Old 05-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
1976 Argosy 24
Myrtle Creek , Oregon
Exclamation UUUGGGhhhh

I can not decide what trailer I want for my wife and I. I just finished and sold the 1970 Streamline Duke, I sold the Safari and the Casita. Now I have a 1995 Airstream 25' Excella, and a 1976 Argosy 24'. I think I have narrowed down the size that would be best for us. I need dual axle, and a queen walk around bed but I do not want to go over 26 feet so my choices are limited. The 95 has rear twin beds and I can convert that to a queen walk around but by the time I put on a new clear coat and take care of the dents and finish a lot of work on the inside I think this trailer will sell for exactly what I put in it and I may lose some money on my man hours. The woman I bought it from was really not an honest person but I gambled on the trailer and I kinda know what makes a good trailer vs. a bad one so no one to blame here but me. The 76 Argosy has a double bed in the middle and that may be a little too hard for my wife and I to climb over one another to get up. I guess my big question to everyone is 'What Airstream or kin should I be looking for that can have a queen walk around, less than 26 feet long, has a grey water tank, (newer than 74) and is worth investing in just in case I finish it, camp in it and decide it's not right I can sell it and not lose a bunch of that hard to get green stuff?'

Old 06-03-2014, 12:02 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I lost count of how many trailers you've had. I think you're on your 5th (?). So if you can't find the perfect trailer, why not gut one and re-build it to your specifications? You have enough knowledge garnered from owning all the other trailers to find one that is close, so get it and then finish it to your specs. You're a lucky man, you have a first world problem.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Virginia Beach , Virginia
fore and aft Queen in a 25 footer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howdy View Post
I can not decide what trailer I want for my wife and I. I just finished and sold the 1970 Streamline Duke, I sold the Safari and the Casita. Now I have a 1995 Airstream 25' Excella, and a 1976 Argosy 24'. I think I have narrowed down the size that would be best for us. I need dual axle, and a queen walk around bed but I do not want to go over 26 feet so my choices are limited. The 95 has rear twin beds and I can convert that to a queen walk around but by the time I put on a new clear coat and take care of the dents and finish a lot of work on the inside I think this trailer will sell for exactly what I put in it and I may lose some money on my man hours. The woman I bought it from was really not an honest person but I gambled on the trailer and I kinda know what makes a good trailer vs. a bad one so no one to blame here but me. The 76 Argosy has a double bed in the middle and that may be a little too hard for my wife and I to climb over one another to get up. I guess my big question to everyone is 'What Airstream or kin should I be looking for that can have a queen walk around, less than 26 feet long, has a grey water tank, (newer than 74) and is worth investing in just in case I finish it, camp in it and decide it's not right I can sell it and not lose a bunch of that hard to get green stuff?'
I don't know how tall you are, but I have a 25 FB Eddie Bauer. I am not a huge fan of the sideways queen... and at 5' 6" I had a brainstorm. Why not put in a VERY short walk around Queen, that can have a flip up foot extension(or two - one for each side) that's about 12 inches long and has very very rounded corners so you can get around the end for the nighttime comfort stop.

If you think about what everyone hates about gauchos and dinettes that convert to beds are the lumps and valleys between cushions that make staying comfortable and asleep a near impossibility (hey 5 shots of scotch and zzzzrg!) If it's just support for your feet how good does the cushioning have to be? Think of a recliner with an integrated foot rest.

AN RV queen is 70 X 75 so if you're not really tall you can almost sleep crossways on it without lapping over... Why not just think of it in a different orientation?

Paula
that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
1976 Argosy 24
Myrtle Creek , Oregon
Lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFly View Post
I lost count of how many trailers you've had. I think you're on your 5th (?). So if you can't find the perfect trailer, why not gut one and re-build it to your specifications? You have enough knowledge garnered from owning all the other trailers to find one that is close, so get it and then finish it to your specs. You're a lucky man, you have a first world problem.

That is like saying 'You're a lucky man, you have fingers to type with????
I earned my freedom in the United States Marine Corps and I feel guilty about nothing I have done to or in 2nd and 3rd world Countries.
The only luck I have is simply being alive and well enough to work on my trailers. I may have to go through a dozen or more trailers to find the one I really want to keep as my own, so if you have experience in converting a trailer to a queen bed I would love to hear it. I am looking for advice from someone who has already done this. Anything is possible with a trailer but cost is something I am concerned about.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #5
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I wanted a queen we could have access from either side, and since the trailer is mainly for the wife and I, we put the bed up front and made a studio apartment. My trailer is 31', but if you were inclined to do so you could do the same with a shorter trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1402026043.159158.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	795.6 KB
ID:	213624
J. Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote