Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
TV is '99 Range Rover 4.6HSE , California
Toilet->Black holding tank connection

Info: 1975 22' Argosy rear door, all original toilet/tank system as far as I know.

I think we need a new toilet discharge seal between the bowl and the black tank. When I pre-fill the toilet w/water and let it sit, it slowly drains out suggesting the seal isn't tight. And we may have some odor as well - again, indicating a possible seal issue.

A few ?'s:

1. Is there some kind of seal/gasket/??? in this coupling?
2. Should the seal be 100%, thus holding the pre-fill water?
3. Is the repair easy? I'd imagine it might not be pleasant due to the need to deal w/the black holding tank...

Any other insight is appreciated.

Steve/Les/Sophie
Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
There is usually a foam seal that the toilet sets on. After 36 years it has likely lost some of that pliability so necessary to doing the job. Get the type of toilet you have in case there are different seals, then get the seal at your local RV parts supplier.

If you run water through the toilet enough to flush the tank out, the whole process is not bad. Remove the toilet by disconnecting the water and removing the nuts that hold it down to the fitting on the top of the tank. The toilet pulls up and off. The seal may be stuck to the bottom of the toilet or stuck to the top of the tank. Take the old seal off, fit the new seal, put the toilet back down, put the nuts back and screw the toilet down. Connect the water and check for leaks.

I kinda wondered if the leak was the seal or the knife valve in the toilet.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
TV is '99 Range Rover 4.6HSE , California
Thx - is it possible to replace the knife valve only?

Yeah, I think I may have misspoke a bit. I think the issue is what you call the knife valve INSIDE the toilet rather than the seal from it to the tank.

If I fill the bowl w/water and wait a few minutes, the bowl is empty - which seems to indicate the knife value (?) that opens when you flush the toilet. I think that's where the leak is, and I can only assume it shouldn't leak at all - in other words, the bowl should hold water until flushed...

TIA to all.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
try this thread for ideas:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446...ter-43441.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Just for you to consider...
What you have is a 30+ year old plastic toilet that has had God knows how many, and how much, and of what, placed in on and around it.
It would probably help the "feel" of the bathroom to get a new low-profile toilet, and put it in. You are going to have to take the old one out to reseal it, why not just put in a new john, and be done with it for years?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lynchburg , Tennessee
You might try the coat hanger first. Just clean out the groove the knife blade sets in. Cheap and easy, it fixed mine. Then give all users the "proper flushing instructions".
driverjohnlh is offline   Reply With Quote