Old 01-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Welcome. It truly becomes a labor of love/hate so to speak. I've seen it done two ways. Total rehab start to finish before trying to go out and camp or the way i did it which takes far longer was to rehab in sections and try to use the trailer during camping season. Our 76 did not look so great for many years. We were always the ugliest trailer at a rally. But we kept at it and i dare say the old girl looks pretty good these days. Don't be fooled though, the restoration/tinkering never really ends. It just becomes a hobby. Good Luck, George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010907.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	149551  

Old 01-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Washinton Land Yacht Harbor

You aren't too far from the Airstream only RV park near Lacey, WA....there are several folks that live there who are restoring their Airstreams and Argosys.....it is worth a visit and you can't beat the price.....last summer it was $17 a night.....paula

WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel View Post
Our 76 did not look so great for many years. We were always the ugliest trailer at a rally. But we kept at it and i dare say the old girl looks pretty good these days.
Sure does George! What color is that on your Argosy? Looks good - we need to think about getting the Minuet painted at some point...

Tom
Old 01-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Thanks Tom, The paint is PPG Delfleet Evolution. The color is called Panacotta. The color comes from a Holden automobile, a GM subsidiary. Sounds fancy, but I really just picked the color out of a color palat at the body shop. It's a cool color, in the shade it's a metalic light grey/silver but in the sun it flops to a gold tone. The picture doesn't show our new rock guards, I added them this year. Poor trailer is up on blocks, waiting out winter in the driveway. I would so love to have a barn or Morton building to store it in. I go out and drink a beer in the old girl once in a while. Don't want her getting lonely you know. G
Old 01-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
monroe , Washington
George, its beautiful! I love it!
Our goal is to get the interior completed by June...well, the middle/end of. Our summers are late and short up here, and we would like to use it this year. Hubby this week got almost everything out of it. Next is floors and skin and then the re-building can start. Speaking of skins, Burke and I are wondering what the skins are made of? Just vinyl? Its definately not vinyl covered or painted aluminum. He said both sides of the skins look the same. Will post pics once I can get them all resized (I'm technically challenged) haha -April
Old 01-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #20

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamrabnw View Post
George, its beautiful! I love it!
Our goal is to get the interior completed by June...well, the middle/end of. Our summers are late and short up here, and we would like to use it this year. Hubby this week got almost everything out of it. Next is floors and skin and then the re-building can start. Speaking of skins, Burke and I are wondering what the skins are made of? Just vinyl? Its definately not vinyl covered or painted aluminum. He said both sides of the skins look the same. Will post pics once I can get them all resized (I'm technically challenged) haha -April
As far as I know, the interior skins of Argosies are all vinyl-coated aluminum. I haven't had them out to see if there's any coating on the back side, though. Now, the interior end caps are all plastic, so both sides would look roughly the same.

re: photos: If you put your photos somewhere like Photobucket, you can just put a link to the photo in your postings then a) you won't fill up your AIRForums quota and b) you don't have to resize.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
My Argosy has vinyl coated aluminum on the inside. I cleaned it with Simple Green and it turned out great.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamrabnw View Post
I appreciate you all so much! You understand exactly what it is that I'm saying and your encouraging! Well, I'll tell you that we spent just under $3k for it. Its axels are great and it has 4 new tires and new brakes. So that I'm thankful for. We will be installing a new water heater, and for the furnace we are thinking of going the route of an AC/heat pump and then getting a safe space heater. Doing this, we figure it will save a little money, but more so it will save precious space under the sink where the HUGE furnace was. Any thoughts? We will also be installing a new range, sink, cabinets, counters and turning the center twins into center bunks. The front goucho will be converted into a larger dinette that can be an extra bed. Hubby says that he's going to use pex throughout. I really like being out there with him and helping where I can...and trying to bite my tongue sometimes
Where should I post our pics? Just in our gallery or on a thread? -April :-)
It sounds like you are considering the heat pump and space heater as a replacement for the furnace. Remember that the heat pumps don't work well when the outside temp drops below 40. I don't know about the Argosy but in my AS, the furnace ducts some heat down below the floor where the tanks are to prevent them from freezing and you won't have that with a heat pump and space heaters. Just suggestions.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Pecision twin temp

