Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2004, 09:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Trailer Brake Problem 77 Argosy

We just Purchased a 77 24 foot Argosy. No Manuals. The Electric Brake (tekonsha 90185) we installed on The Chevy keps blowing the 40 amp fuse once the trailer is hooked up. All of the lights, brake and turn signals work without the electric control, but again once the electric control is pluged in and the trailer is hooked to the truck the fuse under the chevy's hood pops. I'm wondering if the breakaway has something to do with it shorting out? Any help would be wonderful.
The Bohners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 10:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Who set this up? Was your tow vehicle prewired under the dash and did you use the available Chevy pigtail for your brake controller?

Did you have to do the conversion at the old 7-way plug? Tell us more please.

I have blown a truck fuse by having the ignition on when I plug something in. Is everything turned off?

The breakaway wouldn't likely be causing this. The circuit is normally open unless it is pulled. That system relies on the trailer battery to activate the brakes. Activating the breakaway would fry your brakes if done for more than a very few minutes. I think it also fries the Prodigy if you do it by accident...! In open or closed state I don't see how it would blow a fuse in your tow vehicle.

Comment back in this thread earlier in the evening on a weeknight and I suspect many will chime in.

Welcome to the fun world of AirstreamForums! ...er -- ArgosyForums?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 11:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Trailer Brake Problem 77 Argosy

Greetings The Bohners!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bohners
We just Purchased a 77 24 foot Argosy. No Manuals. The Electric Brake (tekonsha 90185) we installed on The Chevy keps blowing the 40 amp fuse once the trailer is hooked up. All of the lights, brake and turn signals work without the electric control, but again once the electric control is pluged in and the trailer is hooked to the truck the fuse under the chevy's hood pops. I'm wondering if the breakaway has something to do with it shorting out? Any help would be wonderful.
What you are experiencing is a common experience among the new owners of Vintage Airstream products. The cause is the fact that Airstream and Argosy utilized an umbilical cord wiring diagram that doesn't correspond to that used by our modern tow vehicles. It is rather easy to remedy - - you may be able to simply rewire the trailer end that you have, but it may be best to have a new trailer end available as there is often corrossion inside the connector. The color codes for your Argosy wiring (pay particular attention to the function of each wire color--some are different than in the current standard) can be found in the following:

Airstream and Argosy Bargman Connector Wiring Schematic

Your modern tow vehicle will likely have the industry standard Bargman connector wiring that can be found at:

Modern Standard Bargman Connector Wiring Schematic

The problem that you are having is far from unusual. What is likely causing your problem is that the charge line on your tow vehicle is connecting to the brake terminal on the trailer. Rewiring the trailer end IS NOT difficult - - I avoid do-it-yourself projects as much as is possible, but this is one that I have handled on both of my coaches - - a 12-volt garden tractor battery with a set of alligator clips can help in verifying the function of each of the wires in your trailer connector as you connect them (based on their function--not their color) to the marked teminals of your new connector.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:33 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thank you!

Thank you Kevin for the Info. Worked like a charm.
The Bohners is offline   Reply With Quote