Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
lascassas_camper

1975 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Gatlinburg , Tennessee
Waste valve

What do I need to do to install a new 3" size waste valve to the end of my main drain?

*1995 Palamino Mustang Popup Camper

*1996 Buick RM Wagon 5.7L V8, AT/OD, tow pkge, coil over shocks, hitch, brake box, cooler.

*Good Sam Club Life Member
Apache_Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:39 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
From previous post I think I know what you are trying to do. The valves for your black and grey tanks are not functioning and your plan is to place a valve at the exit point of your trailer to hold everything back and then dump everything at once. I can see a problem with this setup.

I believe that your tank arrangement is the same as my 75 Trade Wind. The black tank sits above the floor and the grey tank is below the floor. With one valve at the end of the exit pipe, everything will first enter the grey tank. When that fills, it will then start to fill both the black tank and the shower floor at the same time since they are at the same level.

Contaminating your grey tank is not a good idea and filling your shower with a mix of black and grey water is just wrong.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #3
lascassas_camper

1975 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Gatlinburg , Tennessee
Yeah, that was the idea. Right now neither valve is working...I put a the cap on the end of the tank and ran clean water in both tanks and could not get either to "backup". Can I get a replacement for the stock valves, they seem to be 3 1/2" or so and the replacement valves I've found are 3". I'd really like to just convert the whole thing to standard 3" setup instead of having to use adapter and this and that on the trailer.

(Also, can you send me instructions on how you mounted your new converter? I think we bought the same converter and theres no place to hook up anything on the new converter. I guess I could buy some type of fuse block and add it on)

*1996 Buick RM Wagon 5.7L V8, AT/OD, tow pkge, coil over shocks, hitch, brake box, cooler.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Are you talking ID or OD on the valves? Valves are normally 3 inch ID (interior diameter) and will measure about 3 1/2 inches OD (outer diameter). I may be off the wall, but I have never heard of waste valves on an AS or Argosy that were 3.5 ID. You should be able to use the standard Thetford 3 inch waste valve with 3 inch pipe to replumb the system. azflycaster is right: you will get brown floaties in the shower if you cap the end.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
There are good reasons to have an end cap valve, when the grey is full and the black shows empty or 1/3, it is possible to use the end cap valve to allow some of the grey to back syphon to the black.
When I had two valves go bad I was able to use the end valve as an emergency stop so that you can put off the job of replacements if you monitor and keep tanks almost empty.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Pull the two old valves ... replace them or rebuild them
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
lascassas_camper

1975 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Gatlinburg , Tennessee
I looked at it yesterday, after I removed the aluminum shroud in the bumper compartment, I could get to the valves easier. They are both white and look like replacements. With a little wiggling I got the black tank valve to work, the grey tank valve is stuck shut...I'll replace it eventually.
I ordered a new 3" Twist On waste gate valve, I'm going to remove the old end and mount it on the end of the waste pipe in place of the original AS twist end, that way I'll have the correct size end for the sewer hose and a valve at the end as well.

RV Camper Twist on Waste Valve, 3":eBay Motors (item 190326894150 end time Oct-05-09 13:23:42 PDT)

Old 10-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
lascassas_camper

1975 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Gatlinburg , Tennessee
I cut off the old waste valve end. I added a 3" curved pipe and a new waste valve with the new style connection.

This setup allows me to still open/close the gray/black valves but now I don't have to use the adapter for modern sewer line. (It seems to work ok in the back yard.)

The hardest part was cleaning and sanding all the years of paint off the black pipe from the trailer, so that I could glue the connection on.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
There are good reasons to have an end cap valve, when the grey is full and the black shows empty or 1/3, it is possible to use the end cap valve to allow some of the grey to back syphon to the black.
When I had two valves go bad I was able to use the end valve as an emergency stop so that you can put off the job of replacements if you monitor and keep tanks almost empty.
Do you think this would work when the black tank is above the floor and the gray is below? I don't.

Here's the photo that Apache_Camp posted, lightened a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9091001lt.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	88176  
Old 10-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Do you think this would work when the black tank is above the floor and the gray is below? I don't.
Not likely.
My black tank is above and below while the grey is only below and very shallow, that is why it would work for a small amount of grey if black is almost empty.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:06 AM   #11
lascassas_camper

1975 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Gatlinburg , Tennessee
The waste valve is on the end of the drain pipe, it does not affect either of the tank operations under any circumstance. Both tanks still have their original drain valves.

The only thing it does is keep waste water off of you when you hook up. It does allow you to hook up to the new style waste drain pipe without an adapter.