Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Stone Mountain , Georgia
What type awning do you have?

We need to get an awning before we head to the International Rally. We were thinking to go with ZipDee, but from what I hear, for a smaller camper it doesn't make sense. We have a 22' and I think the rail measured 12'.

We are now looking at the Carefree awnings. Any thoughts, comments?

Thanks.
Beth

Towed by 2016 Ford F-150
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
KAYAKAMPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Kayakampers,

This seems to be a big topic tonight. I personally like the look of the Zipdee.. I think it speaks airstream. Not sure what another brand would look like on your Argosy.

Good luck

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
My current safari has Zip Dee, I used to have an older one that had the Carefree (I bought it used, but I think that was the brand).
I actually like the Carefree better for two reasons.
First, the arms were more substantial. Second, the upper arms had a more gradual curve that followed the shape of the trailer more closely.
Both seem like good products.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What type awning do you have?

Greetings KAYAKAMPERS!

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, the only awning that can be purchased new with the correct arms for vintage Airstream products is the ZipDee. I have had both an A & E Travel Awn (installed by the original owner of my '64 Overlander) and my current ZipDee that replaced the A & E. The ZipDee is so much easier to operate and doesnt trap humidity like the A & E with its vinyl fabric. The ZipDee fabric breathes and generally makes for a more pleasant living atmosphere.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We took ours off for the reason of the wind was too much of an enemy around this area of the country.(OKLAHOMA) But with a little research we found that some owners have been known to use just the 'C' channel that runs down the length of the AS that a certain sized welp cord fits into. So we saved the welp cord after removal of the un-identified awning structure (could not find a name brand anywhere on the thing)...and later are going to have another one made that SLIDES IN when ready to use. However there will be other issues about how to afix it once unfurled. But so far it's beats all the extra weight and I can get to more areas to polish. If we get super rich one day though I myself would also go with Zip-Dee...they ARE more Airstream-ish.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:47 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, the only awning that can be purchased new with the correct arms for vintage Airstream products is the ZipDee.
When I worked for Polishing Guru, we were A&E dealers, and the curved arms were in the A&E/Dometic catalog, marked "available".

We had an A&E on our Argosy 20, and it looked and worked good. That was only a 10 foot awning...
Old 05-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
We put an A&E on our 61 and have been have been happy with it for 7 years.(14 ft awning)
We have a carefree on our 70 Globetrotter.It needs some re stitching, but it was on their when I bought the trailer in 82.
A call to the A&E factory will get you help with arms. They have a wide variety of arms so something should work.
The one time I priced a Zip Dee it cost more than i had paid for that particular trailer.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
We have a rope and pole awning that we had custom made at a local tent company. Sunbrella fabric, matches the trailer and works great! Cost about half of what a ready-made would have.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #9
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I have had both the Zee Dee and an A&E and like them both for different reasons.

Zee Dee - heavier fabric (wind does not effect it as much), looks more "Airstreamish", don't like the knobs (don't know what they are called) that hold the arms in place or the way to pull it up

A&E - lighter fabric so is easier to put up, a lot of Airstreams have the A&E and they do look good, like the handles that pull the awning up.

I had to choose between the two several years ago and chose the A&E. Dometic does make the curved arms so that was not a problem. The A&E was also about $500 less. And because I travel alone at times, the A&E was easier for me to handle.

Both are well made and you can't go wrong either way.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Still considering, but ready to get something ordered!

I was originally talking with ZipDee about their awning, but it is really pricey (even $300 shipping - YIKES!!!). I called a local RV dealer that used to be an Airstream dealer and the woman in their parts department knows EVERYTHING about Airstreams, so she's a good source. She thinks ZipDee is not flexible enough with pricing on the smaller awnings, and since we have a 22' she thought it would be too expensive. Both A&E/Dometic and Carefree have the awnings that would fit our 1978 Argosy. I looked at Dometic's website and don't see a good choice on fabrics for awnings. With either Dometic or Carefree, we would probably go with acrylic fabric instead of vinyl, but...... the cost on the vinyl sounds a lot better and you can get the alumiguard with it.
I like Isadora's idea of the fabric and pole type awning, BUT I really want to be able to open up an awning quickly if we needed and you can't do that with the fabric and pole awnings, plus then you've got to store it inside also.
I'm enjoying hearing what ya'll are doing.
PLUS I am totally psyched about this Dutchstream in the fall and the Falluminium too.
We hope to see some of you there.
Thanks. Beth & Chris

Towed by 2016 Ford F-150
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
KAYAKAMPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Splurge and go for the woven acrylic. It is much more elegant looking and will enhance the look of your rig.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Splurge and go for the woven acrylic. It is much more elegant looking and will enhance the look of your rig.

Pat
Zip Dee uses "Sunbrella" fabric. It's tough as nails. A short life for a Zip Dee, is about 20 years or more.

Other brands of awnings typicall use vinyl impregnated cloths. They typically have a life span of 5 years, as the awning material shrinks and becomes brittle.

Carefree, many many years ago, was owned by a fellow that really cared about his customers. Unfortunately, that died when he sold the company.

Today, if you order a Carefree, and you find out that it doesn't fit even reasonably well, it's just too bad, you own it. They will refuse to help solving the issue. Same if there is any other problem with it. They consider any and all problems to be the fault of the owner!!!! We had battles with them several years ago, because of arms not fitting correctly, or even close. Their answer???? We didn't know how to install awnings, AND, get this, AIRSTREAM PUTS THE AWNING RAILS IN THE WRONG PLACE.

Hello!!!!! Airstream has not changed to location of the awning rail in over 45 years.

Their awning is really not that bad, for a cheap awning, but the fit is terrible.

PLUS, their management is unquestionably, top notch GESTAPO.

Andy

What a nice way to not run a business.
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I have an A&E on my Safari, it seems like a pretty good awning so far. I had a Carefree on my SOB and it was (and still is as I have not sold the trailer yet) a fine awning that has held up very well over the 7 years I have used it. I think it has many years of use left. I have never had to deal with them for service so Andy may well be on target about dealing with the company for all I know.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
My choice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYAKAMPERS View Post
We need to get an awning before we head to the International Rally. We were thinking to go with ZipDee, but from what I hear, for a smaller camper it doesn't make sense. We have a 22' and I think the rail measured 12'.

We are now looking at the Carefree awnings. Any thoughts, comments?

Thanks.
Beth
I have seen many other brands... and I have had 3 ZipDee awnings so far. On my way from Québec to Louisiana last fall, I stopped in Chicago to have a ZipDee awning installed on my little Minuet 6.0. It is small... and pricy but I like it. I would not have another other type installed on an Airstream or an Argosy trailer. My opinion...
adore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Zip Dee

I just finished restoring a 1965 22' Safari and put a 12' Zip Dee Patio awning, a 12' Zip Dee curb side window awning and a Zip Dee rear window awning. I installed them myself about two weeks ago and they are just great......Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #16
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
When I referred to "woven acrylic" I thought I was describing the Sunbrella fabric used by ZipDee. At any rate, pass on the vinyl shower curtain stuff. You have an Airstream, after all.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
My 22 has a Carefree 12 foot and it's solid as a rock, although I would have liked to have a rachet springhead like the new ones so it stops where you pull it out to. I've had sunbrella for many many years on my boats, camper canvas and 13 foot spans and it does hold up well but in a hard rail mists like it's raining inside even when new, a tradeoff for looks and reliable flexibility.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
I just noticed a Carefree awning assembly in the classifieds. You may be able to cut the tube to 12 foot easily, check before you buy and get a new canvas or vinyl for it. I got a vinyl awning for $180 plus $40 shipping for mine from Carefree.

Good Luck
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Do it right ....Zip-Dee work great and last forever.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #20
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
carefree

I purchased my 71 safari about 5 yrs ago with a carefree awning on it and its served us well and looks just fine both rolled in and out....jim from mich
jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote