Old 01-31-2006, 02:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
$10,000 seems like a good starting place to me. We have that or a little more in our Argosy and haven't done nearly the work that's been done on Vintage Thunder. Have you priced a paint job for an Argosy lately? $2,000 plus to get it done right and any Argosy from the seventies will need a paint job - regardless of color chocie....

For many original condition is not a plus - but improved function is - should be interesting to watch the auction
I consider VT to be better than new. I've seen this trailer up close, the body work and paint job are top notch. I'd be tempted to purchase it but I've got to spend my money on my Excella and I'm not in love with the color, blue isn't for me.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:15 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I spent a day helping Rich and Brett with VT, one Saturday. You can bet everything was done "right", and no corners were cut. Probably one of the most extensive and complete renovations ever done to an Argosy.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:21 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Xenia , Ohio
Keep in mind that the $10K is still under the reserve price...should be interesting to see what VT goes for in the end.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:36 PM   #18
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
The Airstream Life logo is a vinyl graphic that can be removed. The current owner decided he wanted to keep it. If someone wanted to remove it all they need is a heat gun. As to value I will see if I can find the spreadsheet that covers just the hard costs that were spent on the trailer just to inform a future restorer what they may be in for
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:17 PM   #19
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Check out the cost tally, the sum of the parts is worth more than the opening bid alone.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Project Vintage Thunder expenses.pdf (33.5 KB, 258 views)
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 02-01-2006, 10:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I have seen the trailer also. Some real neat features. But they didn't replace the floor or do much from the kitchen back other than fabrics as I could tell. I don't remember if the axels were changed or not. For 10K you should have new axels.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:41 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Maui , Hawaii
Guess it does ...

Spreadsheet posted by thenewkid64 shows 2 replacement axles by Axis Products Inc. And a new toilet. Hard to tell what else, a lot of the spreadsheet says "plumbing parts" so I dunno if that's faucets or what.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:19 AM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
I have seen the trailer also. Some real neat features. But they didn't replace the floor or do much from the kitchen back other than fabrics as I could tell. I don't remember if the axels were changed or not. For 10K you should have new axels.
From behind the bulkhead between the kitchen and the rear of the trailer, it was in pretty good shape, so the upgrades were primarily above the floor. A new bed, lighting, and freshening of the bathroom were all that was needed. Personally, I believe in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. And yers, the axles and shocks were replaced.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
I was able to see it during the FSR last year - when she was not quite finished.

Yes there are some nice features - and the biggy being the paint job - very vogue and "Harley" Hologram style paint. - Something you have to like. If you are not keeping an Argosy original and it needs painting - I say go for it the rainbow and imagination is your palet.

The list of parts - is impressive and quite a lot for what you see. I think it would be better represented if it were broken out into sections - such as tools purchased to do the job, Electrical, Plumbing, Decorating etc.

For us frugal people who can find the bargains - (I know that several of those items could have been bought for less) but time cost money too.

Feeling like a critque - the only two things I noticed - was (sorry between Brett or Rich) the paint job on the sink and tub - well.....with krylon and one of those spray can nozzles- should have produced much better results - so maybe a lesson in light spray and patience

The other item was a finishing issue. There was a new panel of white laminate used right at the entrance - a neat feature for Emma to draw on. Or for messages - or just for waking up and being artistic. However the cut was not clean along the lines of the trailer - and the white with the dark shadow of space made it very noticible - I asked if it was going to receive a trim of some sort but the response was no.

With any restoration project its value will be the amount the seller is willing to take and the buyer willing to pay....

It was a great first project, and fun to follow - for two DIY'rs they did great and was a perfect opener to start off Rich's new venture. I can not wait for their next project.

Maybe I should offer up our project before we start it - see what someone else can do with a 61 Overlander and a 99 Excella = Hybrid something or other
Old 02-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
As far as DIY projects go, this seems far superior to the restoration on Classic Rides. I was immensely disappointed with that one, after such a promising start...

Whatever it ends up going for, it'll be worth every penny, I'm sure.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
It's got a bid!

Let's see where it goes...the saran wrap has been punctured!
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #26
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
The other item was a finishing issue. There was a new panel of white laminate used right at the entrance - a neat feature for Emma to draw on. Or for messages - or just for waking up and being artistic. However the cut was not clean along the lines of the trailer - and the white with the dark shadow of space made it very noticible - I asked if it was going to receive a trim of some sort but the response was no.
Neither of us was happy with the unevenness of the gap. What I really wanted, and did not find until it was too late, was some of the proper bronze wall channel bent in the proper curve to fasten that side sheet into. The piece I have came out of a similar vintage Argosy and I would be happy to provide it to the new owner if they wish to come and get it.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 02-02-2006, 06:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
You cann't beat an Argosy with a front dinette. All those windows.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:14 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
As far as DIY projects go, this seems far superior to the restoration on Classic Rides. I was immensely disappointed with that one, after such a promising start.
What was wrong with the Classic Rides Project? I enjoyed watching the show and even learned a few things. I also enjoyed reading about the VT project on the website and in the magazine.

Here's the link to the EBAY auction

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote