in the trailer. I had time to think about these things while the heater was trying to warm us up.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:44 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
On the all season side, I would like to see double paned windows all around. Adding vents that blow hot air UP the trailer walls and windows will help cut down on interion condensation. I'd also like to see better insulation inside the walls.

Last night was a cold night in the trailer. I had time to think about these things while the heater was trying to warm us up.
Ditto with Chris (and if you think your night was cold, we are at 9.300 ft elev and boy, it drops below freezing regularly up here now!). But realize that with the CCD model, since there is no lining on the ceiling or walls as in the Safari or Classic model, when it drops below a certain temp, condensation on the interior aluminum finish will happen. It happens on the Safari and Classic models also, it's just that one can't see the condensation as it is absorbed or hidden by the lining. We usually have our shower vent on to pull some of the condesation out of our AS.

Maybe instead of having forced air heating, an option to have radiant heat under the floor would be great for the winterized option model (or any model for that matter). It would also solve the issue for those of us with dust allergies or who don't like the smell resulting from using the forced air heater.

Perhaps instead of using the standard fiberglass insulation inside the walls, how about the option to use structurally insulated panels (SIPS) as used by timberframe homes. These consist of, typically, a urethane core sandwiched between two OSB boards - great structural strength, high R insulating value, etc. These could work great on an airstream, especially a winterized version!
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:21 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

get someone with a little style to pick out the fabrics........ugly!!!!
they seem to have no taste in ohio.................