Old 03-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Eugene , Oregon
Wheel well cover

I think I have now identified all the rotted floor area that need repair. Each is a small isolated area that will be patched. I even removed the shower floor to check under and all looks good there. The one area that is still giving me some grief is the curbside wheel well (rear section of it). I removed all of the hold down screws to remove the cover, but it seems that on the front edge the screws are just under the refrigerator! I am reluctant to remove the unit but cannot see a way to get to the screws on the wheel cover without removing or lifting the refrigerator. Any suggestions that don't involve explosives?
Thanks
Bruce

Old 03-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Eugene , Oregon
OK; no suggestions; how about how to remove the refrigerator? I have all the screws out from the front frame and the screws on the hold down tab next to the door. There must be more since it still wont budge. Help!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #3

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebling View Post
OK; no suggestions; how about how to remove the refrigerator? I have all the screws out from the front frame and the screws on the hold down tab next to the door. There must be more since it still wont budge. Help!
Husband also was close to explosives when it came to removing the fridge. He found the last of the screws by opening the outside access door to the back of fridge and found more screws up by the side wall and back of fridge - touching the outside wall of the camper.
Hope this helps.
Jane
Old 03-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1966 17' Caravel
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Just a suggestion: Get used to finding screws where you least expect them in numbers you don't expect. Develop a keen eye for hidden fasteners. I don't think that there is a set way that the fridges were put in so you are kind of on your own in finding the hold down screws. As Janie Q says, there are screws in back as well as screws in the front. Look around in the area in back of the fridge because screws there really help stabilize the unit.

The fasteners that irritated me the most were the rivets placed where they couldn't be drilled out.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Eugene , Oregon
Whew!

Well, after completely removing the curbside cabinets and bed I finally exposed the wheel well. Then removing the outer cover I then had to remove the wheel well itself. So then after removing the wheels and outer wheel well trim I was at last able to remove the wheel well and expose the rotten floor around the back end of the well cutout. It was quite the job just to expose the area of floor rot. Now finally I will next cut out the three areas of rot that I have located in the trailer and begin putting things back together!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07646.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	181716   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07647.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	181717  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07648.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	181718  
Old 03-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #6

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebling View Post
Well, after completely removing the curbside cabinets and bed I finally exposed the wheel well. Then removing the outer cover I then had to remove the wheel well itself. So then after removing the wheels and outer wheel well trim I was at last able to remove the wheel well and expose the rotten floor around the back end of the well cutout. It was quite the job just to expose the area of floor rot. Now finally I will next cut out the three areas of rot that I have located in the trailer and begin putting things back together!
What about the fridge?
Jane
Old 03-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Eugene , Oregon
It was only a matter of three hidden screws on the aft side of the fridge. After that it slid right out. It just seemed that I had to keep removing cabinets one after another to be able to remove the wheel well. I am not sure if I am brave enough to inspect the wheel well on opposite side of the trailer!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Eugene , Oregon
So does anyone know the product I need to use to re-seal the wheel well back in place? It appears to be a heavy black tougher than heck sealant.
Thanks