Old 04-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
Water pump replacement

My pump appears to be shot (no water, no sound...etc). I suspect it froze over the winter and broke.

I currently have a Flojet Quiet Quad installed, which hardly seemed quiet as it sounded like a jack hammer when on...but it's very quiet now!

Curious what everyone else is using as a replacement Flojet vs. SURflow....and which model?

Thanks,

Dan

Old 04-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
I just replaced the ancient pump in ours with a Surflow Revolution 3gpm. Works well, not silent by any means, but seems well put together. It seemed to be by far the more popular replacement pump.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Both of our Airstreams have Surflow Whisper King pumps. In installed the one in the Caravel in 2003. The one in the Excella was installed by the previous owner. Both are about eight years old, have had much use, and work just fine.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Bex
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
I use sureflow for the trailer (it was already there when we bought) and both my demand pumps on the carpet cleaning equipment I use. A bit more expensive but easy (for me) to replace parts (couldn't find parts for the flowjets) when needed. I have used flowjets in the past and have two or three of them on a shelf that have failed over the last five years or so. Each time I replaced with a sureflow and no failures...............yet!

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #5

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Charlotte , North Carolina
2010 AS Water Pump location

Need to replace my water pump, but I cant locate it to get to it (so it would seem) . I see two possibilities:

1. Remove streetside closet floor, and I will find the pump inside the AS behind the "owners papers cabinet."

Or...

2. Underneath the frame streetside, currently hidden by large piece of steel (sheet metal?) Which will have me dealing with a LOT of bolts holding it up and a potentially heavy hunk of metal.

I know how to fix the pump, I think, but would love to confirm where it is before I play plumber whack-a-mole. Pictures would be helpful if you have them. -Kurt-
Old 10-06-2017, 12:17 PM   #6

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Charlotte , North Carolina
P.S.: I have searched pretty extensively for videos on this topic, and cannot find any responses to WHERE the water pump might be. Someone suggested that there might be a lot of these kinds of videos available, but that was not the case. Most everyone to these very AS forums!
Old 10-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #7
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Shuffling Revolution.... Best bang for the buck.
We full-time with 6 on board. In constant use.... Great performer, and very quiet.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
My pump appears to be shot (no water, no sound...etc). I suspect it froze over the winter and broke.

I currently have a Flojet Quiet Quad installed, which hardly seemed quiet as it sounded like a jack hammer when on...but it's very quiet now!

Curious what everyone else is using as a replacement Flojet vs. SURflow....and which model?

Thanks,

Dan
Before you toss it make sure you have power to it. Check your trailer fuses and water pump internal fuse if it has one. Also try priming the pump.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Gold Hill , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post

Thanks,

Dan
Check the pressure switch to verify the contacts are making. Also check for good ground connection to the trailer frame. A couple years ago, I experienced intermittent pump operation, and discovered that the screw holding the ground lug to the frame was loose.
My 73 Argosy still has the original water pump, and is still working. May be living on borrowed time?
Old 10-08-2017, 06:46 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by istdoc View Post
P.S.: I have searched pretty extensively for videos on this topic, and cannot find any responses to WHERE the water pump might be. Someone suggested that there might be a lot of these kinds of videos available, but that was not the case. Most everyone to these very AS forums!
Mine is under the closet across from the bathroom right behind the CO detector.