4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman54 View Post
I think I found a local dealer today that I can bring my axle into and get my new dexter axle from,he quoted me $475 for a new axle,brakes,leafs,complete,that is the best price I have gotten so far.

I am not sure if I need the new leafs yet the old ones look good?Now I need to find tanks ,then I can concentrate on fitting the new floor and sealing that with a marine type varnish.

Also the old axle had shocks on it ,does anyone know if these are original or necessary?

Is that price installed or just the parts? I'm curious what's a reasonable cost for a new axle, as I'd like to do the same next year.

muddy_hollow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:11 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
The floor plywood was always originally oriented from side to side on all Airstreams I have ever seen. You made the new floor orienting the peices front to back, which creates a large seam down the middle. I hope you plan to put a stip of plywood (same thickness as the floor, maybe 12" wide, 6" on each side of the seam) below this seam and screw (staggered) (and glue?) it to each half to restore strength as if is was a single piece of wood, side to side. If you don't do this it will put additional stress on the outriggers to hold up the shell when it is reinstalled.
Thanks Joe,
I did think about the seam down the middle,I figuered between the 10' length and some good reinforcements on joints that it would all tie together pretty well.
Doug

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:15 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow View Post
Is that price installed or just the parts? I'm curious what's a reasonable cost for a new axle, as I'd like to do the same next year.
This is the break down of my axle.

Axle is a Dexter.....#5200 straight 70" track 53" underslung...$189.00
Drum 12 x 2.....6 bolt.............................................. ............$159.30
Backing plate 12" L.H............................................... ..........$68.99
Backing plate 12" R.H............................................... ..........$68.99
U-Bolt kit............................................... ............................$14.00
Shackle Link...2.5"....5/8 hole.............................................. $9.00
Shackle Bolt....5/8"/ lock nut............................................... $29.34
Bushing............14-73 rednek............................................ ..$89.94
Grease and Pin............................................... ...................$5.00
Parts total............................................. .............................$633.56

Labor............................................. ....................................$75.00

Sale tax............................................... ..............................$38.01

Grand total............................................. ............................$746.57

Labor included: Install backing plate, clean and pack bearings, adj brakes
and weld on lower shock mounts, installed rubber bushings to leaf springs,

The shocks where bought at Amazon.com
2 Monroe 555002 Gas-Magnum R.......$18.39........................2 $36.78
(Per Monroe tech support)

Went with a local Dexter axle business was able to take the original axle in for very accurate measurements. Used existing leaf springs.

toastie
Old 11-02-2008, 06:25 AM   #60
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
I think I found a local dealer today that I can bring my axle into and get my new dexter axle from,he quoted me $475 for a new axle,brakes,leafs,complete,that is the best price I have gotten so far.

I am not sure if I need the new leafs yet the old ones look good?Now I need to find tanks ,then I can concentrate on fitting the new floor and sealing that with a marine type varnish.

Also the old axle had shocks on it ,does anyone know if these are original or necessary?
tinman54

You might want to consider using the existing leaf spring if they are in good shape, new leaf springs are 24" on center and would create a possible bending moment on the frame.

toastie
Old 11-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Thanks Joe,
I did think about the seam down the middle,I figuered between the 10' length and some good reinforcements on joints that it would all tie together pretty well.
Doug
Just had one more thought. If you don't reinforce the seam, you may get one side lifting over time relative to the other because of uneven weight or uneven support side to side. This ridge would be right down the middle of the aisle where you walk and it might be felt thru carpet but it would be visible thru a vinyl floor. And if you put down a hard wood floor, I'm not sure how it might manifest itself, if you go that way, although I wouldn't want to add the weight of a hard wood floor to an Airstream that old without reinforcing the frame. In my opinion you have no option but to secure a backing board below the seam for this reason alone, although I still support it from the structural strength perspective, too.

Good Luck!
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
Tinman 54
People like you give the rest of us hope and determination. Keep it up!
-Tim
Old 11-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
I didn't get any time on the cruiser today but I did get the U channel bent up for the base of the walls.

Do the front and back have the same curves,the back was completely gone? I think they are close.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:16 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Thanks tostie for the axle breakdown,I probably will wait till spring now for that and maybe by then they will even be a little cheaper with metal and fuel prices finally dropping.
Doug

Old 11-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Together again

Nice to have the Cruiser back together and by the garage.

Next:final adjustments to shell and cut back corners

Install u channels on bottom of wall

install elevator bolts to secure floor and shell

snow's coming
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream reshelled 001.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	70845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream reshelled 005.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	70846  

Old 11-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Since I now like everyone else reading this think of my Airstream all the time,I was wondering if people could share some pictures of there favorite parts of there Airstreams,tv's,led lights,stained glass,handy plumbing inside or out,lighted cabinates,wiring,???.

I am going to start wiring in the next month or so and I am trying to finalise plans.

This is the basic layout i'm looking at for our 26' cruiser.
Thanks Doug

Old 11-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #67
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Doug, If I were doing it over, I would not bother with a shower. There is almost always a shower at the campground we go to. I find it a novelty.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:59 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I don't know, Frank. Wally put a shower in my trailer, so I'm going to preserve it, and make it better when I retrofit.

So far, there have been showers in most campgrounds I've visited, but I have never once wanted to use them...

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:46 AM   #69
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Wally also put an oven in his trailers so he had a place to store his shoes. What exactly was your point there about Wally?

I have just found that the shower is always a design challenge for those starting off from scratch. Should it be in the corner? on the side? separate unit? wet bath? All those things and then it is rarely used. When you start to attend some rallies Marcus, you will see that 70% of the trailers you visit during open house use their showers as storage. My most common observation of the shower is that it is a good place to put the shoes while using the oven.

I was trying to simply state that FOR ME the shower is a luxury that is rarely used. FOR MEit is space that might have been used for something I use a lot more while camping. I could have used that area for an expanded bar instead of the tiny little shelf in the kitchen pantry. I could have a gigantic "fun cabinet" there that would hold twenty kites, gallon jugs of bubble juice, and 50 board games instead of the narrow cabinet above the gaucho that I can only have three kites and 10 board games in. FOR ME that space could be used for so many other things than the shower that we never use. If I was to shop the NASA surplus store, I might find those beds they use on the space shuttle that hang from hook and the astronauts sleep in a bag hung on the hook. Two people more would be able to sleep in the trailer that way. FOR ME I just could use that space different. For you Marcus, I think you should find another tub that fits the street side and have two showers. A his and hers separated by a vanity in the middle.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:35 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Wally also put an oven in his trailers so he had a place to store his shoes. What exactly was your point there about Wally?

I have just found that the shower is always a design challenge for those starting off from scratch. Should it be in the corner? on the side? separate unit? wet bath? All those things and then it is rarely used. When you start to attend some rallies Marcus, you will see that 70% of the trailers you visit during open house use their showers as storage. My most common observation of the shower is that it is a good place to put the shoes while using the oven.

I was trying to simply state that FOR ME the shower is a luxury that is rarely used. FOR MEit is space that might have been used for something I use a lot more while camping. I could have used that area for an expanded bar instead of the tiny little shelf in the kitchen pantry. I could have a gigantic "fun cabinet" there that would hold twenty kites, gallon jugs of bubble juice, and 50 board games instead of the narrow cabinet above the gaucho that I can only have three kites and 10 board games in. FOR ME that space could be used for so many other things than the shower that we never use. If I was to shop the NASA surplus store, I might find those beds they use on the space shuttle that hang from hook and the astronauts sleep in a bag hung on the hook. Two people more would be able to sleep in the trailer that way. FOR ME I just could use that space different. For you Marcus, I think you should find another tub that fits the street side and have two showers. A his and hers separated by a vanity in the middle.
Ha! Who knew hippies were so overly sensitive??

-Marcus

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1954 cruiser, 25'