Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
update

Finally figuered out how to clean the interior of what was a very disgusting water tank. Didn't really want to buy a new one but even after
using all the different cleaners available, it was not usable. There was a black sludge on the bottom.
Then the light bulb: Bought a deck/tank inspection plate from West Marine for 14.99. Easy to clean now and watertight.
On the right are a couple of floor repairs and now fitting the table carrier.
On the left are the new electrical components. Will fish the new 7 pin wire tomorrow and finish up the wiring.
Installed a new FanTastic fan in place of the forward vent last week. Lucky for me there was a 12 volt wire bundle right there.
Waiting for the new upholstery to be delivered. Then it's time to head north. The exterior painting will have to wait till the fall. Looks terrible on the outside as I've been reefing out and recaulking everything. Just the waste tanks left to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	159792  
tarnished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Looks good!

Nice job and way to think outside the box!

Did you figure out what the black sludge was and, was the issue ‘you couldn’t reach the corners’ to remove it?

Look forward to hearing more…
newsgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Tarnished - "Bought a deck/tank inspection plate from West Marine"

Great Idea!

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Good idea on the inspection plate. Also noticed you have repaired the floor in front of the door/window. Did you find the leak? I have the same repair to do.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
answers

Never figured out what the sludge like stuff was. Once the opening was in the top I was able to scrub the inside of the tank and reach into the corners by attaching a scrubber to the end of a stick.

No, I haven't fixed the leaks entirely near the door. About 85% located and caulked but there is one persistent one left. Found a couple of missing rivets on the top when installing the fan. I suspect the remaining leak is from the top of the bottom trim piece somewhere in the front, or to the rear of the door or possibly(???) in the fender well somewhere.
tarnished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Thank-you for the updated answers.

I am sure you will feel me comfortable now knowing the water you will be using is as clean as can be. And, if the sludge re-appears, you now have a way at getting into the tank to clean up the mess.

Sounds like you are knocking the leaks off one by one and attacking other projects as you go.

Good Luck!

Chris
newsgauger
newsgauger is offline   Reply With Quote