Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 PM   #1

, Quebec
Value: Argosy 1976 24'

Hey!

I'm new here, very nice place for a newbie!

I'm looking for my first AS to buy and renovate. I wanna buy something cheap and build it as I want it over the next few years...

What do you think of an Argosy 1976 24' for 10,000$US. Seems in decent conditions but I havent inspected it yet, and honestly, I expect to put a lot of money on it anyway to make it like brand new! ;-)

How much would you put on that.

Thanks in advance for you advice and tips, if any, for a first buyer!
jeangabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:54 PM   #2
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
It may be to much for an Argosy unless it is in excellent or restored condition. I bought mine for 2.5 thousand. Plumbing had freeze damage and needed a few patches and the toilet flush valve had seized... everything else was original but worked and the floor is sound. The original paint is thin but I think they all are at this age.

In short you can likely find a better deal, that said I own three trailers and I won't sell the argosy, I love it. The panoramic windows are amazing...

Most importantly since you have now found this site research the crap put of everything so you know what the negative things are to look for and search for how to locate an inspector near you. This site is full of people who can help you inspect possible purchases.

The search function on this site is lacking...most people go to Google type in airforums and then question you are wanting answered.

Good Luck
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Oh shoot...And most importantly...

Welcome to the forums!!!!

You will find so much information here your eyes will spin
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:13 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Welcome to AIRFourms!

My 24' Argosy is a '75. At the price level you're quoting, I'd expect ALL systems to work correctly, all glass windows (i.e. no plexiglass or acrylic unless it's a Minuet), tires with a few years of life left in them and a reasonably solid floor with a usable interior. In short, a trailer you could hitch up and go camping in without too much work. It's not likely to be cosmetically perfect, but it shouldn't be ugly. After that, it's a question of what you think it's worth to you as long as you're looking at it as something to own and love and travel with. If you're thinking about using it a season and reselling, I suspect the $10k is way too high.

Condition, condition, condition. Inspect carefully, look for dry seals, signs of leaks, soft/rotted subfloor, signs of regular use and maintenance, etc.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
In search of an Argosy

Hi Jeangabriel

I sent you a private message about my Argosy. Will wait for your reply.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote