Old 08-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
L.A. , Lower Arkansas
What kind of Paint???

We are considering buying an Argosy since our last TT got hurricane totalled. One tiny tree limb did it. Fiberglass sandwich and rubber roof? NEVER, NEVER AGAIN!

Our main question on the Argosy is what specific kind of paint you recommend and where it is available?
Exterior primer?
Exterior color coat?
Do we need a clear coat of some kind to top it off?

resurgam3191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Get automotive paint at any auto paint store. If you don't know of one, stop into any autobody shop and they can direct you to their paint supplier. It must be sprayed with a good spray gun . It takes some practice, if you have never spray painted anything.

ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Argosy paint

Check out Boatdoc's postings on using high quality marine paint for the Argosy exterior, with very detailed instructions (NO SPRAYING REQUIRED). We are following his technique- The tentative results using Shurline paint pads and Easypoxy topside paint are nothing short of spectacular, in my opinion. My husband Joe is VERY happy with the paint and the results too. We will post a thread with photos as the project is completed- he is on the second roof coat and the first coat on upper vertical panels- still sanding and prepping as he goes.

We are using exterior grade paint for our interior walls; three of the four walls were made from scratch due to damage from PO, and I am very timidly using that same paint to paint over the original vinyl-like wall paper on the only original wall left. I bought a primer that is good with vinyl surfaces and will see how it comes out.

Good Luck!
whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Boatdoc's details can be found here:

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
I am about to use Endura primer. Add a .com to endura for their site and dealer list. I will post the results. I just used an Endura top coat product, high gloss on my truck topper/canopy with spectacular results. I only did it to practice and perfect a technique. My technique leaves a little to be desired but the quality of the paint is impressive. I already bought a top coat two part epoxy from my local paint store but I think I will find a use for it somewhere else and use endura for the Argosy.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote

argosy, exterior restoration, interior finish, paint