Old 06-16-2004, 02:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to airstreamDreamer2
Question Wary of the Argosy

My husband wants to get an argosy. This will be our first airstream if we do get it. But I'm a little concerned about a few things. So I decided to ask the pros. How often does the paint have to be replaced? Is it special paint? Very costly? And one last question, do you think a full size bronco can pull an argosy that's anywhere from 20' to 25' long (haven't decided the size yet)?

airstreamDreamer2
airstreamDreamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 02:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Search on "Argosy weigh." There have been several threads already on the weight of Argosys within the last week. Take the dry weight listed in those posts, add about 1000 lbs for your stuff and then see if it is below the towing weight limit on your bronco. That will be listed in your owner's manual.

John

Old 06-16-2004, 03:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Wary of the Argosy

Greetings airstreamDreamer2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamDreamer2
My husband wants to get an argosy. This will be our first airstream if we do get it. But I'm a little concerned about a few things. So I decided to ask the pros. How often does the paint have to be replaced? Is it special paint? Very costly? And one last question, do you think a full size bronco can pull an argosy that's anywhere from 20' to 25' long (haven't decided the size yet)?
Quote:
How often does the paint have to be replaced? Very costly?
The paint is at least if not more durable than what you would find on an automobile. When properly maintained 15 or more years would not be out of the question for the main body paint - - the paint on the galvanized steel domes tends to be a little less durable especially at the joints with the aluminum body panels where dissimilar metal reactions can cause some paint difficulties. Overall, it is generally less costly to maintain the paint finish on an Argosy than a polished finish on an Airstream - - the cost, however, for painting an Argosy approaches the cost of polishing and Plasticoating an Airstream. My Airstream ran approximately $175 per linear foot for professional polish and Plasticoat - - the estimate to properly prepare and paint my Argosy Minuet is approximately $150 per linear foot using the original two-tone colors.

Quote:
Is it special paint?
The top or finish coat paint isn't that much different from those used in the auto industry. The specialty processes involve properly preparing and primering the aluminum and the allowances that must be made for the galvanized end caps. The body shops that I have dealt with in obtaining the estimates for the repaint on my Minuet have indicated that the products for aluminum aren't that much more costly than typical automotive finishes, they just aren't something that will be stocked by shops in small towns where few people have autos with aluminum bodies.

Quote:
And one last question, do you think a full size bronco can pull an argosy that's anywhere from 20' to 25' long (haven't decided the size yet)?
I considered a full-size Bronco for towing my Overlander in '95, but even though it had a sufficient trailer tow rating (6,000 pounds) I had reservations about its length in comparison to the coach. The Minuets would be my preference with such a tow vehicle as they are narrow coaches of lighter weight that would be less likely to pose issues with length despairity. The scan posted below is from the '76 Argosy showroom literature and reflects the Argosy 20, Argosy 22, and Argosy 24 - - the actula gross weight of the loaded coach will likely be approximately 1,500 pounds more than the published empty weight and the hitch weight will likely be about 200 pounds greater. The second image is similar information for the Minuets (1979) - 6.0 Metre, 6.7 Metre, and 7.3 Metre - - again the same caution would pertain to the actual loaded gross weight.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 05:04 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Wow!! thank you for your infomation!! you certainly have educated me. I kinda dreaded getting the argosy because of the paint, but now I think I'm warming to the idea of the argosy. The 20' is the size of the bambi kinda and that's what we were thinking about getting before. But bambis are in such demand that their value doesn't really go down. So the argosy has several different floor plans. I thought there was only one. I think I'm leaning to the twin bed format. But I'm not so sure about the bathroom being in the back. I think it's awkward, and has less privacy. Well, anyway tanks for the info.
airstreamDreamer2
Old 06-16-2004, 05:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

I have one more question. Do the models differ from year to year or is it just cosmetic stuff that changes?
airstreamDreamer2
Old 06-16-2004, 07:02 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
I have one more question. Do the models differ from year to year or is it just cosmetic stuff that changes?
There were minor changes throughout the production run, sort of like what you might find on a car or truck of the same body style, but a different year. Most items were the same, but wallcovering, floor covering, and some appliances were changed from year to year. Argosy 20's were available with several options, for example the front dinette and the dual couch model.The dual couch, also called a twin Gaucho, has the advantage of having more floor space, and a more open feel to it. This is the model we have, and have found it relatively roomy. The Gauchos both convert to almost-double beds. Meals are served on a swing-out table mounted by the door, and extending out in front of the front couch. A biggie we have noticed in our trailer is that we have no tambour doors, that is, the cupboard and storage area doors are real doors, that swing open and closed, as opposed to the tambour doors that roll up into a slot in the cupboard.
Terry
Old 06-16-2004, 07:10 PM   #7
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
How often does the paint have to be replaced? Is it special paint? Very costly?
The OEM paint on Argosies was Dupont Imron, the same stuff used to paint locomotives, so it is very durable. Of course, where and how it has spent its life will make a difference in how long the paint lasts. If the trailer you find does need paint, the fresh paint, if properly applied, will last many, many years. Ours is over 32 years old now, and the lower paint (older ones are two-tone) just now needs repainted, although the upper paint needs another coat, and has been painted once.
Painting will cost about the same as having an Airstream professionally polished, with the benefit that an annual wax job will keep it looking good, and the Airstream will have to be repolished several times over the same time period and use of your one paint job on your Argosy.
Terry
Old 06-16-2004, 08:00 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Our Argosy 20

One year ago I had a stroke so I got rid of my 36' coach and renovated (renewed) a 1973 Argosy 20. Now I'm a happy camper again.
We pull ours with a 1999 Inifiniti QX4. Really sweet!
The Argosy is where it's at now for me. I can't write as good as I like to but so what???
What a perfect trailer (for the two of us)!

BlackBart
(Jerry & Ginny)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-007S.JPG
Views:	614
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	7227  
Old 06-16-2004, 08:06 PM   #9
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Bart,

Welcome to the forum! Glad to see another Florida Argosy owner. Please post as many pictures as you can, we all love to pore over others pictures. Your unit looks fantastic, hope to see it in person some day.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:41 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

I currently do not own an Airstream
LASALLE
Dupont Imron

I agree, Dupont Imron is the only way to go to restore original oem paint.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Try it you'll Love it.

We have a 77 20' Minuet and Love It. We have restored it to original condition and look forward to many years of use. We camp and use it in our business.
Last weekend we worked a Bluegrass festival and one of the bands needed a quiet place to warm up, so I let them use the trailer. I took out the table for the dinette, and there was room for a 5 piece band to warm up. They Loved it and said we should use it for a green room.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN L
I agree, Dupont Imron is the only way to go to restore original oem paint.
I also agree. Imron is what GM used on the GMC motorhomes too. I have a 77 GMC that the paint is still in great shape. Worth the money, IMO Looks great when waxed.
Scottsdale, AZ
chr$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 02:52 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Any place that paints semis should be able to paint your trailer. Imron paint has been used extensively on semis..... availability is the norm, even small semi shops have it!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 06-17-2004, 05:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Gary.......

I wanted to make sure you and Janet saw Jerry and Ginnys ( Black Bart )
Argosy 20. I can rest easy now.