Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2004, 05:25 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Yes, like I wrote earlier, I've had two grey/silver vehicles that have had paint peeling problems like our Minuet. I love the color but no matter how much you wax them, they still seem to peel.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Honest, tomorrow when you are out driving around, take a look at all the cars around you. The majority with horrible paint jobs are light blue metallic and silver. The sun absolutely kills those colors, right down to the paint peeling off them.
Terry
mwilleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 02:32 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to airstreamDreamer2
Thank you so much for all your imfo. I'm so much more at easy buy an argosy now. It certainly has been an education.
airstreamDreamer2
airstreamDreamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 03:43 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
In hindsight, and now that I have some trailering experience, I kinda wish I had purchased a used unit. The Argosy is my favorite recent vintage AS. WAY cool, especially when found in good shape. I'm thinking I may have to have one one day....

Please post pictures when you get it!!

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 07:56 PM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydc
In hindsight, and now that I have some trailering experience, I kinda wish I had purchased a used unit. The Argosy is my favorite recent vintage AS. WAY cool, especially when found in good shape. I'm thinking I may have to have one one day....

Please post pictures when you get it!!
One thing that attracted me to the Argosy was that they have fewer of the little luxury accessories that tend to break and stop working. I am in this to use my trailer, not to spend every weekend trying to repair a whozits module, or trying to get the automatic conflabulator working, because they never had one installed on the trailer to begin with to break.
Terry
Old 07-24-2004, 08:00 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
The problem with the light blue and silver (often called fly-away because of the peeling) is that they look good with low film build. If the paint shop cheats on film build (thickness of the paint) the UV will get to the primer and cause the bond between the primer and top coat to fail. We, at GM, had a major problem with this in the 80s, especially cars built at Willow Run Assembly.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 05:38 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle
The problem with the light blue and silver (often called fly-away because of the peeling) is that they look good with low film build. If the paint shop cheats on film build (thickness of the paint) the UV will get to the primer and cause the bond between the primer and top coat to fail. We, at GM, had a major problem with this in the 80s, especially cars built at Willow Run Assembly.
Jim;
During the 80's, our local GMC/Chevrolet dealership would not even Floorplan silver vehicles because the paint failed before they could sell them. Only would do dealer transfers and build to order.

GM was not the only ones with this problem. Ford repainted thousands of trucks under a "secret" recall. I personally knew several people that got this done.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:26 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

I have a '93 Dodge D250 with two tone grey/silver which had the fenders, doors, and the top of the cab repainted by the dealership. The hood looks pretty bad now but they wont repaint them anymore. I love my truck, but not the paint job!

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyW
Jim;
During the 80's, our local GMC/Chevrolet dealership would not even Floorplan silver vehicles because the paint failed before they could sell them. Only would do dealer transfers and build to order.

GM was not the only ones with this problem. Ford repainted thousands of trucks under a "secret" recall. I personally knew several people that got this done.
mwilleford is offline   Reply With Quote