Old 12-17-2003, 01:37 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
Here's the detailed story....

The trailer is parked in an industrial area of San Francisco, where a lot of homeless people live. There are also a lot of people living in cardboard boxes, old trailers, tents, etc. I drove by and saw the argosy, it has no license plates, just a note saying that the plates were stolen, and please don't tow. The door is missing, and a blanket is hung in it's place. I knocked, but no one answered. I asked a few homeless people nearby if they knew who it belonged to, but they had no idea.
The next day, I drove by, and there was a wheelchair sitting just outside the entry. I went up, and knocked again, and a 70 something year old woman answered. She told me she had just been approved for section 8 housing, and needed to sell the trailer when she finds a home. She has a medical condition, and whenever she goes into the hospital, other homeless people break into the trailer and steal her belongings. So far, they have taken the door, and one of the ceiling lights, along with some of her personal items. She said I could buy the trailer now, if I could put her up in a hotel for a month. I offered $750, but she wanted that plus hotel money, which I can not afford right now.

So, it's a pretty sad story, I'll keep everyone posted as it unfolds...

Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Austin , Texas
I dunno LoveCraft,

Sounds like these people are trying to take you for a sucker.

I have heard stories like this before. Don't let their hard luck story get to you, besides, I doubt if this person even has the title.

$750 plus a months worth of hotels?? Last time I was in San Fran even a dumpy hotel was close to $100 a day. If I were you I'd just move on.

Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:21 PM   #17
The Painted Pig
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
I'm afraid Chas may be right.

If you really want to follow up on this though ask her who her caseworker is and contact them and inquire about her status with section 8 housing. I assume her caseworker should be aware of her assets, which should include the Argosy. Maybe if you are lucky the caseworker will be helpful.

I realize caseworkers like so many social workers are kept very busy and they aren't required to help you research the Argosy.

Good luck.

Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:02 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
I wasn't going to pay the hotel, regardless. She isn't pushing for me to get her the hotel, she would prefer I wait a month for her to move into her apartment.
If you saw the area where the trailer is, you might change your mind. It's filled with homeless people pushing shopping carts full of recycleables. I don't think they would hesitate to grab anything aluminum they could get their hands on. You might be right about the title, I'm sure this lady does own the trailer, but, judging from her lifestyle, the title is probably lost. If the trailer had a for sale sign on it, I would be suspicious, but, I am the one who approached her.
If I can pick the trailer up with a minimum of hassles, and at a decent price, I figure I can't really lose.

Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote