Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Cruiser > 1950 - 1958 Cruiser
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2005, 06:46 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
that looks simillar to the type of outlet that was used on the old rust bucket i served on a few years ago....i think it was a twist lock, this insured that the plug would not fall out when the ship rolled.
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 09:18 AM   #62
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
ankornuta -
You are going to town on the tear-out portion of your project. I hope I have the chance to see it before everything comes out.

I'll call you this morning.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 09:54 AM   #63
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
I have one of these outlets on the front of my trailer it brings in the 12 volts from the tow vehicle. They kept it on a separate plug from the rest of the wires. You should be able to take a volt/ohm meter and find out if these plugs are tied to the 12 volt system. These outlets were made by Hubble. they are 120volt outlet used on the 12 volt system. They are still available if you go to a good electric supply house. I have one on order to replace mine. You can go buy a three prong cord cap and modify it to work in the hubble outlet. Hope this helps.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:15 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Hmmm... it being a 12 volt outlet would make sense I guess, since my trailer has both a 12 volt and a 120 volt electrical system.

The thing that confuses me is something that you can't see in the picture I uploaded because I had to decrease the resolution to make it small enough. But the outlet says "10A, 250V. 15A, 125V". So... that's kind of weird if it's a 12 volt outlet.

I think I've seen an old hairdryer that had a plug that would fit that outlet once... :/
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 04:44 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I'm not so sure its twelve volt as is described - the 12v female plug I have is made for 3 prongs and as I understand it, no longer available.....

Yea the twelve volt plug I have says 120v too - best way to check is with a multimeter....

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:15 PM   #66
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankornuta
Hmmm... it being a 12 volt outlet would make sense I guess, since my trailer has both a 12 volt and a 120 volt electrical system.

The thing that confuses me is something that you can't see in the picture I uploaded because I had to decrease the resolution to make it small enough. But the outlet says "10A, 250V. 15A, 125V". So... that's kind of weird if it's a 12 volt outlet.

I think I've seen an old hairdryer that had a plug that would fit that outlet once... :/
My outlet has the same numbers on it. I think they used 120 volt outlets and plugs because they were cheap and easy to get a hold of. The outlet and plug don't care if you send 12 volts or 120 volts through it . Just helps to know what voltage you have going down the wires.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:04 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Hmmm... interesting. Thanks everyone, time to break out the multimeter.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:45 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Update

I ran out of room in my garage for the interior components of the Airstream, so now I'm focusing on refinishing the wood on the cabinets and then driving them over to a storage unit. The Dixie stove is going to a professional restorer here in Phoenix that I've heard good things about (though they're a little pricey) and the refrigerator is also going to the storage unit after I finish re-painting it and putting it all back together.

That should give me enough space to get the rest of the interior out (what remains of the galley and the bathroom) and start to get those pieces restored as well and then move them to the storage unit.

I figure once I replace the floor, tile, insulation, wiring, clean the frame and get the body and interior skin back on, then I'll pull all the furniture out of storage and put it back in the trailer and give it a nice coat of bees wax polish.

Oh, and I've made the decision to have the interior skin professionaly re-zolatoned. It's just dirty beyond repair, including a spot that kind of looks like fire damage or years of exhaust from an aftermarket propane refrigerator.

So.... that's where this project is at. Feels like I'm just getting started, but it's been almost a whole month already since I got the trailer home!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Preparing to Remove the Body

There really is no way to get to know your trailer better than to take it completely apart I'm finding all sorts of interesting things, and I'm happy that I've decided to go with a body-off restoration. I've discovered plenty of holes in the floor, so I'm glad that I'm replacing it. I also found a very large lead-filled pipe attached to the very end of the floor in the rear of the trailer. It says "Los Angeles Gyrotronic Stabilizer Mfg" on it. I'm assuming it's back there to help cantilever the weight of the vehicle and place more stress evenly across the whole body of the trailer, instead of entirely between the hitch and axles. It looks to be original.

So far I've removed the interior skins (lower only), detached the belly skins underneath, removed the old insulation, removed banana wrap moulding on the exterior, inspected the wiring, removed all the old plumbing, etc, etc. It's gone very fast so far, but I have broken a few drill bits in the process...

I'm going to detach the body next weekend. The next weekend after that I will lift the body, template the floor and clean/paint the frame and possibly put the new floor on (another three day weekend... yay!)

I still need to decide what I plan on doing with any improvements, like gray water tanks, black water, etc before I put the body back on. I also need to pick out some tile.

So far, so good. the most time-consuming task to date was removing the interior. I'm really looking forward to getting this thing back together!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2164.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	17413   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2166.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	17414  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2176.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	17415  
Old 01-31-2006, 11:53 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
So, for anyone who was following this thread, I moved the step-by-step frame off restoration posts to a new, more appropriate section of the forum, here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f4/1958-cruiser-two-door-frame-off-restoration-20215.html

Once the body is back on the trailer and I start putting everything back inside, I'll probably move the progress back to this thread.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #71

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Vestal , new york
Airstream

i was recently at my local RV dealership and i came across an airstream, naturaly i got excited but when i step closer i relized that it was gutted. cool i thought, so i looked inside and couldnt see anything and when i opened the door i was shocked. they had been using it for storing old useless and worthless tires. it had two doors and i had never seen that and thats when i found this post so i think it may be a 1958, and i have already emailed the dealership about buying the camper. i am waiting for a response but im excited... this would make a great project for me and my dad... just thought id let you all know.
thatguy4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #72

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Vestal , new york
i was recently at my local RV dealership and i came across an airstream, naturaly i got excited but when i step closer i relized that it was gutted. cool i thought, so i looked inside and couldnt see anything and when i opened the door i was shocked. they had been using it for storing old useless and worthless tires. it had two doors and i had never seen that and thats when i found this post so i think it may be a 1958, and i have already emailed the dealership about buying the camper. i am waiting for a response but im excited... this would make a great project for me and my dad... just thought id let you all know.
thatguy4466 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags