Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
What were they thinkin?

I like my Argosy 24. One of the things I like best is that it seems to weigh about 4,000lbs before my wife adds her touch. The storage space is amazing. Every nook and cranny is available. Having first looked at the new models I am aware that they are much different. Anyone have an idea of why the new models seem to weigh a lot more and seem to have less usable storage space. I'f my observations are correct, when did this happen?

probably a newbie question that has been covered before

regards

mike
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The Argosy line was specifically built to weigh less. New coaches today have heavier interiors, bigger fridges, microwaves, stereos, dual batteries, larger A/C units, larger tanks and overall 25' and larger are wider, meaning more real estate, more weight.

I read a rumor somewhere, maybe here that Airstream is thinking of dusting off the Arogsy nameplate once again with similar things in mind that it once had....who knows if it will appear, but with the iron still hot, and they really sticking to the trailer lines, I suppose anything is possible. Most of the FB units today from what I can tell were offspring of the old FB Argosy trailers....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:54 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Silver.... so genuine AS of the same vintage (1976) weighed more?
m
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:47 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Comparable Airstreams of like years weighed more than Argosies for several reasons.
First, an Argosy was 1 foot shorter than an Airstream, so that shaved weight off right there.
Second, Argosies had fewer windows than comparable Airstreams, and glass is heavier than aluminum.
Third, the plywood floor was slightly thinner in Argosies, so that helped the weight loss as well.
Argosies had fewer gadgets, slightly smaller appliances, smaller holding tanks, and in most cases, fewer interior furnishings, and fewer (and smaller) awnings.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I read a rumor somewhere, maybe here that Airstream is thinking of dusting off the Arogsy nameplate once again with similar things in mind that it once had....who knows if it will appear, but with the iron still hot, and they really sticking to the trailer lines, I suppose anything is possible.
I was told by my dealer when I purchased my Airstream in May that this was a couple of years away. I posted it hear several months ago. You may have read that post or you may have heard it elsewhere. The dealer I spoke with said Airstream is trying to find a product that will appeal to younger buyers with families to expand their market and that was the original intent with the Argosy.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote