Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #1

1974 Argosy 24
Elizabeth City , North Carolina
What's behind door number 3?

Hello All,
I just purchased a '74 24' Argosy ($300!) and I need a little info. The inside is complete and in great shape, the outside needs some paint, minor body work and a street-side curved window due to a, you guessed it, thrown rock from a TV tire.
Anyway, on the street side, near the water hookup is a locking access panel. I can't get the lock to open.
#1 What's behind this door?
#2 Any advice on getting it open without breaking my door?

Links to the pics of it's current state of repair:
Picasa Web Albums - Gray - Argosy

Thanks for your time,
R/T
PuddlePyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Ligonier , Pennsylvania
Way to go. On my 24' it is the battery compartment. No clue on the lock. Last resort, drill out the lock.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddlePyrate View Post
Hello All,
I just purchased a '74 24' Argosy ($300!) and I need a little info. The inside is complete and in great shape, the outside needs some paint, minor body work and a street-side curved window due to a, you guessed it, thrown rock from a TV tire.
Anyway, on the street side, near the water hookup is a locking access panel. I can't get the lock to open.
#1 What's behind this door?
#2 Any advice on getting it open without breaking my door?

Links to the pics of it's current state of repair:
Picasa Web Albums - Gray - Argosy

Thanks for your time,
R/T
What's behind door # 3? Hopefully not door # 4.

Look at the compartment keys for a number. That key number should open all the locks, except the entrance door. That key is still available.

Hopefully, the previous owner did not change to a different lock. If so, somehow that door will have to be opened, so that you can change the lock out back to the original, or to get some keys made for it.

That door may simply be an access door for underneath a bed.

Which "exact" window do you need? Is it next to the front opening window? If so, that window is expensive and is available in solar gray only. If your handy, you can replace it. Takes about 3 hours to properly do so.

Since it may be a "wrap window", replacing it with plastic is not a good idea, since a gust of wind can make it blow out, when traveling. Also to remove that frame, is not a problem. Taking that frame apart, without causing damage to it, is rare. Trying to reassemble it, because of the corroded steel brackets that you cannot see, is even tougher. Additionally, the gray gasket, is not available.

Check all your window, access door and entrance door gaskets. If they have not been replaced, they will all be bad, along with the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, which only last about 5 years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #4

1974 Argosy 24
I thought that might be it, the size looks right!
Thanks and I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions!
Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #5

1974 Argosy 24
Thanks Andy. It's the curved window on the drivers side, the one that's hard to find and not made in clear anymore. I'll be doing some work on the outside over the next couple of months and in the process decide which route I want to go. It may lose the curved windows altogether...
Old 08-30-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy. It's the curved window on the drivers side, the one that's hard to find and not made in clear anymore. I'll be doing some work on the outside over the next couple of months and in the process decide which route I want to go. It may lose the curved windows altogether...
That would be the roadside "wrap window".

Clear replacements have not been available for probably 15 years of more.

We always have in stock, the solar gray wrap windows.

They are not hard to find usually, but the money to buy one could be hard to find, as they cost over $700.00, plus shipping. Plus the rivets and Vulkem sealer.

You can, if you wish, get a piece of "LEXAN."

You can fasten the lexan, with sheet metal screws to the wrap window frame, with a bead of Vulkem between the two. In that way you do not have to remove the frame, or worry about a gasket.

If you cut it right, it would look good.

DO NOT use plexiglass, as it will shatter very easily and probably would when you fastened the screws down on it.

Andy
Old 08-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
If it is the lock that is giving you issues they are pretty easily picked. I think they only have 3 or 4 tumblers.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
by the way congrats and welcome.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #9

1974 Argosy 24
I drilled the lock a little while ago, sure enough, the battery tray was there. I've done a more thorough check of the trailer now. I hooked up my generator and all the outlets, lights and the 12 system works as does the electric part of the fridge.
I found that somewhere on the way home the cover for the stove vent outlet (on the roof) flew off. Any good leads for a place to find one? I'd like to keep it a camper instead of a swimming pool if I can!

Thanks for the welcome and thanks Andy for the lexan thoughts. I was going to ask if it would work. I build mud running and rock crawling Suzuki trucks (Samurai's and Trackers) and we use LEXAN windshields in them but ours are flat and built to pop out instead of shatter.

Any common electrical issues I should look for? I'm a 15 year Electronics Tech in the Coast Guard so I knew to check for shorts, etc, but if there's a common fault I'll be sure I check it out.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I found that somewhere on the way home the cover for the stove vent outlet (on the roof) flew off. Any good leads for a place to find one? I'd like to keep it a camper instead of a swimming pool if I can!

Thanks for the welcome and thanks Andy for the lexan thoughts. I was going to ask if it would work. I build mud running and rock crawling Suzuki trucks (Samurai's and Trackers) and we use LEXAN windshields in them but ours are flat and built to pop out instead of shatter.

Any common electrical issues I should look for? I'm a 15 year Electronics Tech in the Coast Guard so I knew to check for shorts, etc, but if there's a common fault I'll be sure I check it out.
We have the covers along with over 3300 different Airstream parts in stock.

Check all the exterior gaskets, including the sewer vent pipe covers.

Andy
Old 08-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Congratulations on the bargain. You'll have quite a nice trailer when all is done. There is an RV salvage yard in N. Fl that might have a window for your trailer. If not, there is another in AL that has lots of parts from vintage Airstreams and Argosies. I can't remember the names of either but I'm sure someone will chime in with their names. They are pretty well known on these forums.

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your restoration/renovation.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:26 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
orange Park , Florida
I would also like to know the names if anyone knows them. I have a 69 in need of parts, thanks.
69AmbassFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I too wouldn't mind the names, just make sure to tell me first so 69ambassfl doesn't buy the parts I need first....
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
I too wouldn't mind the names, just make sure to tell me first so 69ambassfl doesn't buy the parts I need first....
Quote:
:26 PM #12
69AmbassFl
2 Rivet Member
Profile: 1969 29' Ambassador
orange Park , Florida

I would also like to know the names if anyone knows them. I have a 69 in need of parts, thanks.

Why not list the parts you both need. Perhaps others have them and would respond.

Andy
Old 08-31-2008, 06:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Andy, just holding out for a real clear glass street side wing window for our 69. Also looking for the stand alone oven, an original radio antenna for the 66 and if I get lucky that lock you had a picture of.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Andy, just holding out for a real clear glass street side wing window for our 69. Also looking for the stand alone oven, an original radio antenna for the 66 and if I get lucky that lock you had a picture of.
Scott.

All 69 windows were clear.

Radio Shack had the original radio antenna.

Andy
Old 08-31-2008, 08:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
thanks Andy, I didn't find anything close when I checked our local radio shack, I'll do some looking on their website. I just meant on the window I'm hoping to hold out for real glass instead of the lexan.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lynchburg , Tennessee
WELCOME!! Mine had no keys and the locks didn't match. I ground the rivets off the hinges and got them open that way. Re-riveted the hinges and replaced the locks.
driverjohnlh is offline   Reply With Quote