Old 04-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
Triad-utrad TU-430-2 charger

I have long suspected I could use a new "Univolt" as I a have gone through a few batteries over the last 5 years.

My unit is a battleship gray/blue in color and was marked with what's in the subject line. It also has a separate fuse panel mounted on a A-frame pedestal in front of it that is made of bent aluminum and mounted to the floor.

It appears stock, but everything I've read seems to indicate that the older ones did not have detached fuse panels (FYI they are glass fuses). From what I have described would this indicate it would be any easy swap out to a newer unit and what would be the recommended replacement?

Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
I'm not sure about the model number, but we had a Triad-Utrad "Univolt" in our 1980 Airstream. Our fuse panel was also separate from the charger.

We replaced ours with an Intellipower. Replacement is very straightforward. There are essentially only 4 wires to connect, two for 120 VAC input (well, OK, 3 wires if you count the safety ground) and two for the DC output, + and -.

In addition to taking better care of your battery you will find that a modern electronic converter will eliminate any annoying hum you used to hear from the old one, and save about 40 pounds, as the old one was a real boat anchor.

Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
On ours, the fusebox was attached to the Univolt, and it was determined that it was shot.

The steel clips that held the glass barrel fuses had lost their tempter and gained resistance. The net effect of that was that the fuses always stayed hot heated up to the point of destroying the wire.

For about $40 we bought a lovely new fusepanel that was in a steel enclosure and was complete with a hinged lid.

Amazingly, replacing the fusebox and Univolt solved problems we were having with lights not coming on. Very satisfied with the outcome!
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote