Old 01-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #281
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I'd love to find a metal bender guy who could fabricate such a louvered door from aluminum!

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #282
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Vented frig access door

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
There is an aluminum fridge vent. I think Out of Doors has it. You will need to make the inner collar though. You just need a metal bender guy.
Thanks Frank, I checked out of doors and only found a stainless one, too pricey for me, I did find an old aluminum one at vintagecamper, that was $100 too but has the frame also. This metal bender guy will probably end up making one, have to save my money for fun stuff like cushions.

Any pointers on size? Otherwise I will go with what the frig specs out.

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #283
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Oops

Aarg, just cut the side of the wardrobe cabinet in reverse of what I wanted! Time to quit for the night I guess. Spent an hour at the lumberyard going through the stack of plywood to find the grain that I liked.

Got the first coat of finish on the cabinets from the weekend anyway.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:03 AM   #284
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
I love Nellie's home. Every time I see pics of your barn I start to dream. Its looking like you may be able to camp in Nellie this year? She sure is looking great. A few more days of this bitter cold and I may get to spend more time on Holly. Its getting hard to build decks in this weather.

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #285
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
I bought both the Collar and the Vent Cover from "Out of Doors". See photo attached (the Collar is almost not in the picture).

FYI: Since I like to make mistakes (always) along the way to my solutions, I purchased the very similar but not quite right Vent Cover from VTS and the Aluminum Collar from Out of Doors. And true to his form, Murphy made sure they wouldn't work together - the Cover is too small for the Collar. Actually what happened was I bought the VTS Cover because I liked the solution not exactly knowing how I would cut/deal w/the actual hole. Then I saw the Collar somewhere on this forum and thought, "perfect" . . . and discovered the problem after receiving the Collar. Not sure why VTS doesn't make their cover bigger - I'm sure there's a reason.

Good Luck.
MarkR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7160002.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	149203  

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #286
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
I bought both the Collar and the Vent Cover from "Out of Doors". See photo attached (the Collar is almost not in the picture).

FYI: Since I like to make mistakes (always) along the way to my solutions, I purchased the very similar but not quite right Vent Cover from VTS and the Aluminum Collar from Out of Doors. And true to his form, Murphy made sure they wouldn't work together - the Cover is too small for the Collar. Actually what happened was I bought the VTS Cover because I liked the solution not exactly knowing how I would cut/deal w/the actual hole. Then I saw the Collar somewhere on this forum and thought, "perfect" . . . and discovered the problem after receiving the Collar. Not sure why VTS doesn't make their cover bigger - I'm sure there's a reason.

Good Luck.
MarkR
Thanks Mark, I did look at those covers and thought I could make the collar. Does venting through the roof work better then a high side wall vent? I thought that the high side wall would be much easier to install.
Doug

Old 01-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #287
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I bought a similar cover from Andy at Inland when my ugly old plastic one broke. It's actually much more attractive than the original. The inner vent was still (mostly) intact, so I cleaned it up, repaired the broken bit, painted it silver to match the rest of the trailer, and then riveted on the cover over it.

Old:

Broken:

New:

Old 01-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #288
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post

Good Luck.
MarkR

The older airstreams had 24 inch vents while the newer ones are 28 inches. Here's a link on how RJ Dial made a 28 " one smaller...

Restoration Topics - Refer Vent Cover

maybe you could reverse it and add a piece of aluminum to make it larger? I'm probably going to have to make or cut down a 28 inch collar as my airstream had the smaller version (and no one makes those anymore!).
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #289
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
I'd love to find a metal bender guy who could fabricate such a louvered door from aluminum!
Ok, come on-- if I can make something half-hearted like this with no real metal experience until this trailer, then I'm pretty sure you can make a vent cover with REAL louvers cutout and formed.

We have faith in you!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #290
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
Ok, come on-- if I can make something half-hearted like this with no real metal experience until this trailer, then I'm pretty sure you can make a vent cover with REAL louvers cutout and formed.

We have faith in you!
Ha! Thanks, but I was thinking I'd just pay Frank's Trailer Works to get it done for me...
Old 01-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #291
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Ha! Thanks, but I was thinking I'd just pay Frank's Trailer Works to get it done for me...
I think you should challenge him to a race on completing it, but to make it fair, he has to do everything while wearing boxing gloves. If you win, he gives you the vent for free. If he still wins, then you pay for the vent, but we all become 1000x times more impressed than we already are with FTW.

Air it on the VAP and you've got advertising benefits too.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #292
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post

We have faith in you!
Peter, Your work looks good,thanks for the link. I do have an idea for making upper and lower louvers and think I will go that way. I don't see any advantage for going through the roof, just more work and I've already had a lot more of that then I planed on 3 yrs. ago
Tinman

Old 01-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #293
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Hay Doug Where is your sense of adventure? I was thinking Id just fix a couple of things on Holly when I started. I guess I got carried away with fixing

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #294
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
Hay Doug Where is your sense of adventure? I was thinking Id just fix a couple of things on Holly when I started. I guess I got carried away with fixing
I have been thinking that Nellie might never be done, which is ok as long as we can start working on her on the road.

Tags
1954 cruiser, 25'