Old 03-07-2006, 10:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Vintage bits and pieces

Just got my 6 Metre Minuet and need some parts for the Magic Chef range. Most appliance parts stores on the web never heard of a model BT16G. Too old, I guess. Is there a source for parts for this 30 year old range or should I bite the bullet and buy a new replacement?

There is some rust on the bottom of the refrigerator. Has anyone tried derusting and using high quality bondo to smooth out the area, then painting it to match the rest of the refrigerator?

How did the Pergo floor installers get it to stay on the aluminum floor? Or were Pergo floors only put on the plywood floored models?

More questions to come I am sure.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut20
Just got my 6 Metre Minuet and need some parts for the Magic Chef range. Most appliance parts stores on the web never heard of a model BT16G. Too old, I guess. Is there a source for parts for this 30 year old range or should I bite the bullet and buy a new replacement?
On the Magic Chef issue, I have been able to find parts for mine and it is a few years older than yours. I was able to find the pilot light assy. locally from an outfit that only does RV ranges/a-c units/furnaces/and refers. They have a supply of old out of production parts upstairs. Finding these things online is going to be next to impossible. One thing you can try is type the model # into Google and also try the search function on Ebay the same way.

BTW, what is it that you need for your range ?? Maybe someone on here has it ?

Magic Chefs were used in a lot of different rv's. Look up Singletons RV Salvage on the net. You may need to send (email) them a picture of what you need and make a phone call or two.

Janet here on the forums has a Minuet with the aluminum floor too. She may have some ideas about your other questions.

Chris

Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:11 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Welcome to the forums!
If you want to fill in the rust on the botom edge of the fridge, I would recommend a fiberglass-based filler. Bondo will hold moisture, making the problem worse.
If you think you have problems finding Magic Chef parts, you should try finding parts for a Tappan oven, it's even worse.
Stoves aren't that expensive, around $300 or a tad more, for a new one, but try finding parts to fix your first. You may be able to find the parts on the forums classifieds here, or the VAC classifieds, or even Ebay.
Good luck with it.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Thanks for the info. Right about the Bondo. The search goes on for parts.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:51 AM   #5
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Try Colaw RV. I just bought a couple of parts off of a '76 they have on the lot right now. They are nice folks. Just e-mail or call, got my parts in about a week. Here's the link:

http://www.colawrvsalvage.com/

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Beltline

Where does one get the plastic material for the red belt line and rub rail on the Argosy? Does the blue AS material work if there is no red available? This is the plastic material that slips into the aluminum rail that runs around the bottom and middle of the Argosy.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:

There is some rust on the bottom of the refrigerator. Has anyone tried derusting and using high quality bondo to smooth out the area, then painting it to match the rest of the refrigerator?

How did the Pergo floor installers get it to stay on the aluminum floor? Or were Pergo floors only put on the plywood floored models?

More questions to come I am sure.
Let me know what you need, maybe I can help?
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Where does one get the plastic material for the red belt line and rub rail on the Argosy? Does the blue AS material work if there is no red available? This is the plastic material that slips into the aluminum rail that runs around the bottom and middle of the Argosy.
The plastic material should be orange, not red, and I remember seeing several rolls of it at the Airstream company store, you can give them a call. And yes, the blue stuff will work if you can't find orange, it will just look wierd.