Old 12-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
BJH
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Springtown , Texas
Winterization of Argosy

I just bought a 74 Argosy that came down from Ohio where it was winterized for the cold Ohio winters. Well, I live in sunny SE texas and I am wondering if I need to leave it alone or can I drain the system and go ahead and start enjoying it now? I'm really anxious to take it out for a quick shakedown cruise and I hate to have to wait for Springtime to do it. Anybody down here in this part of the country have any thoughts on this?

Old 12-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Winterization of Argosy

Greetings BJH!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJH View Post
I just bought a 74 Argosy that came down from Ohio where it was winterized for the cold Ohio winters. Well, I live in sunny SE texas and I am wondering if I need to leave it alone or can I drain the system and go ahead and start enjoying it now? I'm really anxious to take it out for a quick shakedown cruise and I hate to have to wait for Springtime to do it. Anybody down here in this part of the country have any thoughts on this?
While I am not in your general region, I have followed a few general guidelines for use toward the end our travel season that might help you. I watch the weather forecast carefully for the expected low temperatures overnight . . . if it is going to be under freezing for more than five or six hours, I figure that I have two options . . . run the coach's furnace on low overnight to keep the water lines from freezing . . . or perform a quick witnerization by blowing the pipes out. Once mastered, the process of winterizing generally takes about one hour on either of my coaches. Once winter sets in and I don't anticipate any further use of the coach, I add RV antifreeze to blowing out the pipes winterization process.

If you rarely experience freezing temperatures, you may find that it is possible to get by with simply running your coach's furnace when/if forecast temperatures fall to freezing or below. It is also possible to utilize your coach without de-winterizing . . . you just loose the feature of running water. I traveled for a number of years with campers that didn't have bathrooms or pressure water systems so I revert to those practices if I want to use my camper during the winter.

Good luck with your Argosy!

Kevin

P.S.: Something to consider as the new owner of a first generation Vintage Argosy. Those clear Panoramic Windows in the front of the coach are quite costly to replace, and the new replacements are Solar Gray Tinted rather than clear. A three-piece Rock Guard is a good insurance policy against the loss of one of the clear deep-wrap wing windows (side Panoramic windows) -- it is the same rock guard assembly utilized on non-wiede-body Airstreams. The cost of the rock guard assembly represents the approximate cost of just one replacement deep-wrap wing window.

You are also likel you to be asked whether your coach has the more common front entry door (door ahead of axles) or the comparatively rare rear door floorplan (entry door behind the axles).

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
BJH
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Springtown , Texas
Thanks for the reply Kevin. I was thinking along those lines, just kinda curious if the folks down in this part of the country even bothered to winterize.

I have the standard front entry, and after doing a lot of reading about those windows[ one of the main reasons that I bought an Argosy], I plan to contact the Hornsby folks up in Canada and get them to make me a set of the foam-filled leather guards for my windows. I just can't afford another $1000 right now. Once again thanks for the help. Bill Hardin
Old 12-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Kevin. I was thinking along those lines, just kinda curious if the folks down in this part of the country even bothered to winterize.

I have the standard front entry, and after doing a lot of reading about those windows[ one of the main reasons that I bought an Argosy], I plan to contact the Hornsby folks up in Canada and get them to make me a set of the foam-filled leather guards for my windows. I just can't afford another $1000 right now. Once again thanks for the help. Bill Hardin

They'll probably be well under $1000 if you have them made with Sunbrella canvas instead of leather. I know mine were.

Welcome to Argosy ownership! There's going to be a vintage rally down close-ish to you October 4-6, in Gonzales, TX. I'll be bringing my '75 Argosy24.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
BJH
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Springtown , Texas
OK, Sunbrella it is. BTW, where did you get your fasteners? Also, do they mount on the outside of the window frame, did you have any issues installing them?

We are going to try to make it to the rally in Oct. That is a great time of year weatherwise. Looking forward to meeting you and all the other vintage trailer owners.

PS. Do the fabricators install the foam pads or is that left to the owner?
Old 12-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
OK, Sunbrella it is. BTW, where did you get your fasteners? Also, do they mount on the outside of the window frame, did you have any issues installing them?

We are going to try to make it to the rally in Oct. That is a great time of year weatherwise. Looking forward to meeting you and all the other vintage trailer owners.

PS. Do the fabricators install the foam pads or is that left to the owner?
The fasteners came with the covers when I bought them, I'm guessing they still do. I had them installed on the trailer by a company that was doing some other work for me. They did a good job and didn't mention any difficulty. 1.5 years later they're still working well. The high-density foam is sewn into the covers by Hornsby. Except for installing the Common Sense fasteners onto the trailer, the covers are ready to use right out of the box.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
Old 12-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
BJH
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Springtown , Texas
OK. Thanks for the help
Old 12-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
d'oh! The holidays have fried my brain apparently. I guess I'm excited about the vintage rally, since I was also telling you about it a couple of weeks ago.