Old 02-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #29
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think it's a cool looking coach. I can't say if it's worth 10k or not, but I can say that I trust that Rich, Brett and all the folks involved would have done a top notch job.

Now I know the parts installed were more than $10k and labor alone would have made this a much more expensive coach I'm sure, but weren't some of the parts installed advertising donations too? I haven't looked at the spreadsheet, but either way you cut it up, it was a really cool project to watch. Had it been closer I would have loved to pitch in.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:31 PM   #30
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Still just the one bid of $10,000.Under 2 days left in the auction.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:56 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike
What was wrong with the Classic Rides Project? I enjoyed watching the show and even learned a few things.
Agreed. I've watched each Classic Rides episode twice already and am burning the shows to dvd-r for my AS video library as i type this. the series is a keeper which i'm sure i'll reference back to as the work on my '78 excella 500 continues. was the finished product up to Winick (http://www.vintagetrailering.com/home.htm) caliber? - a resounding NO. However, the finished product was viable and did look a lot better in the end.

--dave

PS - did anyone see the winick teaser on the back cover of the new Blue Beret? VERY NICE!
Old 02-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
auction ended

the Vintage Thunday auction ended tonight. highest bid $12,600. reserve was not met.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:27 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Too funny!!!

65GT.....That is just Too funny..... Ed
Old 02-10-2006, 08:45 AM   #34
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micsupply
Agreed. I've watched each Classic Rides episode twice already and am burning the shows to dvd-r for my AS video library as i type this.
How about burning a set for me? I don't get the DIY channel, but I'd love to see it. I heard the host interviewed on "The VAP", and he said that they have no plans to make the series available for purchase.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #35
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I really don't mean to be constantly plugging theVAP, if I'm doing it too much, just flame me here and I'll stop

But... We are going to have Kevin Tetz, the host from Classic Rides back on the show. I'd like to have viewer comments and questions for Kevin. We asked a couple of shows ago and no one has called anything in yet.

We need to work together to make this show cool. So step up to the plate! Don't think someone else will do it so you don't have to, because they are thinking the same way.

So call something in now. Surely you had some questions, like how long did it take to polish it, or why did they choose that color for the living room .

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micsupply
Agreed. I've watched each Classic Rides episode twice already and am burning the shows to dvd-r for my AS video library as i type this. the series is a keeper which i'm sure i'll reference back to as the work on my '78 excella 500 continues. was the finished product up to Winick (http://www.vintagetrailering.com/home.htm) caliber? - a resounding NO. However, the finished product was viable and did look a lot better in the end.

--dave

PS - did anyone see the winick teaser on the back cover of the new Blue Beret? VERY NICE!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:49 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I love the VAP. If I had some progress made and could ask questions that aren't "how do you modernize a trailer" or "come help me do mine" I'd think of something.

We're putting in windows this weekend though, barring rain...
Old 02-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #37

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Same here, no DIY. I enjoy the VAP interviews though, even if I haven't seen the program.

As for Vintage Thunder, it must be the season. I've seen the rediculous prices little AS go for, and I think I could get 12,600 for my Caravel! I'm surprised that's as high as VT went. I know it's a bigger AS, but it's so nicely done, and everything that was done to it is so well documented, I don't know why it didn't go higher. The season, the color, the phases of the moon?

So, will Rog be profiling this auction for his column in AL?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:08 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Vt...

I don't think it was marketed right in the Ebay ad... the colors didn't show up well, not many pics of the interior's better parts (i.e. the new aluminum, etc). However, although we may know the sum of the parts, it is still an old trailer. I think he should have taken the 12,000. For me to go higher, I'd want new cabinets, the rear bath remodeled, etc. Some older cars have the same problem, while it takes a lot of money to fix them up, not everyone see the same perceived value, and they can be bought for much lower than the sum of it's parts (old muscle cars excluded of course!).

Steph - your Caravel has the added value of being 1) shorter 2) aluminum!! 3) got that groovy 60's style!

I LOVe my Argosy! To me it's priceless, but it's still an Argosy. While their values are on the up (esp the shorter ones!), I know in my heart it would never go for what the AS's are going for.
Marc
Old 02-10-2006, 11:56 AM   #39

1968 17' Caravel
Everyone knows the best way to get a deal on a musclecar is to buy someone elses unfinished project! I sold my 68 mustang for $7k, but I had $15k invested. Now it's finished and my friend sent me a copy of the calendar its on!

I'm sure the guy didn't take the 12k because he payed well more than that for it! I think he should get better pictures, and try again in the spring. He needs to wait until that cabin fever really sinks in!

Old 02-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Everyone knows the best way to get a deal on a musclecar is to buy someone elses unfinished project! I sold my 68 mustang for $7k, but I had $15k invested. Now it's finished and my friend sent me a copy of the calendar its on!
Ouch! Oh Steph, that's gotta hurt! How's the new Mustang going, by the way? Any more Miata racing?
Marc
Old 02-10-2006, 03:10 PM   #41

1968 17' Caravel
It's just the way it goes in the car hobby (same goes for trailers). The people who can make money at it are very talented, very lucky, or both. On the plus side, after I sold my 68 mustang for a song I bought a 68 corvette from a friend who had got burned out on the project after spending $35k in parts, which of course doesn't include all his own hours and hours of meticulous labor. I got that for $16k, finished it, enjoyed it a couple years, and sold it for $24. It's all about being in the right place at the right time. Which is why I think VT is worth a lot more than $12k, and I'm sure this guy paid more than that for it. Luckily I'm happy with my little trailer, but I can dream of what I'd do with unlimited money and unlimited room for trailers!