Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Hendersonville , Tennessee
Unexpected opportunity?

I just registered yesterday and had anticipated taking my time finding a trailer.
Murphy strikes. There is a 77 22 foot Argosy that just popped up on ebay here in Nashville. I am going to try to take a look at it this week, but I don't find an inspection checklist through the search feature. Is there one?
I know this is asking a lot, but if someone could take a look at the auction and provide feedback it would really help. I can see the exterior dents and the peeling paint, and the interior shots leave alot to be desired. What I'm more concerned about is what I can't see and what I should do to check out known potential problem areas. I also don't know what should be there and is not, or what has been replaced with non-OEM parts or appliances.
I was delighted to learn that there are individuals that will assist as an inspector. Now that was unexpected. Are there any inspectors in Nashville?
John
Hawkeye5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Checklist

John,
Try using the search utility and look for checklist and inspection. try one word searches.
Here is a link that may get you started.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...ist-39326.html

Good luck in your search.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Thanks, Carl. Those were most helpful. I did a cut and paste job. I will feel more prepared.
My bad on the year, is a 73.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Hawkeye, Don't get in a panic just because it appeared first. I have not been able to find it on ebay yet, but if it's one of the 22' rear door models, be aware they had towing problems - wheels too centered on the trailer body to provide enough hitch weight. Don't want your first experience to be bad. Be sure to looke carefully at the axel condition, floor condition (that means under the cabinets, under the bath sink cabinet, in any outside access doors, and under the front couch. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums! When we least expect it...but take your time and make sure you know what you are getting and that you are getting what you want.

Ha! I should talk. Once we made the decision to move from a small moho to an Airstream...were planning to do it sensibly over several month's time...selling the car and getting a truck, selling the motor home, and them find the right AS, etc, etc, etc...we ended up doing it all wihtin a weeks' time! Once you make that decision to go for it, sometimes it just happens!

Good luck with your quest and enjoy the ride...and keep us posted!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:16 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Thanks guys.
No rear door, just one side door. Dual axels.
I'm interested because it has undergone a partial interior renovation, it is local, and within the size range I'm looking for. Plus the price seems in line, or at least not out of line. I may kiss a bunch of frogs before finding the prince and I want some experience looking so I know what to look for. As there is a buy-it-now option the trailer may be sold by tomorrow afternoon, which is the quickest I can get there. It is also listed in the local fish wrap.
Every one says to check the axels. What am I looking to find? Bent axel? I mean, what else could there be?
Did these trailers come with a front window cover?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #7
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
They didn't come with a front window cover, but you can add one for around 700.00.

A 73 won't have a grey waste water tank - only black.

22 is a great size and these were unique and somewhat experimental trailers.

If the axles haven't been replaced, eventually you will be face with this expense. They lose their arch and ability to cushion the ride. You can tell a couple of ways, a quick look at the relative height of the wheel well to the center of the hub may be enough to tell if you have a picture. When the torsion axles are good, you should see about 2 to 3 inches of the tires "above" the wheels. Otherwise you would need to crawl underneath and have a look.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
John,
I will send you a PM with my cell #. You can call anytime Sat. or Sunday if you want to discuss issues while looking in person.

martin.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Thanks everyone for the information. I've received an email about a gathering of the Music City Airstreamers from T. Shepherd also. I will try to attend to look at what an Airstream or Argosy should look like.
I'm going to take a look tomorrow. I doubt I will purchase as I just don't know enough yet, but the experience should be valuable.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
If this is the one your talkin about on ebay from the pics it looks really nice to me but I am no expert by along shot .. good luck said it was in nashville tn....SAM Ebay# 200212754543

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
It appears from the photo of one side, that the tires are barely above the top of the wheels.

If thats the case, the trailer will need new axles.

Normally, with good axles, you should see at least 2 inches, or more, of the tire, above the top of the wheels.

Buyer, beware!

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Yes Sam, that is the one.

What do you guys think about the axels? There seems to be 2" above the wheel rim. I tried to see the torsion arms, but there was pooling water all around. I saw the shocks, but not the torsion arms. The photo is on the door side and the trailer is nose high, not level. I couldn't see well, but I didn't notice any separation of the frame from the shell in the rear. I gather this happens when the axels are bad. With all the rain we have, I didn't see any leaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	629.2 KB
ID:	57529  
Old 04-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye5
Yes Sam, that is the one.

What do you guys think about the axels? There seems to be 2" above the wheel rim. I tried to see the torsion arms, but there was pooling water all around. I saw the shocks, but not the torsion arms. The photo is on the door side and the trailer is nose high, not level. I couldn't see well, but I didn't notice any separation of the frame from the shell in the rear. I gather this happens when the axels are bad. With all the rain we have, I didn't see any leaks.
The axles look good.

So much for off angled pictures.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Thorn Hill , Tennessee
Hawk, it looks good in the pic's, but the description lacks a ton of info. How did it look in person? My '73 20 footer only had floor rot under the shower pan & a small place at the front door. The exterior is also similar & i am planning on striping/re-painting sometime soon. All in all i don't think the "buy it now price" is un-reasonable. I proably have that much tied up in mine......
RD
MotorSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:40 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Well, I bought it.
The owner had told me what the reserve price was, and that is what I purchased it for, $3500. He told me that was what he had in it from the renovations.
The interior is nice. The exterior has some dents and chipping paint.
I don't think I can get hurt too bad at that price considering some of the other non Argosy/Airstream campers I had looked at and the prices.
I have 6 years until retirement and I hope to do something to improve the trailer each year.
Looks like I'll be around the forum for a while.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Congrats

Hawkeye,
Congratulations and hopefully you can't go wrong with a price like that. Welcome to the club . Keep us updated with pictures and progress on exterior refurbish.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Congratulations and good for you. I've looked at a lonely 22ft, rear door Argosy sitting at the lake for two years. Left several notes in case the owner ever comes around, but nothing. I love my Argosy and they are easy to pull and easy to work on. I hope you have as much fun with yours as I've had with mine. Now change your avatar and give us some pictures.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Hawkeye5, Glad to have you here on the FORUMS. Argosy is the secret we're trying to keep the AS owners from knowing about. I am sure you'll enjoy making the Argosy your "own". Post some pictures when you have a chance.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote