Old 05-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 22' Argosy 22
Harlan , Kentucky
$$$$ To Paint An Argosy

What is the norm or close amount to paint an Argosy. I have a 22 foot Argosy and I have one estimate of 1800 to 2000 dollars. That is having it painted plus some dent removel. I was expecting around 1500 at the most. I have one more person coming out to look at the Argosy to give me an estimate. What is a fair amount?? The upholstery is costing 1100 and I thought it would be around 5 or 6 hundred plus another 2100 on Repairs at an RV dealer. I did not realize it was going to cost so much money to fix it up but Hopefully we can go camping soon

Old 05-15-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Seem rather cheap if they are gonna pull a dent and paint it. I would have thought a good paint job costing at least in the $5k ballpark, but to be honest, I have more exp with cars than RVs.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Not cheap

Hello Denise.. My hubby does collision repair... now retired but is going to do our 30' Argosy.. he has done the 26' one we had.. it turned out great.. it would definitely be in the 4500-5000 range and could go higher..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
I recently received an estimate to paint our 24' rear door Argosy.
I strip the paint, fix the dents and have it stripped of exterior lights and molding for painting.
Grand Total: Labor = $2500, Materials about $1000.
That is Mask, Prep wash, Primer coat, Color coat and Clear coat. Sounds like a good deal to me. This is a professional paint shop at a long time RV dealership.
Guaranty is the key word, anyone can do a bucket job. Quality and after service support. See if your painters will put it in writing.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
Hello Denise.. My hubby does collision repair... now retired but is going to do our 30' Argosy.. he has done the 26' one we had.. it turned out great.. it would definitely be in the 4500-5000 range and could go higher..
If that is the one in your avatar....looks GREAT!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 22' Argosy 22
Harlan , Kentucky
The man said it would run around 2000 and that he stands behind his work. I live in a very small town that may be why it is cheaper? This man came highly recommended by some good friends of mine. It will not be done for a few weeks. When it is I will post pictures. I can't wait to see the final result.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Denise, just please do your research on this forum for posts about the painting process before you turn your Argosy over to someone to repaint. Do this so that you know what is needed, what needs protection, what cleaners to use beforehand, what primer, what kind of paint. Make sure your painter selection fits what you've learned about the job. You'll find so much information here. I know I'd not want to begin such a project without first doing lots of research, which maybe you've already done Best wishes and we'll look for the pics! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Here is the 26' Argosy

Hello Silvertwinkie.. The one in our avatar is the 30' that is getting the paint and restoration job.. Here is a pic of the one we have done and sold...
Attached Images

WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Properly and professionally done, painting your trailer can cost between $4500 to $6000.

Sergei
Old 05-16-2007, 05:02 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 22' Argosy 22
Harlan , Kentucky
The paint that is on it now is not that bad. It is the dents that I don't like. Is there anyway to just get the dents out? without painting the whole trailer??
Old 05-16-2007, 05:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
Hello Silvertwinkie.. The one in our avatar is the 30' that is getting the paint and restoration job.. Here is a pic of the one we have done and sold...
Sweet looking Argosy! Nice paint job!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
A lot depends on how bad the dents are and where they are. If they are mid-panel dents that are relatively shallow, try a little suction with a plumber's friend or a glass lifting suction cup. Set it in place and pull while it has suction. Most aluminum doesn't remember well, but the curvature of the Argosy can help pop it out. Be careful and work from the edge of the dent into the center and you may do some good. Worth a try.

If the dent is small and deep, you likely have to get behind it to get it out. Not a lot of fun. And aluminum stretches so the shape may be lost. These might be body filler candidates if they are in a relatively stiff area - near a rib or a stay, for example.

I have a little trouble with the idea of body filler on an Argy. The panels are more flexible than those on a car and I wonder if the body filler can last with that flexibility. I'd sure ask someone who has done it before I put Bondo on an Argy.

It is relatively easy to touch up paint on an Argy. Krylon and Rusoleum make colors that are quite close to the ivory/white. While not as good as a paint job with auto paint, it does 'pimp the ride' and will last for a few years. Colors like Canvas White or Almond are pretty close to original.