Old 11-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Oh well yet more weeks go by and little progress. I finally got the shell to fit on the dry fit. I think I may belt sand a little off the corners so that it will not be an issue once the belly pan goes on.

I just ordered a 30" metal brake from Habor Freight to bend the C Channel. Which I hope to do this weekend.

{My Thoughts} I am starting to think making her a double axle was not the best idea. I like the concept but it has created a lot of extra work for myself. Finding space for the tiolet is going to be an issue in the wet bath. Since the toilet was in the location where the second axle now sits. I also made the wheel wells the same heigt as the originals. However, since I switched the axles to torflex the whole thing sits a lot higher. I think there is too much room in the well area. I could have used that room for the toilet on top of the well if I dropped the whole thing down 4"-5". I really dont want to redo the wheel wells but I am tempted.

The other area of concern is the door step. Should I keep it plywood and line it with diamond plate for strenth? I see I am going to need to do some metal work in that area.

nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #72
1950 Flying Cloud 7039
1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas

My trick for bending channel. I used a 1x2 as a spacer. I know all 1x2s are not created equal so you will have to verify against the old channel.

Bend one side just eye balling it. Rotate the channel, put the 1x2 as a spacer, clamp down, remove 1x2, bend the second side. It is not imperitive that the sides are the exactly same height. You will get it pretty close with the practice you will have.

Saves alot of time measureing. Even if you cannot find a 1x2 to match your channel, measure and make one channel, then cut a block for a spacer.

Also, for your curved pieces, bend one side, cut the V notches so that it will bend, then bend the second side of the channel.

I am not sure about your brake, but you should be able to adjust the clamp forward/back the pivot point so that you can adjust the radius of the bend. Too tight of a radius will casue the aluminum to break. Maybe not right away, but over time the fatigue will split it.

Good luck.

FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Thanks for the advice FC7039. Something as simple as the 1x2 spacer is great. I am not sure if I would have thought of that til the last 12" section.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #74
1 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Providenciales , BermudaTriangle
Originally Posted by nick6930 View Post
Plans???Was I suppose to plan something?....I have more dreams than plans.
Keep moving in the direction of your dreams and the rest will fall into place...

Polly ;-)

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau
La Gringa is offline   Reply With Quote

1953, cruiser