Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Ferndale , Washington
Where should one put a stereo?

I am wondering if there are any recommendations for where to install a stereo in a 6 metre Minuet? I saw an original cabinet enclosure on e-bay that looks like it fit into one of the overheads. Where would factory speakers be located? I am not inclined to worry too much about originality but lean more towards practicality. Thoughts, suggestions and innermost feelings (as always) are appreciated.

Gerg
gergstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Does yours have an overhead compartment at the front, above your gaucho or dinette? I've seen pictures of Argosy trailers with this. My Tradewind has the original stereo located here with the speakers mounted on either side, lower on the interior skin. Another pair of speakers are located midships where the twin beds are.

This shows one of the front speakers just below the left side of the bulkhead. There is another on the opposite side.

You can just make out one of the second pair of speakers (at the twin beds) to the left of the window at the top of this picture.

So, in all there are four speakers. Two forward and two rear. All contolled by teh Motorolla 8-track player! I hope these are helpful in giving you some ideas.

Cheers!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
iPod compatibility might be a good idea...

We find the AS speakers and Sony system quite inferior to the Apple Hi-Fi with an iPod. There are literally dozens of iPod speaker accessories that would be well-suited to one or more locations in an Airstream. Take a look.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
A baffling question when you get right down to it. Ours are in the side walls at either end of the trailer. That gives stero at either end. You could put one speaker in each end, then you'd have stereo in the middle, which you could fade back and forth from the kitchen to the loo.

Remember an old definition of Hi Fi "All the highest notes, neither sharp nor flat. The human cannot hear as high as that, still it ought to please any passing bat!"

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Where should one put a stereo?

Greetings Greg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gergstuff
I am wondering if there are any recommendations for where to install a stereo in a 6 metre Minuet? I saw an original cabinet enclosure on e-bay that looks like it fit into one of the overheads. Where would factory speakers be located? I am not inclined to worry too much about originality but lean more towards practicality. Thoughts, suggestions and innermost feelings (as always) are appreciated.

Gerg
It is my understanding that the stereo was a dealer added accessory for the Minuets. The ones that I have seen are installed in the street-side, front-most locker above the side lounge. I always thought that the more logical location was in the locker above the refrigerator, but that locker has the refrigerator chimney that limits the available depth -- and the other locker on that side has the vent/fan/motor assembly for the range blocking most of the available space (it was in this cabinet that the optional command center was installed -- guages for holding tanks and electrical charge). The speakers were mounted in the ends of the side roof-lockers pointing forward. I haven't been able to obtain confirmation whether wiring is available for the radio/speakers -- or if it is necessary to run the wire for both. The lack of the front overhead locker in the Minuets certainly does limit the possible locations for a stereo -- each of which cuts into the meager locker/cabinet storage that is available.

Good luck with your stereo installation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
If installing a stereo is difficult, due to space limitations, I'd suggest a Specktone tabletop speaker system for an iPod. I have one and love it! I think the style suits an Airstream or Argosy very well. They come in black, green and white lacquer finishes.

SpeckTone Retro from Speck Products!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I have an iPod and a Dock thingy by JBL that I bought at Wal-mart last year. Not sure f they still have it. It sounds great! I even had a former radio engineer and muscian comment on how it filled the hangar (50X50) and sonded really good.
JBL On Stage II Docking Sound Station for iPod, White - Wal-Mart
JBL Home Audio

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:04 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Ferndale , Washington
Yes, I suppose an i-pod and docking station would be a suitable substitute for a good old fashioned stereo.

Somehow, I like the idea of having a built in unit. Some sort of enclosure at the front would be nice, maybe I can find one or build one.

Thank you for all of the input. I hate to take up too much space in storage cabinets as the room is needed for other stuff.

I will have to give the matter some serious thought, maybe if I sit on the side fold out gaucho for awhile something will hit me in terms of a revelation.

Thanks again,

Gerg
gergstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
My gaucho has a compartment in one of the arms, where one could easily house a car stereo. Is the Argosy equiped with something like this? Sorry, I know very little about the layout of Argosy trailers.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Our '79 Minuet has a radio/cassette mounted in the locker above the reefer with speakers in the walls just aft of the front windows. Looks factory installed. The radio is in a mount that is held in by the inevitable screws. finished in the everpopular woodtone stick on paper and aluminum. Antenna is mounted above the locker abaft the reefer vent cover. Doesn't sound as good as an iPod for a fact.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:04 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Our Sovereign has a small pull-open cabinet for the radio near one of the arms for the gaucho, then wired speakers, 2 in front and 2 in the bedroom.
The small cabinet is about arm level while sitting on the couch.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Don't forget a sub...makes a world of difference!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote