Old 09-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
I am also looking into bike racks of sorts. My biggest issue after watching the install video is drilling into the back of the coach. Breaching the skin of my AS makes MY skin crawl! I do kind of like msmcv51's thought. are there any other systems out there? Has anyone thought of installing a trailer hitch on the rear of the AS?

Thanks, Everyone!

Ron

Old 09-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Bike Rack

I am just getting my airstream in a few days and I have been thinking about how I will haul my bikes. I think I like the idea of a hitch on the back of the trailer. Rack can be removed if you need access to the door also you can take the bikes with the truck when the trailer is parked.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:29 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
So what's the downside to installing a hitch on the back of the AS, then use any one of the many bike carriers that are made for this? I know there's the weight penalty, but that may actually help lower the front tongue weight, which would be a good thing.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Research rear end separation. The body and frame could part ways

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
I do not get off the subject too far. For the last 10 years we have been using a bike rack that goes in a front of the truck receiver type hitch. The bikes do not block the lights, and we can drop the trailer and take the bikes with us if we want to.
I agree with msmsv. The front bike rack, properly installed and the correct rack to provide maximum visibility is the way to go. I have tried to send an attachment with pictures of mine, but for some reason the ability to do this is failing. Check out my pictures site for this info

>>ron<<
Old 09-23-2015, 01:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Make sure you research....emergency window blocked, fiamma rack failure. Suggest you read these threads:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+on+airstreams

https://instagram.com/silvereagle3100/
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americal View Post
I think I like the idea of a hitch on the back of the trailer. Rack can be removed if you need access to the door also you can take the bikes with the truck when the trailer is parked.
Aside from the rear-end separation issue— which I think is probably not as much of an issue as some respondents seem to think given the relatively light weight of a 1¼" receiver and bike rack to fit it (a 2" receiver is overkill for this application)— there is a more important issue of reducing your departure angle on your trailer. Your hitch receiver would have to be mounted underneath your rear bumper, reducing your already-low ground clearance. You would find that your hitch receiver and bike rack tend to scrape the pavement whenever you encounter a slope greater than your new reduced departure angle.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Protagonist, that is a good point. Hadn't thought about the hitch scraping the ground. I have seen pictures of people with the hitch on the back of their AS used to haul bikes. Maybe someone that has used the rear hitch to haul their bikes can comment on their experience.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:02 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Bike rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Aside from the rear-end separation issue— which I think is probably not as much of an issue as some respondents seem to think given the relatively light weight of a 1¼" receiver and bike rack to fit it (a 2" receiver is overkill for this application)— there is a more important issue of reducing your departure angle on your trailer. Your hitch receiver would have to be mounted underneath your rear bumper, reducing your already-low ground clearance. You would find that your hitch receiver and bike rack tend to scrape the pavement whenever you encounter a slope greater than your new reduced departure angle.
I saw an RV the other day that had metal rollers mounted on the bottom of their hitch receiver. I think that would solve any potential dragging problem. Theirs was mounted with U-bolts but the ones I have found on the internet would weld to the bottom of the hitch. My AS has channels that extend down from the frame below the bumper about 4", I suppose as a scrape to prevent damage to the bumper.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
This may have been mentioned before, but you can add a hitch to the front of many TV and mount the bikes on the front of the TV.