Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2009, 06:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
SPOTSYLVANIA , Virginia
water pump

My water pump runs for a split second every 15 mins or so to restore pressure-I cannot find the slightest leak anywhere-can I be possibly leaking water back into the tank?
vcu70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
water pump

Greetings vcu70!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcu70 View Post
My water pump runs for a split second every 15 mins or so to restore pressure-I cannot find the slightest leak anywhere-can I be possibly leaking water back into the tank?
My suspicion is that one of your low point drain valves may be leaking -- either not fully closed or possibly in need of replacement. The moisture wouldn't be visible inside of the coach -- it would be draining through a tube that exits through the bellypan. Another possibility would be a leaking/defective pressure regulator valve.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It could also be losing pressure internally, or you have a very small leak where the shower plumbing is, or even the relief valve on teh water heater.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I had a silimar problem, it was the check valve. This vavle keeps the water pressure up in the lines after the pump shuts off. Mine is located in the pump itself. As a cheap fix, I put another in the line just after the pump. This was more affordable than a new pump. Mine started out in short bursts like yours. When my search for a leak was over ( 3 weeks) the bursts were lasting 3 seconds. some day I might just gett a rebuild kit for the pump head. The check valve was the only solution to me at the time while on the road. the local Tru Value didn't carry the rebuild kit, but they did have pumps-surprise.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcu70 View Post
If you have a Peters and Russel or Jabsco water pump, then you need to replace the internal diaphrams. They can allow the pressre to slowly bleed back into the water tank.

There are overhaul kits available, that when used, gives the pump another 20 years or so of life and service.

However, those kits are a little pricey.

Or, if you see a drip coming out of the city water hose connection, then you need a check valave.

Or, and lastly, there is a water line leak some where in the trailer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Or, it could be simpler. If there are a lot of air bubbles in the water, as it dissolves into the water, it could cause a pressure change. Some city water systems have a lot of air bubbles and when you fill the fresh water tank, you get them. Or a partly filled tank will create air bubbles as you drive.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If the water is passing back through the check valve (water pump) the fresh water tank will fill if the trailer is attached to city water. This would be a simple way to troubleshoot the problem.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
I'm having a similar problem with my 2002 22' CCD. I have assumed I had a leak, but I haven't been able to find one. So... seems I should check for water dripping from the fresh water fill (check valve problem) or bleeding back into the fresh water tank (internal diaphram problem). I assume the check valve is also a part of the pump. Is my thinking right on this?
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
SPOTSYLVANIA , Virginia
well, think I have it fixed-put an inline swing check valve between pump and the tank and replaced the kitchen faucet that had a slow leak. thanks guys
vcu70 is offline   Reply With Quote