Old 06-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
Tow Hitch problem

I'm getting ready to hit the road for the first major trip in July, and I bought a new 2014 Ram Ecodiesel truck to help with that trip. I'll post another thread later and report the awesome Airforums community on how the truck does with fuel mileage, etc.

At this time, however, I'm just trying to get my new TV to hitch to the trailer, as it's significantly higher than the old TV. I looked at the towing thread for advice, but I'm not finding what I need. I was able to find how to properly measure the trailer and hitch height. It's a 9 inch drop! I'm afraid I'll never find a set-up that has that kind of drop. Here's a photo of the current hitch set up attached to the OLD TV. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with a 9 inch drop??
Hitch Photos3 - Photo Gallery

Old 06-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentMetal View Post
I'm getting ready to hit the road for the first major trip in July, and I bought a new 2014 Ram Ecodiesel truck to help with that trip. I'll post another thread later and report the awesome Airforums community on how the truck does with fuel mileage, etc.

At this time, however, I'm just trying to get my new TV to hitch to the trailer, as it's significantly higher than the old TV. I looked at the towing thread for advice, but I'm not finding what I need. I was able to find how to properly measure the trailer and hitch height. It's a 9 inch drop! I'm afraid I'll never find a set-up that has that kind of drop. Here's a photo of the current hitch set up attached to the OLD TV. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with a 9 inch drop??
What's the hitch setup on the new rig? Did you put the old hitch receiver on the new TV? You will need a different hitch head at least. I have an Equalizer and the hitch head can be dropped quite a bit, not sure if 9" is a possibility.

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
Hi Rich. The new TV has a factory receiver.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Try someone like Curt mfg. They make a lot of stuff for receiver hitch assemblies.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #5
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
SEATTLE , Washington
These guys play in the lifted truck market, and they are dealers for several hitch makers. They may have some ideas.

Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance – 4 Wheel Parts
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Atascadero , California
Quote:

What kind of weight distribution hitch is that? The reason I ask is that it doesn't look like it would accept an adjustable drop shank, which is probably what you would need. https://www.hitchmart.com/commerce/c....jsp?catId=281
Old 06-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Hi Rich. The new TV has a factory receiver.
Sorry, I said 'receiver' but meant hitch. I assumed your new TV came with a receiver. I wanted to know if your intent was to use the old hitch on the new TV

If you're trying to use the old hitch in the new receiver you're not going to make that work. You're going to need a new WD hitch that will drop down to the trailer's tongue height. Have you looked at the Equalizer hitch? Similar but heavier version of what you have. Ball height is adjustable and there are a couple of different sizes of shanks.

Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The €œAmerican Original€ with 4-Point Sway Control„ and Weight Distribution

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
Thanks so much everyone who has responded. It does indeed look like I'll need to get an Equalizer or something like it.. I was trying to used some of our existing components, but the "adjustable drop shank" won't fit with our current system, as it is welded at the point where the bolts would go. It's an older model Reese hitch. I guess I'll suck it up and buy a new one
Old 06-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
You can reuse the bars and brackets, just purchase a new trunnion head and drop draw bar. They are available at Etrailer and other places.

Bill

Quote:
Thanks so much everyone who has responded. It does indeed look like I'll need to get an Equalizer or something like it.. I was trying to used some of our existing components, but the "adjustable drop shank" won't fit with our current system, as it is welded at the point where the bolts would go. It's an older model Reese hitch. I guess I'll suck it up and buy a new one
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
This is what solved the problem on my 13 ram 2500 4x4 diesel. It is 8.75 inch drop. Actually I have one more hole down available if needed

Amazon.com: Curt Manufacturing 17124 Adj Hitch Bar 11 In X 8 3/4 In No Rise: Automotive
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Atascadero , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
You can reuse the bars and brackets, just purchase a new trunnion head and drop draw bar. They are available at Etrailer and other places.

Bill
x2 on Etrailer. I buy lots of stuff from them. Good prices and they are great at providing online answers to questions people have about use and fitment for all their products.