Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

What did we do!?

The snow here in Seattle finally started to melt today allowing us to get outside for a bit. Hubby went out to the trailer to take a look at the trailer and start pulling stuff out. What we have is a '76 24ft. Argosy. So, first thing to go was the laminate wood flooring. discovered lie #1...that the PO only used one layer of padding under the laminate instead of the two like he told us when he replied to my question of why the floor was so squishy. Then we took out the sink base, stove and upper cabinets. What we discovered...rotten floor, the whole thing. The ceiling is leaking down into the interior skins. Here's where we stand...the entire trailer is going to be gutted and replaced (hopefully not the bathroom sink surround or the shower and toilet. Also hoping to salvage the tanks. I'm so very discouraged on one hand. Wondering what the heck did we get ourselves into. Im not worried about the kind of work, hubby is talented. I'm not even worried about how long it might take. I'm wondering why anyone would want to completely gut a trailer just to replace most everything with new? Why don't you just buy a nicer, newer trailer? But then, something in me says that this trailer has character. It has history (not PO history) and community. This trailer is more than just a trailer. Its the prospect of making memories for my 3 boys. Meeting new people and going new places.

When we are done with the interior, it will be healthy (major mold now), safe and comfortable. Our plan is to deal with the exterior dents and paint in the next few years. I took several photos today and will post them tomorrow. Thanks for listening (reading). I know we are in good company with all of you and actually feel comfort in the fact that if we can't figure it out, some of you might be able to shed some light
terrytrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:46 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Well, sorry you had a lying PO, but that seems to be a "luck of the draw" thing. I hope you didn't spend extra based on the PO's falsehoods, but it seems like buying a used one is like playing Russian Roulette.

I'll just say, while you have the cabinets out, put in a new furnace.

It's worth it. At least most of us think so, but we're all a bit crazy.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Welcome to the Airforums. You will find many threads from people who have been through hat you will need to do to your Argosy. There is also an active WBCCI unit in your corner of the country with knowledgable people who can help.

I sounds like a large project, but you will have a terrific trailer when you are finished.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
I agree with you that the argosy's have character. And we also thought about why buy a 34 year old trailer, when we purchased ours. But every time I walk out side and see it, I say to myself "self - thats one cool trailer". So have fun with the remodel and enjoy your trailer.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A new Airstream trailer can cost upwards of $80K, and most people would not want to spend that in order to customize it the way they want. So, they buy an older one, and tear into it.
As for the floor rot issue, there are people that are just into this to make a quick buck or ten, and others that have no clue how to properly refurbish a travel trailer.
The good part is, when you're done with this one, you'll know how to do it and you'll also know it was done right.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Rest assured that you didn't do anything that lots of other vintage buyers don't encounter themselves. Heck, some buyers of used newer models find bad floors too.

These Argosys do have a certain character. We've been thinking of a newer 23 footer Airstream, but there is something different and friendly about the Argosy.

Tom
Old 01-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Benefits of a redo

I really feel your pain. We bought an Argosy with high hopes of immediate camping and ended up tearing out the walls that a PO butchered, and then it just grew and grew...The paint on the end caps completely lifted off to the bare steel last winter, necessitating an exterior paint job. Joe and I have all the requisite skills to do a nice renovation of our 1978 24' Argosy. But time is an issue because we work full time. By the time we are finished, we will probably spend more $$ than if we bought another trailer in good condition. So we ask ourselves the same question all the time, but even this morning, as we discussed our project, we have our answer: We will have the trailer just the way we want it. That includes: the wiring for our ham radio operation, the installation of flat screen tv exactly where we want it, and STORAGE!!

We are incorporating special features for storage, since we feel Airstreams really fall short in this department. We are also building the configuration we want-- two twins and dinette. The beds and dinette seats lift-up for storage underneath. We are building a horizontal storage locker over top of the fresh water tank, below the vista view windows, and the dinette will be re-configured slightly- extended up to the kitchen counter to make it longer on that side, to offset the loss of space from the new storage locker. We enlarged the battery compartment to accommodate two batteries also. As Frank Sinatra and my husband crooned: "I did it MY WAY..."

I finally had to admit, amidst the frustration last year of tearing out and rebuilding the walls- that this is something my husband and I do together- we enjoy the process and enjoy the end results, something we can share and create. Good luck!

Kathy
whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Once you're done, you're going to so love that it's your trailer from tip to top! If I had the kind of skills your husband has, I'd have totally gone that route. Who knows, maybe I'll I'll learn enough to actually have some skills, catch a much worse case of aluminitus, and that'll be the next one. Post lots of pics, please!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I agree with all the above. You'll still come in way cheaper than new, and you'll know what is inside the walls, floor etc and can really make it work how you want it to be. Lots of folks on here have worked on that era trailer and can be lots of help. Post some pictures and people can chime in on the best way to address issues. Good luck!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My trailer was certainly more work and more expensive than I had estimated when I bought it. I paid for a shell and everything else was questionable due to age and deferred maintenance. I could have bought a new white box trailer for about the same $ I have in my trailer right now. I still have at least $3,000 more to spend, plus all the work to strip and polish the exterior.

Airstreams are very restorable and when repairs are done correctly they will almost begin their service life all over again. I'm a mechanic and cabinetmaker and I kinda like a project. I'm rebuilding all of the interior of the trailer except the shower box. I have most of it done.

Now I need window coverings, some light fixtures, a nice television, and probably, a dish. This will be my third summer working on this trailer.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Welcome to Airforums and to the club of people renovating old trailers! Even though the surprise of your unexpected change of plan must have been fairly unpleasant, the road ahead isn't necessarily bleak, by any means.

We bought vintage on purpose. First of all, it's far cheaper than buying new. But we also have control of quality, materials and design of every part of the trailer interior.

Working on it hasn't kept us from camping in it. Last year, we slept 50 nights in the Tin Pickle, and made lots of changes in between trips. It will be a work in progress for years to come. We learn something on nearly every trip that guides what we work on next. And on each trip so far we've had a new feature to enjoy in addition to the pleasures of our location. We find that the work brings its own satisfaction as well.

Our blog below covers some of what we've done and where we've gone while in progress.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

I appreciate you all so much! You understand exactly what it is that I'm saying and your encouraging! Well, I'll tell you that we spent just under $3k for it. Its axels are great and it has 4 new tires and new brakes. So that I'm thankful for. We will be installing a new water heater, and for the furnace we are thinking of going the route of an AC/heat pump and then getting a safe space heater. Doing this, we figure it will save a little money, but more so it will save precious space under the sink where the HUGE furnace was. Any thoughts? We will also be installing a new range, sink, cabinets, counters and turning the center twins into center bunks. The front goucho will be converted into a larger dinette that can be an extra bed. Hubby says that he's going to use pex throughout. I really like being out there with him and helping where I can...and trying to bite my tongue sometimes
Where should I post our pics? Just in our gallery or on a thread? -April :-)
Old 01-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
In the thread is fine. Look forward to watching your progress!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Bolinas , California
I'm over here in Port Townsend across the Sound from you trying to stay dry and rebuild the '63 Globetrotter we bought in September. I have it stripped to the frame and the outer skin. I'm planning on building a temporary shed over it all to be used for the next year or so while I work. we will be traveling the same road to repair over the foreseeable time. Enjoy the process, Getting there is half the fun.
geoff evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Welcome. It truly becomes a labor of love/hate so to speak. I've seen it done two ways. Total rehab start to finish before trying to go out and camp or the way i did it which takes far longer was to rehab in sections and try to use the trailer during camping season. Our 76 did not look so great for many years. We were always the ugliest trailer at a rally. But we kept at it and i dare say the old girl looks pretty good these days. Don't be fooled though, the restoration/tinkering never really ends. It just becomes a hobby. Good Luck, George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010907.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	149551  
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Washinton Land Yacht Harbor

You aren't too far from the Airstream only RV park near Lacey, WA....there are several folks that live there who are restoring their Airstreams and Argosys.....it is worth a visit and you can't beat the price.....last summer it was $17 a night.....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel View Post
Our 76 did not look so great for many years. We were always the ugliest trailer at a rally. But we kept at it and i dare say the old girl looks pretty good these days.
Sure does George! What color is that on your Argosy? Looks good - we need to think about getting the Minuet painted at some point...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Thanks Tom, The paint is PPG Delfleet Evolution. The color is called Panacotta. The color comes from a Holden automobile, a GM subsidiary. Sounds fancy, but I really just picked the color out of a color palat at the body shop. It's a cool color, in the shade it's a metalic light grey/silver but in the sun it flops to a gold tone. The picture doesn't show our new rock guards, I added them this year. Poor trailer is up on blocks, waiting out winter in the driveway. I would so love to have a barn or Morton building to store it in. I go out and drink a beer in the old girl once in a while. Don't want her getting lonely you know. G
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

George, its beautiful! I love it!
Our goal is to get the interior completed by June...well, the middle/end of. Our summers are late and short up here, and we would like to use it this year. Hubby this week got almost everything out of it. Next is floors and skin and then the re-building can start. Speaking of skins, Burke and I are wondering what the skins are made of? Just vinyl? Its definately not vinyl covered or painted aluminum. He said both sides of the skins look the same. Will post pics once I can get them all resized (I'm technically challenged) haha -April
Old 01-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #20

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamrabnw View Post
George, its beautiful! I love it!
Our goal is to get the interior completed by June...well, the middle/end of. Our summers are late and short up here, and we would like to use it this year. Hubby this week got almost everything out of it. Next is floors and skin and then the re-building can start. Speaking of skins, Burke and I are wondering what the skins are made of? Just vinyl? Its definately not vinyl covered or painted aluminum. He said both sides of the skins look the same. Will post pics once I can get them all resized (I'm technically challenged) haha -April
As far as I know, the interior skins of Argosies are all vinyl-coated aluminum. I haven't had them out to see if there's any coating on the back side, though. Now, the interior end caps are all plastic, so both sides would look roughly the same.

re: photos: If you put your photos somewhere like Photobucket, you can just put a link to the photo in your postings then a) you won't fill up your AIRForums quota and b) you don't have to resize.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote