Old 02-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #155
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
First off...I am an Airstream Dealer in Arkansas...we have dealer meetings coming up in June...I would like to hear about some positive improvements that could be made also. I'm with 2air...complaining doesn't go to far with the Mothership...but positive comments for improvements do...I was on the dealer council last year and they really listened to some of the things we had to say. So bend my ear if you like...just don't rip it off!!!

G

Old 02-08-2007, 09:29 AM   #156

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
G,

Tell them they need to fix the leaking showers. I think from what we have seen here on the forums over the years, and my personal experience from buying two new trailers, that leaking shower door issue just drives me crazy. I just don't understand why they can't do it right the first time, and then needing another 2 trips to the dealer to finally get it stopped.

Secondly and most importantly is quality, quality, quality. You will find that most of us who buy new, have high expectations based on the $$$ we pay for these units. Nothing is more frustrating than to see defects that are either sloppy workmanship, or use of marginal materials. I've had two skylights leak on my Classic. One leaked while still under warranty, the other a year later not under warranty. Yes I know all roof penetrations will eventually leak, but not on a trailer a little over a year old. That's sloppy workmanship.

I've got a cracking shroud on the air conditioner. Should that fail after 3 years of ownership? I have a mirror that attached to a cabinet with double sticky tape. The tape failed after one year. Is this the best way to mount mirrors?

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #157
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Jack,

Thanks for the input...I agree on the quality...that is something that I have addressed with them...my guys should not have to spend time fixing things the day the unit arrives from the factory. We have repaired many of shower door leaks so I feel your pain! That has been addressed also and I hope this will be resovled quickly if not already. I really think the group of folks they have in place now are really trying to get things going in the right directions.

Thanks again!

G
Old 02-08-2007, 02:55 PM   #158
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorris
I'm with 2air...complaining doesn't go to far with the Mothership...but positive comments for improvements do...I was on the dealer council last year and they really listened to some of the things we had to say. So bend my ear if you like...just don't rip it off!!!

G
It's hard to make suggestions for improvements without complaining about something that needs improving, but here goes.

We have one of the last Bunk floor plans made. Since I began posting on this forum, one of the most desirable options on the vintage units has been the bunk beds. There were precious few of those made and many have converted mid twins into bunk bed units over time. We love our 30' Safari Bunk especially since we have two boys who love the bunks and we love the fact that we don't have to set up beds every night and dismantle beds every morning to eat breakfast. I think Airstream ought to revisit family floor plans again.

However, in order to appeal to the family market I don't think they should be looking at a 30', $57,000-$60,000 trailer. Most families with small children don't want to invest that much in a travel trailer or don't have that much disposable cash to invest. Most families with small children have an SUV and don't want a 3/4 ton truck or 3/4 ton SUV to tow it with or can't afford the fuel to use such a beast as a daily commuter. And, lastly, I think most families with small children are intimidated by the idea of a 30' trailer and 3/4 ton tow vehicle and want something smaller.

It would be great if Airstream could come out with a 19'-22' or even 24' Safari that had a queen bed and bunk beds, even if they didn't have separate "bedrooms", with a gaucho for guest (kids love to take friends camping) that would be light enough to tow behind an Explorer, similar mid-sized GM product, or mid-sized import SUV.

My other recommendation for improvement would be to get rid of those Hehr windows!!!!!!!!!!!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #159
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
G.

It would be in the interest of everyone who has to winterize to have AS install the Camco valve, an under twenty dollar part, that doubles as an in-take for the anti-freeze just off the water pump. There is no reason to have to install this yourself and would be simple for AS at the time of build. It just seems silly if you don't have this, the only option is to pour a few gallons of the pink stuff in the FW tank.

If I were to re-design the 19' bambi, I'd get rid of the vanity with the hub-cap size sink and the medicine cabinet with the double-stick mirror. This would give the kitchen and especially the sink to grow by about 18 inches. I don't mind brushing my teeth in the kitchen sink. We're camping.

Thanks.

Jonathan
Old 02-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #160
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
My bath and its sink can't be much larger than yours, but I don't like the idea of shaving in the kitchen sink...yes, I shave every day even when camping. I do, however, use an electric razor to save on hot water. Even so, its nice to have that sink in the bathroom even if it is crowded in there!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Old School...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
A pre-wired exterior cellular phone antenna and outlet.

Jack
mr. jack,

forward thinking would dictate satelite prewire (as in, up and down link). cell will be soooo.... passe' shortly.

kevbo
Old 02-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #162
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Thanks for the input...I agree about the bunk bed option...you can still get a bunk over the full size bed in the 19'...I was thinking about a fold down bunk above the dinette in the front but I'm not sure that would work...we had one of the first 30' Safari Bunkhouse model that was made...it took me 18 months to sell that unit...the first and last one that I had. I too think it was to long and heavy for most.

I think I will start a thread just for improvements ideas for the 2007 Dealer Meetings in June and see what we can get accomplished.

Gene
Old 02-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #163

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
G.

It would be in the interest of everyone who has to winterize to have AS install the Camco valve, an under twenty dollar part, that doubles as an in-take for the anti-freeze just off the water pump. There is no reason to have to install this yourself and would be simple for AS at the time of build. It just seems silly if you don't have this, the only option is to pour a few gallons of the pink stuff in the FW tank.
Yes, yes, yes to this one. I bought my own but to mount it I need to remount the pump in a different location in order to avoid the wheel well. For a premium priced product this one should be a no brainer.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 02-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #164

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
mr. jack,

forward thinking would dictate satelite prewire (as in, up and down link). cell will be soooo.... passe' shortly.

kevbo
Well up and down satelite becomes a little more iffy since the expense for this service isn't cheap. In addition doing an uplink (dependent upon power output), is not something that any person should be setting up.

The cell phone is here and now and for the masses, that would be a great option.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 02-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Cost???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Well up and down satelite becomes a little more iffy since the expense for this service isn't cheap. In addition doing an uplink (dependent upon power output), is not something that any person should be setting up.

The cell phone is here and now and for the masses, that would be a great option.

Jack
mr. jack,

good.

i'll do the forward thinking.

love,

kevbo
Old 02-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #166
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
I like the idea of the Camco valve...we have installed a few of them ourselves...once again, it seems it would be much easier at the time of production...
Old 02-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #167
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
We have added storage under the refer in the Safari by making a removable panel and slide in container...somethings like that I'm sure lots of you have done but it just never hurts hearing it again.

I also agree with the previous post about the drawers sliding out during travel...escpecially in the nightstand in the twin bed floorplan...I will address that one again at the DM.