We replaced our furnace and water heater with a Precision twin temp tankless water heater furnace combination......and while it is pricey to begin with, we are very happy with being able to have endless hot water when we have hookups and our trailer is very toasty. We have had to replace the blower recently (installed in 2009) but the factory is very helpful. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
monroe , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan guy View Post
It sounds like you are considering the heat pump and space heater as a replacement for the furnace. Remember that the heat pumps don't work well when the outside temp drops below 40. I don't know about the Argosy but in my AS, the furnace ducts some heat down below the floor where the tanks are to prevent them from freezing and you won't have that with a heat pump and space heaters. Just suggestions.
Thank you for that suggestion. Yes, that was our thought...but the temps here at night can get chilly in the summer. So something to think about to sure.

Will look into the combo unit as well. We would like to do it right the first time.

And as far as the skins go, still not sure. Maybe they've been replaced since factory? We'll find out soon. Sounds like hubby is close to pulling the skins and floors.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Not sure what you are refering to with skins. The interior walls are coated aluminum. the partition walls are vinyl coated wood.
We wanted to keep the trailer functional during camping season so as to remember why we were doing all the work. It's easy to get burned out when all you do is work on the trailer, especially if you both work. You only have so much free time. Good Luck. George
Old 01-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
monroe , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiesel View Post
Not sure what you are refering to with skins. The interior walls are coated aluminum. the partition walls are vinyl coated wood.
We wanted to keep the trailer functional during camping season so as to remember why we were doing all the work. It's easy to get burned out when all you do is work on the trailer, especially if you both work. You only have so much free time. Good Luck. George
George, I'm reffering to the actual interior skins/walls. In our trailer The partition walls are made out of some sort of really thin wood/paper...kinda like cardboard almost. The PO pulled all the vinyl off of those little partitions so they're trashed, damp and smelly YUCK! But the interior skins/walls truly don't seem to be aluminum on the underside. Could they be coated in vinyl on both sides?

I'm sure that once he has the trailer completely gutted the work will slow down. After all...demo is the easy part right
Old 01-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Demo is the easy part. Very true. I'm trying to remember when I had some of the walls off. I think they may be coated on both sides. Fear not though, they are aluminum. I take it you have an indoor area to work? That is a huge advantage. It took me a long time because as winter set it, work had to stop. Our interior is really pretty much stock. Just refurbished really. I added a dinnette, but someday I would really like to re do the interior and change the layout. But that will take alot of time and a barn to work in. Not to mention money. Good Luck. Keep it fun. When you get tired or frustrated, crack a beer and step back. George
Old 01-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy 77-22 View Post
I agree with you that the argosy's have character. And we also thought about why buy a 34 year old trailer, when we purchased ours. But every time I walk out side and see it, I say to myself "self - thats one cool trailer". So have fun with the remodel and enjoy your trailer.

I have to agree with Rod - I smile every time I see my Argosy! Sure, it needs a paint job, and PEX, and, and... but we have so much fun camping in it!!!

I'm sorry the PO lied to you, that's just not right. But it sounds like you have the skill, time and money to renovate it, so I'm sure you'll be much happier with a trailer you can customize yourself. You'll also know that it was done the RIGHT way!

Good luck with the June camping plans! Remember that it doesn't have to be fully functional to camp in - a solid floor, air mattress, space heater and a campground with facilities are all you need. Don't let the renovation stop you from getting out on the road!

You mentioned the late summers in the Pacific Northwest. We actually start camping in March or April, and continue until October or November. I know lots of people camp year-round as well. So it's cold an rainy outside - we have a nice aluminum tent to warm up in! Unless the wind is really blowing, I don't mind being out in the rain. That's why we live here.

I'll add my requests for pictures too - I'd love to see your progress! Hope to see you out on the road soon!

Sharon

sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote