Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Poor Door Lock Design...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvalley
This afternoon I took the inside faceplate off the main door lock of our 06 Safari, assembled on Dec 05. The inside locking slider that sometimes "auto locks" for folks, is loaded with a spring that should avoid the "auto" part of locking. I exercised ours and it was firm to stay unlocked. However, eventually the spring may weaken, and the momentium of closing the door with a slam, as we always have to do with ours, could lock the door. Just catching your hand on the lock lever as you close the door could "auto" lock also. John
great post. i can't tell you how many times i've seen this happen. like in death valley, cutting through the galley skylight to gain access.

does this mean if were still in warrenty, or not, we have the spring replaced with something a little more heavy duty? besides carrying extra keys all other the planet.

kevbo

Old 02-01-2007, 01:14 AM   #128
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvalley
This afternoon I took the inside faceplate off the main door lock of our 06 Safari, assembled on Dec 05. The inside locking slider that sometimes "auto locks" for folks, is loaded with a spring that should avoid the "auto" part of locking. I exercised ours and it was firm to stay unlocked. However, eventually the spring may weaken, and the momentium of closing the door with a slam, as we always have to do with ours, could lock the door. Just catching your hand on the lock lever as you close the door could "auto" lock also.
The thinking cap is on; our lock will be modified with an uncomplicated fail-safe mecanical device to avoid "auto lock."
Auto locked outside at night in bad weather is not for us, nor any other time.
John
I will really appreciate your fail-safe ideas...and I'll be looking for them!
Thanks, not only from me but everybody else who've been locked out this way....

Debra

http://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:09 AM   #129
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We only have one set of keys to our trailer. While at JC last summer I tried to buy more but they only sell the blanks. They said I could go to the hardware store in town to have the copies made, but I was 10 hours from home and didn't find this out until "check-out" time at 2:00 in the afternoon and didn't want to go on a wild goose chase in down town Jackson Center...no matter how short a chase that may have been...so I now have blanks and I haven't found a place that has an old fashioned key lathe that can cut them for me!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #130
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
We only have one set of keys to our trailer. While at JC last summer I tried to buy more but they only sell the blanks. They said I could go to the hardware store in town to have the copies made, but I was 10 hours from home and didn't find this out until "check-out" time at 2:00 in the afternoon and didn't want to go on a wild goose chase in down town Jackson Center...no matter how short a chase that may have been...so I now have blanks and I haven't found a place that has an old fashioned key lathe that can cut them for me!

Most any Hardware store can cut key blanks.

Andy
Old 02-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #131
4 Rivet Member

Lazy Boy Recliners

I too would like to have the lazy boy recliner option, wondering if anyone has removed the couch and replaced with recliners that they could share a pic or two? Thanks
Old 02-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #132
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Most any Hardware store can cut key blanks.

Andy
It seems the big box home improvement stores have put the old fashioned mom-n-pop hardware stores out of business in my area.

The big box stores have specific machines made for specific brands of keys like "kwickset", etc. and those will only take their keys and will only cut their blanks. I watched the key tech (yes, it has got to the point of being that specialized at our local store) cut a key for a customer. He put the blank in what looked like a square version of a key cylinder and the original in a corresponding square cylinder and put both in the machine and pressed a button and a few seconds later the machine stopped. He took the copy out and stuck it into a slot and pressed another button. When the machine stopped, he put the copy in a small envelope with a bar code on it and handed it to the customer with the original. Seems pretty simple to have a specialized employee to do it, but the customer had to wait for this particular employee to get back from his break before getting the key cut.

I remember getting a key made at the same big box home improvement store about 5-6 years ago and the first store clerk that came along stuck my original in a small vise and a blank in another small vise on the other side of the cutting wheel, turned the machine on and slid a pantograph guide along the edge of the original while the cutting wheel did it's thing to the blank. When he finished he brushed it against a wire wheel and handed me the key with a hand written ticket to give to the cashier. My how times have changed.

I think I will have to run over to the next town where there is an Ace Hardware Store and see if they have a real key lathe.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 02-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #133
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The good old times from yesteryear, are becoming harder and harder to find.

By many of today's standards, the good old day's seemed so primative.

But the memories live on.

Go man, go.

Andy
Old 02-01-2007, 01:33 PM   #134
4 Rivet Member

Big Boys

This is off thread, I agree the big boxes are putting the little guys out of business, we've even lost our local ACE hardware, that made keys, that was right in the middle of ASO, Sears, Home Depot and 2 Lowes. Its no wonder why some cities do not want Wal Mart, but I shop at Walmart. Remember the old Mom & Pop grocery stores of days gone by?
Old 02-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #135

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I know that independent locksmiths are still in abundance in the greater St. Louis area and normally I can get keys made there. They may cost a little more but normally they have a greater number of blank key types available and they do a careful job in cutting. You might check your yellow pages for some lock smith stores to do this for you.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Our Small Town...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I know that independent locksmiths are still in abundance in the greater St. Louis area and normally I can get keys made there. They may cost a little more but normally they have a greater number of blank key types available and they do a careful job in cutting. You might check your yellow pages for some lock smith stores to do this for you.

Jack
so here in my town of simi valley, california, we have the ronald reagan library AND an old fashioned locksmith store of 40 years. so look, bring your AS keys, spend the day with us in a red county (ventura), full 'o nice red necks like me, maybe head over to the Stray Steer for lunch, have the keys made, and perhaps the famous Cowboy Palace in chatsworth, for some evening fun. you will save nothing, but you will have keys, and well, a good story.

kevbo
Old 02-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #137
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
... you will save nothing, but you will have keys, and well, a good story.

kevbo
...and a 2,800 mile vacation.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 02-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #138
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
...and a 2,800 mile vacation.
Oh, yeah, better add in the trip home...make that a 5,600 mile vacation.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 02-02-2007, 12:39 AM   #139
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Oh, yeah, better add in the trip home...make that a 5,600 mile vacation.
Hi, I prefer going to a lock shop, better job, better quality keys, and they never say "we don't have that blank or can't cut that one." There must be a lock shop in Fayetteville, Georgia.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #140
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, I prefer going to a lock shop, better job, better quality keys, and they never say "we don't have that blank or can't cut that one." There must be a lock shop in Fayetteville, Georgia.
Fayetteville is a bedroom community in the Metro-Atlanta area. While we have all of the sophisticated stuff, we are lacking in the old fashioned things like lock smiths. I had a lock freeze up not too long ago and the nearest lock shop was in a neighboring bedroom community that is closer to Atlanta and is about a 20-25 minute drive so I went to Home Depot and bought a new Kwickset door knob and had it keyed to match the others. The key tech did the square cylinder in the machine thing. We also have a Lowes, but it would have been the same thing...special machine for certain brands of residential door locks only. The Ace Hardware is still in another bedroom community. I'll try them the next time I head over there, but the only time we go there is for dinner when all of the hardware type stores are closed.

I know I really need to make it a priority before we go camping again so we don't get locked out or some other thing happens like loosing the only key we have. But you know how it is with us Type B personalities, we procrastinate.

WBCCI# 4821